Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: just got it - Bill is missed
Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: September 9, 2005 20:31

The general consensus re DJ on this board has been voiced zillion times. We know it now. I agree with it too. I love Wyman with the Stones. I just wnated to agree with sticky about the other things he said. I've noticed that too.

Posted by: Family ()
Date: September 9, 2005 20:50

I too wish Bill Wyman was in The Rolling Stones.

Posted by: Stikkyfinger ()
Date: September 9, 2005 20:51

Still think Bill is a great bass player...Stones or not.

Daryl is good of course, but it's too early to tell how good...

Of course if Daryl were replaced there'd be people moaning about how good he was for the Stones....

Regards,

Ian.

Rolling Stones Tribute

Play Rolling Stones

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: September 9, 2005 20:52

He IS missed. I saw rythym kings last year and he was great.

Anyway he IS at every Bigger Bang gig..........at the gates with his METAL DETECTOR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

probably checking all the women with his "wand"

sc uk

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: September 9, 2005 21:18

stickydion:

what the hell are you talking about? I have great praises for stones - I've been glowing over some of their new songs and posting alot about it - so sticky that in your dion hat and smoke it!

My latest praise is for their work on 19NB - now posted on rs.com. Excellent stuff - why they haven't incorporated into the set yet, though, is beyond comprehension.

And the last time I saw Bill with the Stones was in '89 - like that has something to do with the price of eggs. He's in much better shape that either of the stones guitarists - i can't believe anyone would even question that. he'll probably live to be 80 - can't imagine either Ron or Keith making into their 70's (sorry, but it's true).

(aka T&A)

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: September 9, 2005 21:36

I think that the Stones rythm section (Keith, Bill , and Charlie) was the strongest of any rock band...ever! They had a chemistry about them. They knew how to anticipate each other's next move and how to stay ahead or behind one another. They were tight and loose at the same time.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: September 9, 2005 22:58

Sure the Stones don't sound the same without Bill, but lets remember Bill quit the band and when an essential member of any band leaves, the dynamics will change as well. Can Darryl carry the beat with Charlie, absolutely. Also, how many out there would be dissmissive of Charlies musical opinions. Charlie was a Jazz guy that got into the blues because of Brian and Stew. Charlie gave Darryl the nod. Nuff said? If Charlie likes playing with Darryl it's enough for me. I agree though the Stones don't sound quite the same without Brian,Bill, or Stew either. I remain happy they are still out on the road and making new music because this is what they LIKE doing.

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: September 9, 2005 23:01

of course i miss Bill Wymans bass playing...he was extremely creative in making up bass lines...however, its not his time anymore...his recordings are preserved...and live, well the new cd is so great..and the boys can still stir it up on stage so enjoy the moment before its gone!!!...best wishes stonesniks

Date: September 10, 2005 00:04

hey Jumpingjackkent...i vote for feel and passion over virtuosity (juliard music school that produces musical clones)....best wishes all

Date: September 10, 2005 00:05

sorry, Jumping Kent Flash

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: September 10, 2005 00:19

lost it ,,another springsteen fan,,,

Date: September 10, 2005 01:06

filstan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Charlie gave Darryl the
> nod. Nuff said? If Charlie likes playing with
> Darryl it's enough for me.

i don't understand that argument at all. seriously - 'cos Charlie likes him, I have to? That's like saying 'cos Mick likes SOL, I must. don't work that way...

Date: September 10, 2005 01:34

I just think as a musician of great renown Charlie knows better about what he wants from a bass player than I do and consequently I accept his decision to bring in Darryl. I mean the guy is a fine player and his sound is quite good so far on the tour. I am not sure what you want? The Ampeg amps and Fender bass he is playing these days with the Stones does the trick. I'd love to have Bill back, but it ain't in the cards my friend. It is what it is and I have no complaints with our bass man(and I don't mean the fish).

Date: September 10, 2005 03:10

ok - decent explanation. although - I would argue that I'd rather have someone with a "personality" on bass, like Joey Spampinato (NRBQ - he was in the running, apparently) even if Charlie didn't like him. after all, it's really all about what I want.

Date: September 10, 2005 03:18

I think Joey would have been a tremendous addition, but it would have taken the Q off the road and that's where their cash comes from. Joey for sure would have been welcomed by Keith in a big way, and his backing vocals would have also have helped. Keiths band for the Chuck Berry project back in the 80's was tight and Joey was a large part of it. I have been a long time fan of NRBQ and try to catch them when they come through Chicago twice a year. Always a good time.

Date: September 10, 2005 03:20

Well - the Q stayed together when Big Al left - so I imagine they'd have found a replacement....

Date: September 10, 2005 03:27

Thats true, but without Joey AND Al I wouldn't bother. They miss Al quite a bit but Johnny does a decent job. Still a fun band.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: September 10, 2005 12:52

I pick feel over virtuosity any day too Leonard. That's why I prefer Woody and Brian over Taylor too. But I just feel that Daryll brought something new and cool to the Stones. Made it sound more fresh. I'm not saying that he could do as great a job as Bill on PIB. He would never. But for a song like Brown Sugar he does a much better job than Bill. But it's a matter of taste as you say.

JumpingKentFlash

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1763
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home