Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Which Madison Square Garden Show to See?
Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: September 8, 2005 09:22

I am trying to decide which MSG show to see -- the one on Sept 13 or the one/two in January. Any thoughts on this? Is it somehow better to see the first one for any reason?
Also weighing into this is I would like to spend a few extra days in NYC and play tourist. How is NYC in January -- too damn cold for any of that or would it be better due to fewer people?
Feel free to comment on anything else about this. Thanks for your time and (hopefully) comments.

Re: Which Madison Square Garden Show to See?
Posted by: marquess ()
Date: September 8, 2005 11:18

Hi there!

I will go top the 20th January show (if there is one), and will spend a few days in NYC: Visit the museums...

I think it will be very cold, but everything is well warmed: restaurants, hotel, museums...

See you there!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 8, 2005 11:35

marquess Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi there!
>
> I will go top the 20th January show (if there is
> one), and will spend a few days in NYC: Visit the
> museums...
>
> I think it will be very cold, but everything is
> well warmed: restaurants, hotel, museums...
>
> See you there!

Hands Down... no question... not even close.. GO SEE THE MSG gigs in January !!

The energy forecast for these shows is so much higher than for the 2005 shows...

REPORT BACK PLEASE !!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 8, 2005 11:43

I'm forecasting the January 18th show to be the most high-energy... that's the show to see, in my opinion...

See link to high and low-energy forecasted shows below;

[iorr.org]

Posted by: WAYNEPA ()
Date: September 8, 2005 13:40

Just my 2 cents but...the Licks Tour...September was the best, the Thursday night in January was 2nd best, the HBO night was in 3rd place...but even the HBO show kicked.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: September 8, 2005 13:58

Do them all. Yes it's cold in January but you hardly have to walk around, take advantage of the taxis and subway.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: September 8, 2005 14:15

On the last tour LICKS I think they hit their top with the best shows for the tour in September - MSG - Giants - Roseland + Hartford. After a month on the road they are just great. Turn on the television cameras and Keith + Mick play to the cameras and not so much to the crowd. Like Detroit. Don't know if MSG Jan will be on TV but if you can go next week then don't miss it.

Bjornulf

Date: September 8, 2005 14:32

And just one more comment... Mick did actually say the following to Rolling Stone in a brand new interview:

I'm quite happy to do less. Because I get bored after twenty shows. It's interesting and challenging to get the thing going. But after you've done it, it becomes routine. Every night you have to make it fresh for yourself, so that when you go out there it's fresh for the audience.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 8, 2005 14:32

timbernardis Wrote:
> I am trying to decide which MSG show to see -- the
> one on Sept 13 or the one/two in January. Any
> thoughts on this? Is it somehow better to see the
> first one for any reason?
> Also weighing into this is I would like to spend a
> few extra days in NYC and play tourist. How is
> NYC in January -- too damn cold for any of that or
> would it be better due to fewer people?
> Feel free to comment on anything else about this.
> Thanks for your time and (hopefully) comments.

mm..well arent the September and January shows already sold out? Its a bit strange to be debating which to go to when one of them is under a week away...

Date: September 8, 2005 14:40

Hey Gazza. You are from the homeland of the touts. Those who come from London and travel all over Europe selling tickets at sold out shows. Their US scalper brothers will be outside MSG trying to get rid of 450 dollar tickets, as always.

And if you live in NYC then it is not that hard to take the underground to MSG.

Bjornulf

Date: September 8, 2005 14:43

Not sure what youre trying to get at, but yeah of course theres always touts selling tickets

But I dont know where timbernardis is from and how far he has to travel, which is why I was surprised he hadnt made his mind up about next week's show when its only 5 days away..

Posted by: Milo Yammbag ()
Date: September 8, 2005 18:07

GO TO BOTH IF YOU CAN, here's why. I have tickets to both. First off there is something about the Garden that brings out the best in the band. The Sept. 13 is early in the tour and they are still smoothing out the edges, so to speak. They always do a special number or have some sonic treat at the Garden.

The January show is when you are gonna catch the band at the prime of the tour, just finished all the stadium shows, been playing for 4/5 months and they are tighter than a hot 16 year old virgin. Theyh will raise the Garden roof in January.

Thats what happened with the LICKS tour. Saw them about 10 shows into the tour at Giants Stadium, which was a great stadium show. When I saw them in January 03 (the HBO CONCERT) they were just great. Best I heard them since front row (stage center, row 1) during Voodoo.

Go to both if you can, but if you can only pick one go with January.

Milo, NYC
Get out of my house with that dirty old mouse

Date: September 8, 2005 18:19

Milo

I'll be at the January shows.

Just how cold IS New York in January????

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: September 8, 2005 18:19

I would say go next week. Or of coarse both if you can afford it. The weather in NYC right now is perfect and last time around they were so great their first time around in NY, they played an interesting set that included Lovin Cup and the whole show was great. In January the show did see a little more catered to the cameras which may happen again if they do a show on TV.

