Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT Sylvain Sylvain live
Posted by: johnnythunders ()
Date: July 24, 2018 13:21

For any New York Dolls fans I can highly recommend Sylvain's current one-man (and one woman) show, currently touring the UK

My review of Sunday's London gig here [onlyrockandroll.london]

His new book looks to be a hoot as well...

Re: OT Sylvain Sylvain live
Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: July 24, 2018 13:57

Sylvain Sylvain is great, a NYC rocker! I love his first LP , the one with "Teenage news" on it. Johnny Thunders was punk and Sylvain was Rockandroll: a great mix for the Dolls. I am glad Sylvain is still musically active.

Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: July 24, 2018 15:04

Thanks for the review. Seeing him in Glasgow on Thursday.

Date: July 24, 2018 15:49

Let me know how it goes! Alison Gordy looks and sounds great - I last saw her in 1993 backing Johnny Thunders...

Date: July 24, 2018 17:31

Will do! Seen him a couple of times with the NY Dolls. I imagine this will be rather different.

Date: July 24, 2018 18:06

More jokes...

Date: July 30, 2018 12:19

He was great and Alison complemented him beautifully. Even better than I had hoped and I've been into the Dolls since the first album (I was still in school). Sylvain worked hard and there was less clowning about than when I've seen him before.

The organisation, however, was a shambles. When we turned up for the doors opening at 7.30, we heard the end of Sylvain's sound check and got a wave from him. We were then told that we wouldn't get in until 8.30, so we went to a nearby pub. We were joined by other fans who advised that they had been told to return at 9.00. Oh well, more booze.

Returned to the hall. There was a notice that Richard Jobson couldn't do the Q&A due to family reasons, but we met another guy who said he was doing it. Didn't like the support, but loved Sylvain 'n' Alison. Problem was that they went off stage close to 11.30. Because of public transport and work obligations (I had to get up at six the next morning), we had to leave before the Q&A and signing, so loved the music, drank more than I had planned and was disappointed not to hear the Q&A and get a signed book.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: July 31, 2018 02:01

I saw Dolls back in 1975 at Tokyo Dome (aka Korakuen Stadium).
I remember I was so disappointed that Johnny didn't appear at the show.
However, their performance was great.
David Johansen brought a "blow-up doll" to the stage in Looking For A Kiss.
What a memory!

By Bob Gruen

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-31 07:36 by Toru A.

Date: July 31, 2018 15:27

My review of Sylvains' (excellent) new autobiography here - it contains many of the stories we heard from the stage at recent UK gigs and much more besides.

Recommended.

[onlyrockandroll.london]

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: August 1, 2018 02:35

"My suggested title for the book is Sylvain Sylvain: So Good They Named Him Twice."

HA that's great.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: August 1, 2018 03:42

johnnythunders
Let me know how it goes! Alison Gordy looks and sounds great - I last saw her in 1993 backing Johnny Thunders...

She must've been the life of the show. Thunders died in '91.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: August 1, 2018 03:43

Glam Descendant
"My suggested title for the book is Sylvain Sylvain: So Good They Named Him Twice."

HA that's great.

Of course, that's his stage name. His birth name is Sylvain Mizrahi (and yes, Isaac is a cousin of his). Don't mean to be bitchy... Syl is a great guy.

Date: August 1, 2018 10:07

ab
johnnythunders

She must've been the life of the show. Thunders died in '91.

You are of course correct. It was the last London date that JT played, with the Oddballs. I don’t have Nina Antonia’s excellent book with me to give me the exact date. It was as you suggest pre-1991.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2124
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home