Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
ABB taken in its entirety
Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: September 10, 2005 22:38

Listen to this from beginning to end, and it holds up -- for a snapshot of the Rolling Stones in 2005, it's simply brilliant -- the creative spark of the potentially critical situation with Charlie's health really helped to solidify the bond between Mick & Keith. The icing on the cake is the triuphant return of Mr Watts, who seems reinvigorated and is pounding the rhythms into the floor. As if this isn't enough, Ronnie comes in to lend his now-sober expertise to ice the cake.

ABB is 64 minutes of pure bliss. It must be viewed as a whole, not as a collection of individual songs. Hell, I even skip past certain songs on Exile -- this album, IMHO, never loses its grip on the listener.

Re: ABB taken in its entirety
Posted by: Shezeboss ()
Date: September 10, 2005 22:41

agree with you. I feel ABB seems so short when it's the end. INCREDIBLE !!

Posted by: Stones89 ()
Date: September 10, 2005 22:44

I have yet to do this bassplayer617, listen to the album in its entirety from beginning to end. Think I'll try it this evening. I always tend to skip the slow songs/ballads and just mainly listen to the more up tempo numbers. But like I said, I'll give it a listen all in one go.

Take care.smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-10 22:49 by Stones89.

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: September 10, 2005 22:50

I was expecting to not like it. Much of Stones songs of the last 15 years sounded like Mick solo album or Keith solo backed by the rest of the Stones. (or just plan crap.)

ABB surprised me. What a great collection of songs. The bottom line is they still got it.

I think I'll grab another beer and crank it up again.

Date: September 10, 2005 22:57

Thanks, stones89. The weird feeling I get is that somehow these guys have managed to capture their roots but yet sound very modern. Collectively, it is a work of genius.

This is what we get when the prime movers (Mick & Keith) sit face-to-face and go to work. God bless this "mom & pop" business.

Posted by: backstreetboy ()
Date: September 11, 2005 06:27

couldn't agree more bass.

john scialfa

Posted by: cirrhosis ()
Date: September 11, 2005 06:35

-

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-12-22 04:57 by cirrhosis.

Posted by: JamesBurton ()
Date: September 11, 2005 07:19

The greatest thing I can attribute to ABB is realizing B2B isn't all that bad after all. I dont I've spun B2B in several years, but after 5-6 spins of ABB, I accepted my state of cognitive dissonance...my favorite band is capable of releasing an album where I dont care for a single song. Even Dirty Work, Emotional Rescue, and Satanic Majesties had some good numbers weaseled between some rather sub-par material. ABB's material is forgettable in my estimation. At least the Glimmer Twins could have thrown a good single or a true rocker to those of us who actually arent yet taking geritol and want some rock music. And by not releasing a decent single, they really will screw themselves in the elusive under 25 year old market, something they did incredibly well with Voodoo and probably wont do much I-Tunes downloads either. And lastly, I'd be embarrassed to crank this album when out in the convertible. I've always been so proud of the boys and weathered criticism of the band, but I just can't defend this lousy album. It feels like one of my kids just died!

Posted by: RankOutsider ()
Date: September 11, 2005 07:35

Anyone know a good rock 'n' roll doctor? Send them to JamesBurtons address immediately, he needs life support, asap. This album rocks. Come on James, don't throw in the towel, it's still good man, we'll be waiting for you.

I ain't stupid, I'm just guitarded.

Posted by: crossfire ()
Date: September 11, 2005 07:44

james, are u sure u didn't dial into the Air Supply or Lionel Ritchie site by mistake??

And VooDoo dialed up that "elusive under 25 year old market"? Really? Please help me with this one.

Here's hoping you hear the Bang eventually...

Date: September 11, 2005 09:28

Incredibly, the more I listen, the MORE I love it. I've listened to it at different volumes, and it still sounds great.

The quality of the production is just superb. I'm running out of superlatives LOL.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-11 09:29 by bassplayer617.

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: September 11, 2005 10:04

JamesBurton is right unfortunately. The album's has a few assets - it sounds remarkably fresh, there's plenty of variety and the song order makes it sound better than it actually is. Unfortunately after the first few listens you've heard everything this album's got to give and that's when it starts to ring hollow. The songs begin to sound simplistic and repetitive, the guitars begin to sound boring and uninspiring and Jagger's mannered overaccenuated singing begins to grate (especially on a few songs).
The album 'sounds' superficially good but i very much doubt it will stand the test of time. Emotional Rescue and Dirty Work were generally uninspiring but there was a spark of guitar interplay (She's So Cold, One Hit To The Body) and a willingness for the Stones to cover new ground (Emotional Rescue).
What A Bigger Bang does more than any Stones album has done in 20 years is effectively cover up it's shortcomings. However repeated listens will ensure this album will be forgotten in no time and the old warhorses on the concert tours will have no competition and will remain just that.

