Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: OT: Steely Dan's Walter Becker has died
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 5, 2017 19:52

LongBeachArena72
35love
jlowe
It seems the 'Act' known as Steely Dan is going to continue. Seems strange, both of them have had solo careers after all.
Any views on this?

Yes. It's been a long assss career. Retire.

IMHO, all long-lived bands who cannot produce compelling new music and are reduced to touring their greatest-hits decade after decade ought to consider retirement.

The problem with this is that the ability to produce compelling new music tends to erode greatly by the time an artist has reached the age of 35 or so. What's everyone supposed to do if they can't keep touring their greatest hits into the grave? Become insurance salesmen?

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: September 5, 2017 19:53

35love
jlowe
It seems the 'Act' known as Steely Dan is going to continue. Seems strange, both of them have had solo careers after all.
Any views on this?

Another ignorant comment.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: September 5, 2017 20:22

Once again, another band, or more specifically, another greedy bastard who doesn't want to quit. Thats fine, its his life, and I certainly get it. Why tour as Don Henley when you can tour as the Eagles and play arenas? Why tour as Donald Fagen when you can tour as Steely Dan and no one will know the difference or really care? People want to say they saw the famous thing, not the actual musician. The sad thing is people will pay it and are the reason it will become the norm.

The Eagles was stupid, Steely Dan is arguably stupider. Steely Dan was two guys for a very long time. To see it continue as one guy now is borderline pathetic, but again its his life and the fan's choice. If people go, which they will, he'll be a very smart and richer guy. Its sadly kind of fun to watch these bands get propped up and passed off and people just accept it. If it were me, I'd say at least get Baxter back, but also just retire the name, tour on your own and be a man. You have enough money. Its not fun losing all respect for my former bands, but someone has to. The general public certainly ain't and its cause they're a bunch of idiots. No sugar coating it.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: September 5, 2017 21:11

Cooltoplady
35love
jlowe
Any views on this?

I am not ignorant. You have no idea what I know, or don't.
I was asked my opinion.
I am a fan of Steely Dan, btw.
And IMO, his lifelong partner just died.
"One body, two heads"
It's okay to retire.
It's okay to be over 70 years old,
and stop.

But whatever he wants to do, that's okay, too.

Date: September 5, 2017 21:13

tatters
LongBeachArena72
35love
jlowe
Any views on this?

IMHO, all long-lived bands who cannot produce compelling new music and are reduced to touring their greatest-hits decade after decade ought to consider retirement.

Plant a garden. Take some walks. Retirement is grande.

The problem with this is that the ability to produce compelling new music tends to erode greatly by the time an artist has reached the age of 35 or so. What's everyone supposed to do if they can't keep touring their greatest hits into the grave? Become insurance salesmen?

Date: September 5, 2017 21:34

I now realize my 'long asss career' comment sounded... brash. And without my meaning.

I just meant...

the best for everyone who knew Walter Becker.

That's what I really mean.

RIP

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 5, 2017 21:49

RollingFreak
Once again, another band, or more specifically, another greedy bastard who doesn't want to quit. Thats fine, its his life, and I certainly get it. Why tour as Don Henley when you can tour as the Eagles and play arenas? Why tour as Donald Fagen when you can tour as Steely Dan and no one will know the difference or really care? People want to say they saw the famous thing, not the actual musician. The sad thing is people will pay it and are the reason it will become the norm.

The Eagles was stupid, Steely Dan is arguably stupider. Steely Dan was two guys for a very long time. To see it continue as one guy now is borderline pathetic, but again its his life and the fan's choice. If people go, which they will, he'll be a very smart and richer guy. Its sadly kind of fun to watch these bands get propped up and passed off and people just accept it. If it were me, I'd say at least get Baxter back, but also just retire the name, tour on your own and be a man. You have enough money. Its not fun losing all respect for my former bands, but someone has to. The general public certainly ain't and its cause they're a bunch of idiots. No sugar coating it.
Does Jeff Baxter still play, or is he a full-time defense consultant?

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 5, 2017 22:01

I saw Fagen recently and he was great. His setlist was mostly SD songs. If wanted to call it Steely Dan (even without Becker), cool by me. I don't have to have Skunk, etc. up there for it to be SD.

