Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

On this day ( April 7th ) in 1962...
Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: April 7, 2018 13:40

... Mick Jagger and Keith Richards attend Blues Incorporated's performance at the Ealing Club and meet Brian Jones and Charlie Watts.

from [www.timeisonourside.com]

"Keith Richards: Meeting Brian and his blues

And suddenly in' 62, just when (Mick and I) were getting together, we read this little thing about a rhythm and blues club starting in Ealing.... Alexis Korner really got this scene together. He'd been playing in jazz clubs for ages and he knew all the connections for gigs. So we went up there. The first or the second time Mick and I were sitting there Alexis Korner gets up and says, We got a guest to play some guitar. He comes from Cheltenham. All the way up from Cheltenham just to play for ya. Suddenly it's Elmore James, this cat, man. And it's Brian, man, he's sittin' on his little... he's bent over... da-da-da, da-da-da... I said, what? What the @#$%&? Playing bar slide guitar. We get into Brian after he finishes Dust My Broom. He's really fantastic and a gas...

We speak to Brian. He'd been doing the same as we'd been doing.. .thinking he was the only cat in the world who was doing it. We started to turn Brian on to some Jimmy Reed things, Chicago blues that he hadn't heard. He was more into T-Bone Walker and jazz blues stuff. We'd turn him on to Chuck Berry and say, Look, it's all the same shit, man, and you can do it.

Brian was into one kind of blues. Although he'd heard Chuck Berry, he had never heard the kind of stuff WE were into... We laid Slim Harpo on him, and Fred McDowell. Because Brian was from Cheltenham, a very genteel town full of old ladies, where it used to be fashionable to go and take the baths once a year at Cheltenham Spa. The water is very good because it comes out of the hills, it's spring water. It's a Regency thing, you know, Beau Brummell, around that time. Turn of the 19th century. Now it's a seedy sort of place full of aspirations to be an aristocratic town. It rubs off on anyone who comes from there... Brian would never even listen to Jimmy Reed (when we met him), and hardly any of Muddy Waters' electric stuff. We turned him on to Jimmy Reed and Bo Diddley. He was into guys like Sunnyland Slim and Tampa Red. Elmore james was about as far down the road as he'd gone with electric blues.

Brian was the first guy I knew that had a Robert Johnson record. Very rare. That's when I captured him: I'll take you and the record!"

More:

[bestclassicbands.com]

Re: On this day ( April 7th ) in 1962...
Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: April 7, 2018 14:18

Advert from Jazz News dated April 4, 1962 advertising the gig on the 7th.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Re: On this day ( April 7th ) in 1962...
Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: April 7, 2018 16:20

Thanks Deltics!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2630
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home