Date: September 11, 2005 10:17

911,...yes, we have another patient for the rock 'n' roll doctor, get over here right away. Thank you.

Date: September 11, 2005 11:11

RankOutsider Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 911,...yes, we have another patient for the rock
> 'n' roll doctor, get over here right away. Thank
> you.
>
> "Once upon a time I was your little rooster, but
> now I'm just one of your cocks"

Yep, it sounds like Edward is exhibiting symptoms of BOFS-- Bitter Old Fart Syndrome. Chronic conservatism and an obsessive desire to return to "the good old days" (i.e. a classic denial of one's own aging) play parts in this disease, which is approaching epidemic proportions in the "baby-boom" demographic group. Other symptoms include statements such as "I'm turning into my father! (or mother)." The most common symptoms, though, include a feeling of unhappiness with one's own life, and an obsessive desire to make everyone around them completely miserable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-11 11:12 by bassplayer617.

Posted by: Fan Since 1964 ()
Date: September 11, 2005 11:12

ABB ends too fast! Thank god I have repetition on my CD!
This is the album that I wanted them to do! I had my wish come true!
Next is the tour to stop in Sweden next year!
Hope they put in some songs from ABB in the setlist then, mixing the great warhorses with the new ones!

Been Stoned since 1964 and still am!

Date: September 11, 2005 11:38

Hey Fan Since 64, Have you really been 'Stoned' since '64? I bet you know Keith.

Posted by: stones40 ()
Date: September 11, 2005 12:23

The Stones special ingredients are all over the 16 songs on ABB.
It is incredible that Jagger/Richards & co can still write/play a wonderful selection of varied songs at the ripe old age of 62.
There are indeed songs on ABB that will appeal to everyone.
Those who have have been dissecting and ctitising the songs one by one
are indeed in the boring old fart catorgary.
With age comes wisdom and unfortunately the biased opinion that todays songs cannot live with those recorder in earlier days.
I am glad to say the ABB is in a class of its own full of splendidly written/recorded songs full of variety and composure.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 11, 2005 12:26

OK Stones40 your allowed in our club...!!!

ROCKMAN

Posted by: uz2bstoned ()
Date: September 11, 2005 13:12

This album is very very good. Man there are sum unhappy people on this board. Take it or leave it. If you don't like it don't listen. There is medication out there for you. I of course am completely straight.

If you don't like micks singing then find a band who's singing you like.
I think most people who are not fans of the Stones don't like Micks style. It doesn't appeal to them. Good on them. They are honest. Seriously if you keep nit picking about his singing or keiths this or that you really don't like the stones and are just in denial. You can listen to Elton John in rehab.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 11, 2005 13:19

Bloody hell another one for the club...welcome uz2bstoned...grab a drink!!!

ROCKMAN

Date: September 11, 2005 13:33

RankOutsider Wrote:
> Hey Fan Since 64, Have you really been 'Stoned'
> since '64? I bet you know Keith.
>
> "Once upon a time I was your little rooster, but
> now I'm just one of your cocks"

Well it sure feels that way! We both need Charlie's chemotherapy ha ha!
To tell you the truth I've been a fan since 1964 yes! Ironically it started out with "It's all over now" but they're still here f-g up our lives, god bless their hearts

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 11, 2005 14:04

The Stones really took me by surprise with ABB. I was really anticipating an album chalk full of Jagger solo songs drenched in synths and drum and bass loops. Wood's and Richards playing on the last tour, Jagger's solo efforts and especially the four tracks on Licks really had me thinking B2B was the last decent effort of the Stones. Well, I was wrong: ABB is a terrific album, right up there with Undercover. This album really is what I want: a loud, very loud Charlie Watts, loud guitars, and no kill-it-all production. No, there's no second Brown Sugar or JJF on the album, but most songs are just really good, old fashioned Stones songs meant to be play loud. It's all about the groove on this album. Apart from Streets of Love, Sweet Neocon and Back of My Hand I find every song interestting and great to listen too. Even Biggest Mistake, with the corny verses has a great chorus. Dangerous Beauty might sound simple, but there is some angst in the simplicity that I really like. Some songs are even close the the best work of the Stones: She Saw Me Coming, Rain Fall Down, Look What The Cat and Driving Too Fast have the greatness of Some Girls era work (Everything Turns Too Gold, Whip, the later Pretty Beat up and Undercover), This Place is Empty is Keith's very own We Had it All / Appartment No. 9, It Won't Take long could have been on Black&Blue or the great Talk is Cheap.