On a similar note, I've seen the Rolling Stones many times, but not really as I never saw Brian Jones.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: September 5, 2017 22:26

Elmo Lewis
I saw Fagen recently and he was great. His setlist was mostly SD songs. If wanted to call it Steely Dan (even without Becker), cool by me. I don't have to have Skunk, etc. up there for it to be SD.

Agree. If Fagen wants to continue he can do so under any banner he wants. It's a pretty intelligent fan base, so they know the score.
Either 'it goes on,' as Mick said after Brian died, or it ends, as Zeppelin did when Bonham died. I respect whatever choices the artist makes.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: September 5, 2017 22:54

35love
Cooltoplady
35love
jlowe
Any views on this?

I am not ignorant. You have no idea what I know, or don't.
I was asked my opinion.
I am a fan of Steely Dan, btw.
And IMO, his lifelong partner just died.
"One body, two heads"
It's okay to retire.
It's okay to be over 70 years old,
and stop.

But whatever he wants to do, that's okay, too.

Um no......

Date: September 6, 2017 00:13

More Hot Rocks
'Um noo'

Strong opinion Fagen should retire?
This is what you mean?

I agree.

Edit: But, I don't care.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-06 00:15 by 35love.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: September 6, 2017 00:32

keefriff99

see next post ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-06 01:14 by schillid.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 6, 2017 00:36

wonderboy
Elmo Lewis

Agree. If Fagen wants to continue he can do so under any banner he wants. It's a pretty intelligent fan base, so they know the score.
Either 'it goes on,' as Mick said after Brian died, or it ends, as Zeppelin did when Bonham died. I respect whatever choices the artist makes.

Totally agree, and anybody outside of the artist/s who thinks they know better are somewhat clueless with their assumptions imo.

keefriff99

He played a couple of Steely Dan tunes recently at the 2016 NAMM TEC Awards in which he was an honoree.

Jeff "Skunk" Baxter - Rikki Don't Lose That Number

Jeff "Skunk: Baxter - My Old School

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: September 6, 2017 01:53

35love
More Hot Rocks
'Um noo'

This is what you mean?

I agree.

You're a strange duck.

Date: September 6, 2017 02:17

Cooltoplady
35love
More Hot Rocks
'Um noo'

This is what you mean?

I agree.

You're a strange duck.

Indeed. LOL.
I don't see how Fagen can't be completely gutted.
I'm gutted as a fellow bewildered introvert kinship to Walter Becker.
I'm not a show-go-er but I've had certain recorded music accompany me profoundly.
As far as looking out for the poor rich boomers, well, I had that experience at a Paul McCartney concert. Who is to say?

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: September 6, 2017 03:14

I'm fine with Fagen fronting a concert version of a band and calling it Steely Dan. Although Walter was a great player, another guitarist or bassist could easily cover that. Where Walter is indispensable is in the creative process. If Fagen were to put out an album of new material and call it Steely Dan, that would be hard to swallow. How would that differ from a Fagen solo album? I doubt seriously he would do that.

Date: September 6, 2017 04:46

Hairball
wonderboy
Elmo Lewis

Totally agree, and anybody outside of the artist/s who thinks they know better are somewhat clueless with their assumptions imo.

keefriff99

He played a couple of Steely Dan tunes recently at the 2016 NAMM TEC Awards in which he was an honoree.

Jeff "Skunk" Baxter - Rikki Don't Lose That Number

Jeff "Skunk: Baxter - My Old School

That's some great stuff!

Baxter's second career as a defense consultant is fascinating to me.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: September 6, 2017 06:29

schillid
keefriff99

see next post ...

Both. My buddy worked with for a short him at Northrop Grumman in Maryland.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: September 6, 2017 06:45

tatters
LongBeachArena72
35love
jlowe
Any views on this?

How should I know, yo. Some could be mathematicians, some might be carpenters' wives ... I don't know what they'd do with their lives!

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: September 6, 2017 06:55

jlowe
LongBeachArena72
35love
jlowe
Any views on this?

Uum....would you apply this viewpoint to solo Acts also?
So, for example, Steve Winwood, subject of a current thread hasn't produced a new album for 9 years.
Chuck Berry should have said farewell 25 years ago?
ETC !

