Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Sympathy and YCAGWYW on this Tour
Posted by: 4tylix ()
Date: September 17, 2005 05:43

These two warhorses are my two all-time favorites along with Midnight Rambler...like MR, they should only be played sporadically due to their special nature.

When I heard SFTD live for the first time at Shea in 89 it was euphoria because I'd attended two shows without it being played. I'd prefer to hear an inspired version of these two rather than them being played to oblige the masses.

Does anyone else agree that certain warhorses should not be played to retain their special place? If so, what are they?

Re: Sympathy and YCAGWYW on this Tour
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 17, 2005 06:16

IMO these are 2 songs that should be played EVERY stones gig...

This tour I've liked their arrangement of SFTD, it's at least "average" but twice been a bit disappointed with YCAGWYW...

Date: September 17, 2005 06:35

but that's my point...SFTD should never be "average"...it's TOO special...I'd rather not hear an average version and be apart of something unique...maybe I'd feel differently if I never heard it live

Date: September 17, 2005 06:47

YCAGWYW was good on 8/23 but,I think it should be put into a rotation with Wild Horses and maybe some rarities like No Use In Crying,Out Of Time, or Moonlight Mile or maybe even a new song like It Won't Take Long.

Posted by: BOBM ()
Date: September 17, 2005 13:46

Of course they should rotate in some songs, but YCAGWYW and SFD belong in each and every show. Coincidentally to this post, I have actually attended two separate Stones concerts where people came hoping to see YGAG at one show (they didn't play it and the people couldn't believe it) and SFD at the other show (they didn't play it and the people were disappointed). Satisfaction, Jumping Jack Flash and Honkey Tonk Women probably round out the list of five that should always be played.

Posted by: Buddha66 ()
Date: September 17, 2005 16:05

YGAG???

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 18, 2005 03:17

4tylix Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> but that's my point...SFTD should never be
> "average"...it's TOO special...I'd rather not hear
> an average version and be apart of something
> unique...maybe I'd feel differently if I never
> heard it live

The problem with not including Sympathy: 1) It's a major "mood changer"... and a full concert needs to create a range of moods. 2) It's just a super-famous live song for them, alot of core people AND first-timers would be disappointed if they didn't do it 3) A tremendous "crowd involvement" number with the "Whoo-Whoo" goin' on 4) Usually spell-binding great live song though I think it's been somewhat less than that so far this tour, but not by much.

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: September 18, 2005 11:58

No. They're great songs. They might sometimes not sound great on a bootleg or something but in a stadium you can sing along, dance, you know. They're great stadium songs. They should be played each night. I don't have the cash to go to allot of shows, maybe just once or twice. So if I go I want to hear them! Both! You're not supposed to go to 15.000 shows. It's fine if you do, but don't complain you hear the songs to often.

Posted by: Buddha66 ()
Date: September 18, 2005 16:50

good coment Reptile

A true fan!

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: September 18, 2005 20:12

I would drop both of them. Great songs but boring after 16 years of almost straight touring. I'd rather hear more from ABB than these 2 over and over. Same with Miss You and HTW.

I agree with 4tylix, in '89 SFTD was a major rush but doing it every tour since has made it a drag to hear. I'd love to hear it played with the guitars at the beginning like Get Your Yayas Out.

Posted by: backstreetboy ()
Date: September 18, 2005 23:15

anyone who goes to a stones show and leaves disappointed they didn't do a particular song,is not a fan.you can't cram every great song they have ever done in a 2,(even a 3)hour show.go to rock,go to be blown away by what they do play.

john scialfa

Date: September 19, 2005 01:18

there are so many warhorses that a few could be rotated with others... and I agree with those say that anyone who'd walk away disappointed because a certain song wasn't played is making a pretty weak argument. Honestly, I don't really think about it while AT the show...I'm enjoying myself too much.

I just think that rather than tiring a song out (for the band) by insisting it be in every show makes it a less inspired performance...that's why MR is usually a kick ass performance. It's played at about a 1/3 of shows.

Date: September 19, 2005 04:36

Sympathy For The Devil was not played for the first 2 1/2 months of the 1994 tour + it was left out of an arena show in '03 and only played at one club show.
I don't have a big problem with not hearing any one song at a concert.The problem is when I have around 300 songs in mind of which I would like to hear one or two at least & I don't no matter how many shows I go to.What "true" fan does not want them to ever play their songs in concert?What true fan wants to hear only one song from the post '81 - '02 era?That doesn't sound like a true fan to me.That sounds like a fan of the band's old work and three or four new songs only from the past 25 years.Please explain.

Date: September 19, 2005 04:46

In Albany,no songs were played from four out of the band's last six albums.5 of 7 if you count the four Licks songs.No true fan can be happy about this.Plain and simple.

Date: September 19, 2005 05:43

That's why I think even these two classics should be removed from the setlist, and in fact NO song should be off limits to being removed on any given night.

The only way we're gonna get more ABB, some old gems, or cool tunes like Sway, Loving Cup or Let Me Go (I'd take that over She's So Cold) is if they remove 1-2 warhorses and rotate the other stuff a bit.

For example, I don't like Bitch very much and SFTD is my favorite, but if I was there one night when SFTD wasn't played, but Bitch was played absolutely inspired, I'd be very happy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1025
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home