Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: The Who announce Las Vegas residence
Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: March 14, 2017 14:07

They were the best band at Desert Trip, by far. Attendance is mandatory.

Date: March 14, 2017 14:39

DeanGoodman

Funny how people see things different. I did the 2nd weekend and thought the Stones and Neil were about even and by far the 2 best acts.

Dylan was Dylan and he was exactly as I expected.

I truly thought The Who was easily the worst band there. I was in the pit and had a great spot. To me Roger looks like he is not sure if he is singing the first song or the last song.

That was my 4th time to see the who.

At Desert trip they were just ok.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: March 14, 2017 14:59

Why should a band NOT playing Las Vegas?

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: March 14, 2017 15:03

Thought the Stones were great on the second desert trip show, better than the Who for sure. Roger hadn't fully got over his meningitis and without being to personal Roger and Pete have gained a bit more in weight than our boys and i thought they looked a bit silly at times especially when Pete did his knee slides lol.

Comparing Dylan or Neil Young to the Stones or the Who is a strange comparison, like comparing Ballet to Riverdance Irish Step Dancing, they are completely different as an art form. I would say Dylan was in fine form as were the Stones (second night) but who is better goes down to your taste in music and what you want from a Rock concert. As a spectacle i can't think of anything more opposite than Jagger compared to Dylan as performers. I would hate to think that in some way they delivered a similar result musically or visually.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: March 14, 2017 15:21

I saw the Who in Bologna, Italy last year and they rocked the house down with the fans going crazy. They did the long instrumental "The Rock" in the middle of the show, which gave Roger a much needed rest.

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: March 14, 2017 17:18

The Who were the best band at Desert Trip weekend 1. I'll be going to Vegas.....almost 40 years after my first Who show!

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: March 14, 2017 17:27

schillid

If there is an opening act, then it's okay to say the Who's on second... That's really the same as saying who's on last.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 14, 2017 19:18

stone4ever
Thought the Stones were great on the second desert trip show, better than the Who for sure. Roger hadn't fully got over his meningitis and without being to personal Roger and Pete have gained a bit more in weight than our boys and i thought they looked a bit silly at times especially when Pete did his knee slides lol.

Comparing Dylan or Neil Young to the Stones or the Who is a strange comparison, like comparing Ballet to Riverdance Irish Step Dancing, they are completely different as an art form. I would say Dylan was in fine form as were the Stones (second night) but who is better goes down to your taste in music and what you want from a Rock concert. As a spectacle i can't think of anything more opposite than Jagger compared to Dylan as performers. I would hate to think that in some way they delivered a similar result musically or visually.

I'm not a fan of Ballet or Riverdance Irish Step Dancing, but nice analogy. thumbs up

The Stones were great weekend two, weekend one was run of the mill.
Neil Young was absolutely great both weekends - Dylan the same.
No opinion on Paul McCartney as I left early for weekend two, but I assume it was exact as weekend one which was nearly identical as Dodger stadium a few years ago.
Roger Waters was better weekend one due to sensory overload and surprises - weekend two nearly identical but knew what to expect.
As for the Who, loved both weekends and was surprised how much so. First saw them in '79 (great), then in '82' (average), then about 10 years ago (boring).
I was reminded of their greatness at Desert Trip as there seemed to be a huge spark of energy that's been missing for so many years - they rose to the occasion.
Would love to see them again in Vegas, but will be there in June for another occasion, so not sure if I'm willing to make the six hour trek through the desert again so soon.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 14, 2017 20:31

Spud
For me personally, Roger and Pete are no longer The Who.

For many folks the Stones lost a lot when Bill "retired".

The Who arguably lost more when Keith Moon died, but remained viable until losing the Ox... which was one vital loss too many.

Very, sadly, true. I actually thought the Who were 'back' when I saw them on The Concert For New York City DVD. Zak Starkey on drums was much more effective than Jones.