Yes!

But in all seriousness and in my opinion (which is worth every cent of the paper it's printed on), musicians should do whatever the hell they want unless they're actually inflicting harm on people which is why Keith Richards should no longer attempt to sing and play guitar simultaneously.

Personally, I dig people who either do new things, or who take what material they have established and rework it in fascinating, challenging ways. I don't have a lot of time for acts who endlessly repeat themselves in karaoke performances which become a tad less convincing every time out and which most commonly inspire comments such as "I can't believe they can still do this at their ages!"

But that's just me ... and that's why I try to stay out of the individual concert threads so as not to expose my catty nastiness to people who are actually enjoying themselves!

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: September 8, 2017 00:44

Walter Becker's last performance

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: September 8, 2017 00:54

LongBeachArena72
jlowe
LongBeachArena72
35love
jlowe
Any views on this?

Uum....would you apply this viewpoint to solo Acts also?
So, for example, Steve Winwood, subject of a current thread hasn't produced a new album for 9 years.
Chuck Berry should have said farewell 25 years ago?
ETC !

Yes!

But in all seriousness and in my opinion (which is worth every cent of the paper it's printed on), musicians should do whatever the hell they want unless they're actually inflicting harm on people which is why Keith Richards should no longer attempt to sing and play guitar simultaneously.

Personally, I dig people who either do new things, or who take what material they have established and rework it in fascinating, challenging ways. I don't have a lot of time for acts who endlessly repeat themselves in karaoke performances which become a tad less convincing every time out and which most commonly inspire comments such as "I can't believe they can still do this at their ages!"

But that's just me ... and that's why I try to stay out of the individual concert threads so as not to expose my catty nastiness to people who are actually enjoying themselves!

I don't mind bands continuing as greatest hits oldies machines. If thats they're prerogative, and they're good at it, like the Stones and Macca are, I have no problem. When said band starts losing members, key ones at that, I think its time to hang it up. Cause then you end up diluting the brand which as a fan I find sad. If its still the same guys playing the oldies, it still may be diluting it but at least its the guys that made the music. There's no real reason to call it something else. But if the Eagles lose a frontman and founding member, if Steely Dan loses one of only two members, its like where do you stop? The answer is obviously never. If you treat this specifically related to Dan, its even easier. Steely Dan is now literally JUST Fagen. Why the hell not tour solo? Cause the money is better when you play as Steely Dan. Maybe thats the "purist" in me. I see it as the "logical person" in me. Every band finds a new low. Congrats to Dan for finding the most current example.

Date: September 8, 2017 01:09

Unless someone's walked in their shoes, who is anyone to say what is right and what is wrong, and what an artist should do?
Maybe people should take in to account what the actual artist thinks about it rather than forcing their own "logical" scenario on the situation.

edit:And for all we know, it might have been Walter's wish (or he gave his approval) for Donald Fagen to carry on with the Steely Dan name and move forward!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-08 01:25 by Hairball.

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: September 8, 2017 01:40

First off, just like AC/DC, it makes more sense for someone to tour getting big audiences than to tour getting small audiences, doing the same show. Further, why would any artist ever retire? Presumably, these are lucky folks who got to make a great living doing what they enjoy. What is there to retire from? If bored, change. Retire? That sounds like death. I'm an accountant...I get to retire.

2nd, the bands owe us (the fans) everything. They do what they do because they enjoy it (or at least when they started) & got lucky enough to make a living doing it. The music is for us, the audience. If they are making it for themselves, why even release it? If indeed it is for one's self and others like it, that may be the REAL brass ring, but generally, they want to be loved, appreciated, heard. Musicians have an ego, they have to. It's a "I'm on stage, look at me, hear me, love me." Nothing wrong with it...many of my friends are musicians. They aren't obnoxious egoists or anything, but that creative side of them NEEDS to be heard.

Lastly, I saw Steely once (Coors in San Diego). It was boring...I left rather early...maybe the least enjoyable concert I have been to. I like some of the recordings ok, maybe in a club it would have been better...but in a 20,000 person amphitheater, it stunk (for me & my friends). There weren't even good looking women in abundance...which is probably why we really went.

