Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

For those who have really put the sweat in...
Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: September 10, 2005 13:50

Doesn't matter age, just those who have done the deed. I'm drunk, I'm 29, I've seen a mere (and I'm really not being cocky, I know some have seen triple digits) 32 gigs. In 99' I sold my car & quit my job to go to Europe with Little Queenie & my buddy Eric (passed out next to me). We saw all 5 gigs in the UK...I was just a kid & it was the tits...stories forever.

Here's the deal...for those of us who have seen a ton of gigs (I've met many of you on the road)...what is the best gig YOU have experienced (doesn't mean been to) and what is the worst?

2nd question: Who has had contact with the band, but not as those hanging out in the hotel & forcing the issue? I remember a London kid next to me at Utrecht who was telling me Ronnie came over & had dinner at his table. He asked Ronnie for a pic at Vredenburg since he'd never gotten one (I know many of you know this guy, I forget his name, he sells Stones stuff...nice guy). Later in the gig, sure enough, Ronnie tosses him a pic...obviously for him. While it missed him & I could have likely gotten it from security (I was closest), I pointed it to him...it was for him...why would I try to snake it? This is the stuff I'm talking about...let's hear those close up experiences...not just the "I slapped five" stuff...although that is pretty fun too.

For me...Wiltern was the best. I've heard some say the crowd wasn't smoking...but as T&A knows, I was front row keef side against the little catwalk (never saw the crowd). Maybe b/c I was the youngest around there (what a great friend I have who gave me the ticket at cost...$50...and I was even offered...true story...$10,000 about an hour before showtime...nothing doing...), but I was going nuts & keef was all over me. I've posted the story before, but this was my best gig ever...2 pics, HTW, keef telling me "this is for you" right before the opening slick licks (not just the bum bum....bum bummm) and at the end of the show "you're the one that keeps me going mother @#$%&...it's you"...just the tits! Let's not forget Mick was so hot & on fire that night that he couldn't even take it. Really, he was as hot as he can be...proving to all the celebs...he's where it's at...and where the road ends.

Worst ever...nobody will agree with me other than that really nice guy from New Zealand...the 2nd Wembley gig in 99'. I hate to say it...but that is the only gig I've seen every member of the band just go through the motions...the next day I flew to LA for the Playboy Jazz Festival...but missed Ray Charles (had to leave early) to catch Tom Waits at the Wiltern...next night too...what an adventure. I remember when the gig ended, that Zealand guy came up (we'd chatted a bit throughout the UK gigs) and asked what I thought. I didn't want to kill his buzz...in case he loved it...but said I really thought they had phoned it in. He jumped right on it & agreed...said it was the worst Stones gig he'd ever seen...I liked him right away...he wasn't shy & was a straight shooter.

So those are my fav. & least fav. The only other great meetings were camping outside the Fillmore for rehearsals (I met Linda (are you on this board?...& BV). Not much contact then, but what a blast...especially at 22. Other than that...Edinburgh...Keef side. This was the only show I've seen a mosh pit at...great fun. Mick came off the main stage...walking away from me...slapping hands. He turned, looked at me & shook his head...walks over...puts his hand out (he really doesn't shake hands...as many of you know). I shake his hand...he leans in, hand on my shoulder & says "thanks for coming man, that's a long way to go" & slaps five with the 2 people to my right (toward Ronnie side). My first out of the country gig...22 yo...damn right that was hot...I really dug those gigs...just felt...well, it sounds cheesy...but felt as free as you get...around the world for the only band that matters...and the man who sings the best songs ever coming over to me...I felt..........well,.....like I was in....even if I wasn't....but it felt great....still does.

For those of you who travel...who have save & sacrifice...what's the best YOU'VE experienced? What's the worst? What are the great stories you have of Mick/Keef/Ron/Charlie...chatting you up...without you invading their space? Those moments when some of you were just like 2 people sharing a moment with the greatest bar band that ever graced this amazing entity called Rock n' Roll?

P.S. I loved all the folks I met in the UK 99'...and all the folks in Holland 02'. I just got engaged, so I doubt I'll be travelling this tour...(esp. with the reduced shows...although possibly Buenos Aires...(my gal is from there)...I'll tell ya this...as much as I love the Stones...they don't even compare to my gal. I know some of you can understand that...Love of your life kind of thing...she's so great she even told me to travel if it will make me happy (Stones travel)...but I'd be unhappy without her.

Re: For those who have really put the sweat in...
Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: September 10, 2005 15:07

Ok...the short version.

For those here who have seen more shows than people should (let's say 15+), what is YOUR stand out show? What is the worst show you've seen?

Also, any stories of having a moment with members of the band? Not just a handshake or a "I love you man"...but where you talked as people, shared a moment, etc. All good if it was fan stuff, so long as it isn't the "mick looked at me in Miami" kind of thing...ya'll know what I mean...like I wrote above.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: September 10, 2005 16:52

I think the more shows you see the more clear it is that the best one is the next one, like a good friend of mine said. And it is also very much up to the crowd, your mood, your expectations, the set list and so on.

The best show for this tour so far has been Hartford. For me. Not counting the club show, which was special. Great crowd and great band. The best ever may be Brixton? I don't know. It would be really stupid to mention one. Buenos Aires have been fantastic every time. Wembley Stadium has been fantastic every time. Fantastic crowds. Italy. Spain. Portugal. Mannheim. Wiltern. Roseland. MSG. Prague. How on earth can you pick one and say it is better? You can't.

I would say they are all like 8 or 9 out of 10. Then some happens to turn out being 10 or 11 out of 10. And a handful like 6 or 7 out of 10. Like Detroit was great but all the cameras and the queues everywhere destroid it a bit so that was not the best but it is still a great memory...

The next one. That's the one. Solider Field tonight.

Bjornulf

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: September 10, 2005 19:05

jesse speaks the truth about the Wiltern (part of remembrances of that show will be watching him interact with Keith throughout the show) - although for me it was a toss-up with that or Orpheum. Orpheum had the advantage of surprise, setlist-wise. And it also had Parachute Woman - 'nuff said.

I wasn't at the aforementioned Wembley show - but the recording bears out the truth - horrible show by Stones standards.

My worst? Easily the San Jose Licks show - mostly due to incomprehensible bad sound - couldn't even pick out one guitar until midway through the show. And we were on the floor in the middle of the arena!

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: September 10, 2005 19:28

best = philly 72 ,,, worst = philly 78 jagger was said 2 hav 102 fever & i was very close 2 stage & he was coughin & gaggin ,but 2 weeks later in buffalo N.Y. they were incredible,,,if i could pick 1 gig that i would hav liked 2 been @ it b MSG 72 the Birthday Show ,, or Brussels 73,,,wouldn't mind L.A. friday 75 neither,,,or the 78 Calif. Shoe show ....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1417
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home