As for Wyman it took some time for that to sink in. It wasn't that noticeable with Voodoo Lounge. I attributed that more to crappy songwriting, except for a few choice cuts. As time went on it became apparent that the bass was no longer integral or contributing to the Stones' sound. Never much of a self promoter within the band, and lacking major champions outside of it (until Dylan), Wyman's respect was earned over years. With it fans know the Golden Age ended with his departure.

We expect too much from these bands now. If they want to go on never ending Greatest Hits Tours, with adequate side men, more power to them. I don't have to go see them. I can always put on Blu Rays from when they were great.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-14 20:31 by 24FPS.

Posted by: dennycranium ()
Date: March 14, 2017 21:03

A casual fan may be unaware that Entwistle passed away.

Roger Daltrey and Pete Townsend are arguably, the faces of the band.

Vegas isn't catering to Who or Stones fanatics.

They want to catch the casual fan going by.

I wouldn't make the trip to see the Who, especially, but would catch a show if I were there for vacation or business.

And hey, they're in their seventies? It's ok to take up residence somewhere to play.
Make them come to you.
Travelling can be grueling.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 15, 2017 02:39

dennycranium
And hey, they're in their seventies? It's ok to take up residence somewhere to play.
Make them come to you.
Travelling can be grueling.

I agree. At this point if you're seeing them you know what to expect. I'm young, I BEGGED my father to see them with me in 06 or so. He refused, multiple times. Usually I can wear him down (I did with the Stones in 06) but he didn't budge here. Whether he was right or wrong, I'm not sure. He saw them twice in the Tommy days, so I get not wanting to go again (especially with Keith and John gone), although I still think he might have had fun. But if he was just gonna mope, he was right not to go, as are all like that. I went in 2011 or so and had a ton of fun. They can still rock if you set expectations realistically. I don't begrudge them doing a residency. It is a bit silly but hey, if they can why not? Until they truly sound sad, I have no qualms and for good or bad they are still pretty ramshackle and its got that rock n roll feel. Get the money at this age if you can. I think Rog still tries, sometimes successfully sometimes not, and Pete, for all its worth, still tries and almost always still sounds great even at 70. Bless him.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: March 15, 2017 07:25

crholmstrom
it's a really good venue. i've seen jerry seinfeld, rod stewart & elton john there. elton was the same weekend as the stones there in 2012. really good sound & no bad seats. i sat way upstairs & it was totally fine. tickets are spendy ($75-$500). the $75 seats would be fine. tempting but they are playing there when it is wicked hot down there. maybe. i have bad karma with the who in vegas. i went down for the show when entwisle died. found out pulling up to the hotel & seeing RIP john on the marquee. that was the trip i learned never to drink & gamble at the same time...

wow. full power rock and roll tragedy and you were right there for the show?
wow i cant imagine getting there and seeing that on the marquee; yikes...tragic.
man i can't imagine what must've been goin' thru your head at that moment. it messes w me just thinkin' of u driving up to see that...

first time i saw them was at central park sheeps meadow; i think linda ronstandt was playing too tho that might have been a different day in the park?

i distinctly remember most of that show too...68 at the latest and def pre tommy...
they were the loudest thing i've ever ever heard. to this day. and it was OUTSIDE...in the days before the grandest biggest P.A.s too; those amps were LOUD...it was LOUD and it was perfect....i kept asking my older friends about keith . how does he do that how does he do that seriously how can he do that!!????

and keith would drink this big gulp of what i thought was water in my innocence. i think you could see thru the glass or something; it wasn't a colored paper cup it was a glass or a bottle of water; did he drink vodka or clear booze of some kind? was he into that? how does he do that how is it possible...
my older friend, a college dropout, i was still in high school maybe a junior...
and greg said
speed.
?