So are people meeting up anywhere on Tuesday, me and a friend would like to hit a few bars before the show and I'd like to say hi to some fellow IORR members.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-08 18:23 by Hound Dog.

Date: September 8, 2005 18:22

Gazza, it could be pretty cold. If its windy the wind will just howl through the building and you will freeze your nuts off. But like mentioned above you can find a nice cozy bar to hang out at so it shouldn't matter. If the Stones are in town I don't think much else matters.

Date: September 8, 2005 18:23

theres no indication that there'll be a TV show from new York in january, so I dont think thats relevant.

Just because they did a show from there last time doesnt follow that it'll happen on this tour. They've used different cities on each PPV show down the years. It could even be from the 2005 part of the tour (Memphis would be a cool one, surely, being as its the last show and its musical history!)

Date: September 8, 2005 18:25

Hound Dog Wrote:
> Gazza, it could be pretty cold. If its windy the
> wind will just howl through the building and you
> will freeze your nuts off. But like mentioned
> above you can find a nice cozy bar to hang out at
> so it shouldn't matter. If the Stones are in town
> I don't think much else matters.
>
> Gonna find my way to heaven, cause I did my time
> in hell

thanks. Even in the wet UK we dont get weather that extreme.

I intend to stay sufficiently occupied not to notice!!..and ideally, I can keep my nuts warm too...

Date: September 8, 2005 18:31

In NYC the summers get hotter than hell and the winters get frigid. So you are either in AC or bundling up. That is why the fall is a nice time to visit.

By the way, I just made my friend's day by asking him if he wants to come to the show next week with me. My girlfriend was supposed to go with me but she went to the Hartford show with me and told me to take a friend. He has seen them twice with me in the past but never in an arena so he is pumped.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: September 8, 2005 20:23

I believe this tour is a buyers market for the fans that play EBAY late within a week of the show and look around. Tickets have been made avaialble at or below cost. I think the scalpers are holding lots of tickets are are nervous. These early tour shows all have had tickets available on line as well via Ticketbastard. If you want to go to a specific concert you will get in and probably be able to sit near to where you want. Consequently, those that get to NYC to hear the Stones at MSG will get in and be happy campers. Just my 2 cents.

Posted by: Milo Yammbag ()
Date: September 10, 2005 07:29

Usually VERY COLD in the Big Apple in January. You only really notice it though when you walk out of MSG sweating from the show the Stones just gave you.

Best of luck, either way you can't lose

Milo, NYC
May the good lord shine a light on you

Date: September 10, 2005 13:40

In 2003 it was -6 when I arrived in NY. I think the coldest was -8. It felt the same in 1998. But 2002 was warm and in 1989 it was hotter than Lanzarote and that was October, 72.

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: September 10, 2005 14:07

BV...to be fair...I didn't find 1 REAL ticket to the HBO show. I was out there looking for 1 for my g/f (I already had mine...long story...don't ask) and all the scalpers had bad tickets (ordered from TM & then canceled after ordering)...I knew b/c I saw a few people get turned away after their tickets were scanned (there goes $3,000), and the scalpers refused to walk me to the gate (so I could make sure the tickets were good...every venue I've bought scalped tickets, the seller would do this). It was really the ONLY gig I've ever seen that didn't have 1 real ticket on the street...just rip off artists.

Note: Even with my broken leg...cast & all...ended up against the rail for Keef...wearing my great Dragons t-shirt...the best band you never heard of (Alejandro Escovedo's little brother is the singer...smokin' rock n' roll).

Hope I can make the 2 gigs in January...MSG really is a hot gig...and I loved the Blushing Brides...wish they'd come to the W. Coast.

Date: September 10, 2005 14:11

A friend of mine got burned at MSG in 2003 also. Got to say that lining up for tickets in the cold wouldn't be much fun but better than losing a couple of hundred bucks. People seem to go crazy because it was pay per view but that doen't make it a better show than normal. The first night in 2003 was better and Miami in 1994 was not as good as Tampa a couple of days before.

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: September 10, 2005 15:04

YMan, my darn plane landed in Memphis in a snowstorm...on my way to ISLIP. Needless to say, I was freaking out & exceedingly anxious/pissed as my plane FINALLY got on its way to NY. My g/f was at the airport with a car to pick me up. I had 3 broken ribs, busted wrist, leg was in half...& flew down the terminal in my crutches to get to the car. We drove like hell & she dropped me off out front (she is a wonderful person...no longer my g/f...but great friend) of MSG & I made it by song 5. I was ticked I'd missed part of the show...but ya'll know how it is...once I was in there...I was on fire & just flying...LOVED it.

What is it about rock n' roll man? It just...well...moves me...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1733
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home