I truly, truly like this album.

Mathijs

Posted by: salar ()
Date: September 11, 2005 16:39

JamesBurton Wrote:
> The greatest thing I can attribute to ABB is
> realizing B2B isn't all that bad after all. I dont
> I've spun B2B in several years, but after 5-6
> spins of ABB, I accepted my state of cognitive
> dissonance...my favorite band is capable of
> releasing an album where I dont care for a single
> song. Even Dirty Work, Emotional Rescue, and
> Satanic Majesties had some good numbers weaseled
> between some rather sub-par material. ABB's
> material is forgettable in my estimation. At least
> the Glimmer Twins could have thrown a good single
> or a true rocker to those of us who actually arent
> yet taking geritol and want some rock music. And
> by not releasing a decent single, they really will
> screw themselves in the elusive under 25 year old
> market, something they did incredibly well with
> Voodoo and probably wont do much I-Tunes downloads
> either. And lastly, I'd be embarrassed to crank
> this album when out in the convertible. I've
> always been so proud of the boys and weathered
> criticism of the band, but I just can't defend
> this lousy album. It feels like one of my kids
> just died!

It is almost unbelievebable to me that you call yourself a Stonesfan without liking any song of ABB....
Okey...different folks, different tastes.
Also okey if you do not like the album that much..IMO it is a killer ,
but ABB has got anything what made the Stones being so succesful for 40 years and more.
If someone likes the music of the Stones, you must at least find 1-2 songs on ABB which you should like.....but saying this album is nothing but garbage, makes me doubting, you like Stones sound at all.
Anyway.....hope you enjoy the shows at least...otherwise I realy feel sorry for you.

Posted by: Stones89 ()
Date: September 11, 2005 22:20

Hey bass, finally listened to it all in one shot. What a rush!smiling smiley

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: September 11, 2005 22:46

A BIGGER BANG IS BRILLIANT,HOW MANY BANDS WILL BE AROUND AFTER 40 YEARS AND GIVE US SATIFACTION LIKE THE STONES,EG BEATLES BROKE UP AFTER 9 YEARS AND LET IT BE
THE LAST OFFERING WAS BORING AND ABBEY RD HAD DUFF TRACKS LIKE MAXWELL SILVER
AND OCTOPUS GARDEN AND WHOS LAST COUPLE OF LPS WERE DUFF AND LED ZEPPLIN TOO.
I AM WITH BASSPLAYER 617,ENJOY THE MUSIC AND BE GLAD ARE STONES ARE AROUND.KISH

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: September 12, 2005 00:41

I'm just being objective irrespective of the longevity of the band. For me A Bigger Bang isn't much different quality wise to any of the post Tattoo You albums - it's just dressed up a little smarter. I don't think there's a track on the album that's as good as Undercover Of The Night or Emotional Rescue never mind the genuine classics like Brown Sugar, Honky Tonk Women, Tumbling Dice etc. The album is a collection of 'nearly' songs which sound o.k. in the context of the album but on their own are unsubstantial.
ABB is not a truly bad album but it adds nothing to the Stones legacy.

Date: September 12, 2005 05:12

It might very well be the crown jewel of their legacy Edward, it's not over yet!

Date: September 12, 2005 17:19

Cheers everyone!

Posted by: mrD ()
Date: September 12, 2005 23:24

I think it was keith who said.

"every time we put out a new album, they don't like it and say to me: 'if it just was as good as this one.' and hold up the previous album they didn't like"

So stop comparing ABB to previous albums the only thing matters is "Does the album make you feel good when you listen to it"

Posted by: stillife ()
Date: September 13, 2005 01:22

I think is a good album and much better than Undercover. There are great songs on ABB with more quality than Undercover of the Night. I really think this is the best album since TY and with some or more quality of Some Girls. People tend to compare all recent work of the stones with earlier records. Thats a mistake. Mick and Keith are not the same persons they were 30 years ago. Now we have the influence of Mick solo work. But in this case he did a good work. For me its awsome what the Stones gave to their fans with this work. I really wasnt expecting. What is the prove of the value of ABB than the demand for the Stone play the new songs on the tour?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1909
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home