Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Black & Blue: what y'all think?
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 23, 2005 16:07

KSIE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Don't know how anyone could like the
> Shepherd's Bush version of Melody. The lead
> guitar (KR, I think) is completely out of key.
> Awful!!

thats me you're referring to. But you know by now I'm a contrary bástard.
It was nice to hear something unusual that night. The horn solo was good, from my memory

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: September 23, 2005 16:11

It has slowly grown into one of my alltime favorite Stonesalbums. It's one of those albums that has been totally done live, no? All the songs must be up there with the Stones themselves. Agree that it might have been even better with more trax. What I like is that this album shows how the Stones float from style to style but it is always the Stones.
Hot Stuff-love that tiny intro guitar that Keith plays. Good example that in the studio size just don't matter. And Mandel sounds hot too. But Jagger rapping at the end sterals the show. Nowadays that has all become normal" but I rememeber the first time I heard all that jabber in Hot Stuff and wondering "What the HELL kind of animal lingo is that?"
Hand of Fate-has one of the best alltime guitar solos in a Stones tune. And it's not by a Stone LOL (Same fate as One Hit to the Body). Jagger again is excellednt with the lyrics and the delivery, especially towards the end when Charlie builds it up behind him. good bridges in there too: the one when they go to the Bflat and then the weird funky one before the 4th verse.
Cherry oh baby - wasn't this the last album that we had the "real" keith BU vox behind Jagger, when he would do his trademark harmonizing. He just would add and jam on wherever he felt like it. With seemingly no rhyme or reason. On COB Keith is great. There are so many guitars.
Memory Motel- one of the great great alltime Stones road songs. Again those lyrics!
Negrita-Ronnie's riff. At the very beginning they skip a beat; I like that. Jagger raps and Ollie is good too.Great production. It is underrated on this one IMO. I'm surprised bobm who knows studios doesn't like this album.
Melody-always one the weakest of the album list. I think it's the way they did it. A little too much sauce. Too much Billy too. The idea of doing it Berry-style I think is good.
Fool to Cry-I like it. It was strange that Jagger sang those words; more than the music.
Crazy Mama-this used to be the only one I did not like that much. It was like the Stones doing the Stones. And I didn't dig the mega guitar/piano break; the one that sounds like a brass section. But now it is prolly my fave.

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: September 23, 2005 16:18

Gazza Wrote:
>
> thats me you're referring to. But you know by now
> I'm a contrary bástard.
> It was nice to hear something unusual that night.
> The horn solo was good, from my memory
>

Well I don't know about the bastard part, but definitely contrary! :-)

I will give it to the boys for trying that one live. A good idea, but man that guitar......

Karl

Posted by: redrum ()
Date: September 23, 2005 16:35

Sounds better today than it did in '76! Keith on "Black and Blue": "...really just an audition for a new guitar player..."

All of its 8 tracks have been played live at least once by the Stones. The only other Stones Studio LPs to have that claim to fame: "Some Girls" and 'Let It Bleed"

Posted by: Stikkyfinger ()
Date: September 23, 2005 18:34

I like Black and Blue..always did...but I think I like it more now..it mellows with age.

Crazy Mama was just too derivative/cliched for my taste ~ they have done much better songs imho.

Regards,

Ian.

Rolling Stones Tribute

Play Rolling Stones

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 23, 2005 18:38

redrum Wrote:
> Sounds better today than it did in '76! Keith on
> "Black and Blue": "...really just an audition for
> a new guitar player..."
>
> All of its 8 tracks have been played live at least
> once by the Stones. The only other Stones Studio
> LPs to have that claim to fame: "Some Girls" and
> 'Let It Bleed"

and the US version of "Out of our heads"

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: September 23, 2005 19:27

I love the live version from Sheppard's Bush. I feel like that is how it should have been recorded, a with a more prominent guitar. Overall, I like Black and Blue but never cared for Fool To Cry. I like the versions they do of it however on the 76 tour with Keith playing the guitar solo throughout. The album itself seems a little short, my favorites are Memmory Motel, Hey Negrita, and Hot Stuff.

Posted by: Niklas ()
Date: September 23, 2005 20:26

I love Black and Blue. Always did. Lots of good songs, and great sound! Compare the soung with Goats head soup and Undercover and hear the difference! But every Stones album has great songs, even if the sound ain't that good....

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 23, 2005 22:28

Not their best, but my favorite. It came out as my first real girlfriend broke up with me and my parents were getting divorced. It helped pull me through.

I love it, although I think Cherry is one of the worst songs they've ever done.

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: September 24, 2005 13:24

kienan Wrote:
> "Black and Blue" would have been a better
> product,if songs like "Slave" and "Worried about
> you " had been included.
>
> Hot stuff
> Hand of fate
> Slave
> Hey Negrita
> Crazy mama
>
> Worried about you
> Melody
> Cherry oh baby
> Fool to cry
> Memory motel
>
>

Cool record indeed, very cool. On the other hand Tattoo me wouldve been worse.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1445
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home