Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

What happened to the good old press conference?
Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: April 11, 2018 04:31

Brooklyn Bridge for Bridges in 97.
The yellow zeppelin 2002 at Van Courtland Park, New York,
The 3 song mini-gig at Julliard School 2005.
And since then?
It all went online to RS com.
Videos - smart and well produced - took over the job of good old press confrence.
A lost.
I think.

Re: What happened to the good old press conference?
Posted by: Paulhanrahan ()
Date: April 11, 2018 04:41

Voodoo Lounge was excellent too, they came in on the "Honey Fisk" a yacht once owned if I recall correctly by JF Kennedy and of course the Steel Wheels presser at Grand Central Station.I agree these were great.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 11, 2018 05:28

Yes a shame they dont go all out anymore as it was an exclamation point of hype before the tour even started!
Nowadays, they don't put much effort into it at all - it's almost like an infomercial you see on tv in the middle of the night.
The 3 song mini-gig at Julliard School 2005 was amazing and I know several who were there to experience it firsthand!

I still have two of the inflatable yellow blimps sold during Licks (about 3 feet long) - one of them floating from the rafters at my art studio, and another one still sealed.

(photo Bob Gruen)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-11 05:58 by Hairball.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: April 11, 2018 06:44

The days of Rolling Stones "world tours" are over. The band cleverly adjusted their live shows activities to small blocks of mini tours. Ongoing entertainment, but age adjusted pace.
It wouldn't make sence to have press conferences for each and every block ...
I attended the 2002 and 2005 press events. It felt very personal and they are greatly missed. But "the times they are a changing" cool smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 11, 2018 08:41

Peeple kant torque no more .... twotter...FB...text ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 11, 2018 14:22

Its not just because its now an online thing.

they havent launched a world tour since 2005, which was also the last time they toured behind a new record.

Its simply no longer a major newsworthy event.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: April 11, 2018 15:40

It's easy, they don't want to field questions about:
1. High ticket prices
2. Age
3. Lwren Scott
4. New material
5. Etc etc

Posted by: mjmjr ()
Date: April 11, 2018 16:00

simple.....they don't have to deal with the media doing it this way. No Mick & Keith questions....no L'Wren questions....no how's it feel to be a new father at 74 questions

this way they can do lay up interviews with people they're comfortable with; with prearranged questions

Unfortunate....but true

They'er too old to deal with the crap....and quite frankly they've earned that

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: April 11, 2018 17:01

Why the hell would the media ask questions about L'Wren Scott? I'm sorry but that is a dumb suggestion. She died 4 years ago. "hey Mick, are you still mourning?". "Hey Mick, do you miss her?". Yes the media are scum sometimes and ask stupid questions sometimes, but I would imagine they'd stray away from that topic.

Date: April 11, 2018 17:03

INTERNET

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: April 11, 2018 17:24

Boognish
Why the hell would the media ask questions about L'Wren Scott? I'm sorry but that is a dumb suggestion. She died 4 years ago. "hey Mick, are you still mourning?". "Hey Mick, do you miss her?". Yes the media are scum sometimes and ask stupid questions sometimes, but I would imagine they'd stray away from that topic.

I totally agree

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: April 11, 2018 17:43

Licks was my favorite. Flying in a Tongue logo blimp rules! Steel Wheels is my second favorite and Babylon driving over the bridge is number three for me. Yeah, those were the days!

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 11, 2018 17:46

I still have a blimp too. Alas, it has a hole in it.

The boat was "Honey Fitz".

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: April 11, 2018 17:49

It is a shame, actually. I loved these...
2006 presser before the Super Bowl was a beauty!

The Stones never seemed afraid of ANY questions and probably still aren't!
Their uncanny ability to sort out and shake off the fluff from reporters always led to humorous results.

Any time you can get these four guys in the same room at the same time with some microphones is a good time.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 11, 2018 18:09

Boognish

Ya think? I wouldn't count on it.

And since 'Todgergate' how often have you seen Mick and Keith do an interview where they're in the same room together?

Not gonna happen. And if it does, you can bet the questions and interviewers are carefully vetted. At press conferences, pretty much anything goes. Huge chance of something embarrassing happening

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: April 11, 2018 18:30

This is really too bad and a good example of how something good can be turned opposite. What can a poor boy do as was ironically said. Anyhow, we can still enjoy The Stones regardless.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 11, 2018 19:05

1975 was the best.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 11, 2018 19:16

A highlight of the Gimme Shelter film:
Press conference Mick asked about his current position re (I think) sexual, spiritual and financial matters.
Mick very negative about finance (1969).
Allen Klein standing in the shadows.
Wonderful stuff.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: April 11, 2018 19:32

IORR
is the ‘new’ press conference/ tour announcement.
All hail Bjornulf.

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: April 11, 2018 19:38

They got tired of being asked, "Is this your last tour?"

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: April 11, 2018 21:31

Bashlets
It's easy, they don't want to field questions about:
1. High ticket prices
2. Age
3. Lwren Scott
4. New material
5. Etc etc

I agree, fielding a few of the above questions could be awkward indeed, especially on the subject of Micks women, like are you still seeing the 22 year old ? how old was she when you first met ? What was your pregnant girlfriends reaction to this relationship ? do you think it strange LS didn't leave a suicide note ?
My God no wonder the Stones don't do press interviews, it could be very embarrassing. Of course none of these questions would be permitted in advance in a normal interview situation, but in a press conference who know's, anything is possible.

To this day i still can't believe that no one ever says to Bill what on earth was you doing dating a 14 year old, like what was you thinking, what was that all about ?

Its as though the Stones have a free pass with the press, even Ronnie seemed to get away with dating the young Eastern European girl without any negativity from the press, can't remember her name but she also seems to have gone quietly into hiding. Ronnie was arrested for hitting her in the street drunk but the press were not interested in that story either. It did however spell the end of their relationship. You would think an A list Rock star laying into his girlfriend in a drunken rage with multiple witnesses would be headline news. Nope.
The press love this band as much as we do, they can do no wrong, snort your fathers ashes with coke, now funny enough the press went wild with that one, Keith saying he did, then he didn't, then he did again but not with coke. Moral of the story is its a bigger sin to snort an ancestors ashes than it is to date youngsters old enough to be granddaughters.
Its an even bigger story to fall off of a 4 feet tall shrub.
The fact that Keith's life was in the balance and needed cranial surgery to have a chance of survival went completely over the heads of the press, they were more interesting in making fun out of him for falling from a so called coconut tree.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: April 11, 2018 22:39

caschimann
Brooklyn Bridge for Bridges in 97.
The yellow zeppelin 2002 at Van Courtland Park, New York,
The 3 song mini-gig at Julliard School 2005.
And since then?
It all went online to RS com.
Videos - smart and well produced - took over the job of good old press confrence.
A lost.
I think.

My fave was them rolling down 5th Avenue blasting Brown Sugar for 1975. Now that we're in the internet age of instant information availability, they must deem such stunts to be no longer needed. Sad. They used to be fun events.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: Shott ()
Date: April 16, 2018 01:00

Mick by himself in 81 in Philly was rather priceless. Trying to play the tape Keith gave him "sorry Keith."

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: April 16, 2018 02:17

damn interweb took all the fun out of tour announcements.

NYC 1975 still is my fave

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1591
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home