I won't bash Fagan for going on as SD, just like I won't bash Angus for going on as DC. Surely, by now, ticket buyers know what they are getting in to...and for many, it is to see "insert band name here." What do tourists want to see when they visit the Sistine Chapel? They want to see 2 fingers & then they've "seen it." Art lovers will want to see more, most want to say they saw the thing they saw before seeing it. Way more tourists than art lovers.

Is the Who really the Who? Wasn't it always Pete Townsend & his band? Why did they get MORE popular after Entwistle died? Why did U2 get more popular over the last decade? It's name & name only.

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: September 8, 2017 01:41

The Temptations are playing down the road from me...I think tickets start at $65.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: September 8, 2017 01:50

It's a consumer deception, though. From that standpoint, it doesn't matter what the surviving key member feels. Both Eagles and SD had celebrated, somewhat emotional reunions after long breakups. The Eagles, especially, made a lot of money with "Hell Freezes Over" and "Farewell Tour II." Now, those reunions seem a little less special. In the case of Steely Dan, they don't even technically qualify for the Bowser Bauman proposal to outlaw the use of a band's name unless there are at least two surviving members.

I also would expect Steely Dan fans to demand more, since their music is a little more sophisticated and they had fewer massive hits. Having been to Eagles post-reunion shows, some of their fans do seem more like people attending a high school reunion watching a band that played at their senior prom. It almost didn't matter who was on stage, as long as they heard the big hits.

Date: September 16, 2017 05:32

[www.theaustralian.com.au]

THE last time he toured, he fantasised that his ageing audience would be caught in a flash fire that would send them screaming up the aisles, trampling each other, ending in a "horrible" scene on the footpath with people on stretchers, "charred and wrinkled".

Down the phone from New York, Fagen suggests he was "temporarily insane because of the acute tour disorder". He devotes an entire chapter to the many dissociative symptoms of this condition. One of them is stage rage. The audience is despised, mainly for being as unforgivably old as he is. At Santa Rosa, "the crowd looked so geriatric I was tempted to start calling out bingo numbers".

Sitting at his piano, Fagen is as awkward and uncomfortable as ever, rasping out the tunes like an old-time jazz singer, only just making the bigger notes. He writes of performing as "a bit of a ritual slaying. Without necessarily letting it show, you use every last bit of your marrow, every last atom of your energy in an attempt to satisfy the hungry crowd."

But then there are the nights that are the reason he still does it, when it all comes together. "When everything's working right, you become transfixed by the notes and chords. In the centre of it, with the drums, bass and guitar all around you, the earth falls away and it's just you and your crew creating this forward motion, this undeniable, magical stuff that can move 10,000 people to snap free of life's miseries and get up and dance and scream."

And despite all the suffering for his art, he "can't imagine retiring from playing music. Why would anyone do that?"

Date: September 16, 2017 06:51

Well, I'm going to see Fagen next month...I never got to see Fagen/Becker proper even though I had several chances. It is weird referring to this show as "Steely Dan", but that's what it is, and I'm sure I'll enjoy it. Fagen surrounds himself with top-notch talent.

Date: September 16, 2017 07:44

keefriff99
Well, I'm going to see Fagen next month...I never got to see Fagen/Becker proper even though I had several chances. It is weird referring to this show as "Steely Dan", but that's what it is, and I'm sure I'll enjoy it. Fagen surrounds himself with top-notch talent.

I'd be interested to know your thoughts/experience afterward....

Date: September 16, 2017 07:48

It should be great keefrif99, although maybe a bit bittersweet.
But as I posted earlier in this thread, the Billboard review of Steely Dan at the the Classic East/West shows were great even though Walter Becker was at neither of them.

"One song into their expert 13-song set, Steely Dan frontman Donald Fagen addressed the absence of the band's guitarist and co-founder, Walter Becker, who also missed Classic West, both with illness...Steely Dan's set was marvelous -- energetic, proficient and predictably virtuosic, with solos zooming from every direction, courtesy of trombones, melodicas, drums and most instruments in between. The band played at least one song from each of their seven original studio albums..."

Steely Dan

One thing is certain, when Steely Dan comes back to my neck of the woods, I'll be there just as I always am.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1885
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home