Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: Has anyone seen Tina Turner?
Posted by: spiderman ()
Date: July 28, 2017 07:09

Maybe an interesting Tina story to some of you. I was a pretty wild gambler in the 80's. 84 I think she had just hit it big again but the money wasn't yet rolling, so she was still a Vegas act, albeit a big one. Anyway, tickets were approx. $100 each - so I had just won a few thou on a sports event and put $400 on the wheel for 3 0f us to see Tina and won - so we saw her at what I think was her hungriest and most satisfying peak - incredible show. I think Tina is one of the coolest in the business.

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: July 28, 2017 08:55

schillid
Okay okay... There's something about that photo...

Besides seeing Ike and Tina Turner open for the Stones in 1969, I was at Live Aid in Philly in 1985 and Mick and Tina's set was a highlight...

[docs.google.com]

That is an amazingly cool picture... right on!

Re: OT: Has anyone seen Tina Tuner?
Date: July 28, 2017 09:00

EddieByword
HankM
Tuna Turner for that matter...
I was down the docks today and saw a ton a tuna if that helps.........
I saw Ike buying pike... And he had bass.

and it was right about that time... a fight broke out at the local chip shop

And Tommy Tune and Charlie The Tuna were right in the middle of it...
but Tina was nowhere to be found... love may have had something to do with it...

I did manage to find a pair of Tuna turners..........but still no Tina......confused smiley

[i.ytimg.com]
UdaMan Eddie smileys with beer

grinning smiley

Date: July 28, 2017 09:27

spiderman
Maybe an interesting Tina story to some of you. I was a pretty wild gambler in the 80's. 84 I think she had just hit it big again but the money wasn't yet rolling, so she was still a Vegas act, albeit a big one. Anyway, tickets were approx. $100 each - so I had just won a few thou on a sports event and put $400 on the wheel for 3 0f us to see Tina and won - so we saw her at what I think was her hungriest and most satisfying peak - incredible show. I think Tina is one of the coolest in the business.

I like that story, I found it interesting, but the numbers dont add up, do they?

I mean if concert tickets were 100, and there 3 of you and you bet $400...
depending on which wheel, but I assume roulette and if you won... $400.00 Paid HUGE.
And if you had just won 2K, why bet 400? why not just buy tickets?

I only ask for the clarification in case you are testing to see if anyone really readds (which I do) smiling smiley

I do that sometimes, and usually no one does, but that is OK, it is fun for me.smoking smiley

Anyway, after this thread last I spent some time checking the latest updates and/or to remind myself of the facts on Tina Turner and she really really is one of the coolest in rock and roll history. And according to the time line you did see her when she was at her hungriest and most satisfying peak.

I wont retell all of the facts, but 77-85 was interesting for Tina. It went bad.... adn then it seems She lucked into (as in the harder one works, the luckier one gets) getting one of the best managers in the business (a kid named Roger Davies). It seems his promotional abilities, connections and guidance paired with her natural... uhm... how to say it... her "natural Tina Turnerness" made her the super star she is.

It is a great story, I read a bunch of stuff, like about her tours and yadda yadda... Tina is amazing, she rose from the ashes and became what she still is.

And yes, according to the timeline, you did see her right as she was starting skyrocket, when the plan was all coming together, when it was time for her to put the pedal to the metal and do her Tina Turner thing... whcih she did. She kicked ass... and the rest is history.

And with people like her, who choose to move on gracefully, I greatly respect the deafening silence. The no news. She is just out there doing her thing with little to no attention, no trying to stay in the limelight, no BS, no shenanigans. I like that. That is cool.

And ya know, as much has been said about about how many rock dudes owe Chuck... a lot of rocks women owe Tina, she lead the way. And just like- without Chuck, who know what/who does not happen..... same thing... without Tina... who knows what/who does not happen.

Cheers Tina Turner you are tops!!! smileys with beer

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 28, 2017 09:42

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 28, 2017 09:52

................ Anna Mae Bullock

ROCKMAN

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: July 28, 2017 10:01

spiderman

That's a GREAT story, thank you. I've seen tapes of those performances many times; a close friend back then was one of her two dancers; that woman is now a really respected professional in a totally unrelated field, dealing loosely with science generally....and I remember after she broke up w Ike and hadn't had a solo hit or worked things out yet for herself. And those were good shows w a hot little session band. I think she was doing "Help"...she warmed it up slow like she did Proud Mary; she sort of made a ballad out of it; it was artistic and she went at from a whole diffent angle; make it a real soulful slow groove plea...yeh she was connecting in a lot of different ways...
quarte
Ike was a total master imo; totally, a totally brilliant ground-breaking Master that will never get his proper due...We Don't Need Another Hero and all that hit crap was poison for me; tho at first it was just great to have her back in any way at all; she was still, and into her sixties, fabulous live...
..amazing...

I loved the very first two Mad Max films. That third one was sorta, except for the action, already a bit hackneyed. She's no movie actress. That Acid Queen thing was you know...Peter Frampon and The Bee Gees bring you Seargeant Pepper; enough said...

It took a quarter century for poor Peter, a truly very talented guy, to miraculously gain back some credibility, after shitting all over the magnificene of Humble Pie...or even Frampton Comes Alive....A lot of coming in rock music huh? Which brings me back to Tina and The Ikettes. And Mick Jagger; cuz what ol' rubber legs didn't pick up from James, he got straight from Tina; even the pouts and poses; never mind the funky chicken...and a volume of stage postures and moves.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: July 28, 2017 10:24

According to Wiki:
1. She is relinquishing her American citizenship in favour of a Swiss one. She has of course owned properties in Switzerland for 20 plus years.
2. In 2016 was revealed she was working with others on a musical called 'Tina'

On a less positive note, her name was mentioned in the 'Panama papers' revelations.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: July 28, 2017 19:25

never liked tina turner, but eating gravel for breakfast never seemed to harm her career.

Posted by: flairville ()
Date: July 28, 2017 20:18

[m.youtube.com]

She was ill during this performance but probably carried on as she was just breaking through again. It's a phenomenal performance, the vocal is insane.
Treat yourselves. The fuss people make today over Adele, she's not fit to lace Tina's leather skirt!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2442
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home