it was an amazing show; i'd see em a half dozen more times before '71; they got me real good that day...i already had all the albums; they were something of a cult act here. i mean Happy Jack wasn't tearing up the charts or anything...
i still think them divine...i would disagree that they're useless now tho i haven't seen them since keith passed away...
i liked some of the desert trip a lot; i think they are a worthwhile act even a fascinating one even now...i'm glad they're still up and going...
i understand The Two ain't The Who tho they do Who music. I mean i SHOULD uderstand that i've seen the classic band in the prime so many times i actually got to meet two of em and hang w one of em...so i've every reason to diss an old has been band milking it but i don't think of them like that...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-15 07:32 by hopkins.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: March 15, 2017 09:32

hopkins
crholmstrom
it's a really good venue. i've seen jerry seinfeld, rod stewart & elton john there. elton was the same weekend as the stones there in 2012. really good sound & no bad seats. i sat way upstairs & it was totally fine. tickets are spendy ($75-$500). the $75 seats would be fine. tempting but they are playing there when it is wicked hot down there. maybe. i have bad karma with the who in vegas. i went down for the show when entwisle died. found out pulling up to the hotel & seeing RIP john on the marquee. that was the trip i learned never to drink & gamble at the same time...

wow. full power rock and roll tragedy and you were right there for the show?
wow i cant imagine getting there and seeing that on the marquee; yikes...tragic.
man i can't imagine what must've been goin' thru your head at that moment. it messes w me just thinkin' of u driving up to see that...

first time i saw them was at central park sheeps meadow; i think linda ronstandt was playing too tho that might have been a different day in the park?

i distinctly remember most of that show too...68 at the latest and def pre tommy...
they were the loudest thing i've ever ever heard. to this day. and it was OUTSIDE...in the days before the grandest biggest P.A.s too; those amps were LOUD...it was LOUD and it was perfect....i kept asking my older friends about keith . how does he do that how does he do that seriously how can he do that!!????

and keith would drink this big gulp of what i thought was water in my innocence. i think you could see thru the glass or something; it wasn't a colored paper cup it was a glass or a bottle of water; did he drink vodka or clear booze of some kind? was he into that? how does he do that how is it possible...
my older friend, a college dropout, i was still in high school maybe a junior...
and greg said
speed.
?

it was an amazing show; i'd see em a half dozen more times before '71; they got me real good that day...i already had all the albums; they were something of a cult act here. i mean Happy Jack wasn't tearing up the charts or anything...
i still think them divine...i would disagree that they're useless now tho i haven't seen them since keith passed away...
i liked some of the desert trip a lot; i think they are a worthwhile act even a fascinating one even now...i'm glad they're still up and going...
i understand The Two ain't The Who tho they do Who music. I mean i SHOULD uderstand that i've seen the classic band in the prime so many times i actually got to meet two of em and hang w one of em...so i've every reason to diss an old has been band milking it but i don't think of them like that...

thumbs up

Posted by: onestep ()
Date: March 15, 2017 15:57

Well, I love The Who, one of my first concert experiences in the 70's showed me the power of live music, and I have been addicted ever since. I have seen their previous outing this past year or so, and Townshend was very ill in Washington DC...but they did NOT disappoint. One of the hardest working live acts still performing. WE got SLIP KID, because Townshend couldn't sing Eminence Front. I used to follow them all over the world...lucky enough to be in the front row of the RAH, it was Entwhistles last live performance. They are a great live act still, and I don't care what they call themselves...I mean really, they are performing Who music....and if Townshend thinks they sound ok....they must, or he wouldn't do it.

Will Who fans travel to Las Vegas, and see several shows in a row?

Sounds like an experiment to me....the poster says something like the first shows go on sale..or something to that effect...wonder if they will do the new MGM in DC, or something similar on the East Coast?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-15 15:58 by onestep.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: March 15, 2017 17:15

MAXIMUM R&B

Posted by: Toxic34 ()
Date: March 16, 2017 00:51

Vegas residencies used to be the hint of an artist's dying gasp. It initially didn't seem that way for Elvis, but it proved to be that way in the end. The challenged eventually dried up, and he just got stuck in a rut. His career was never the same.

But Celine and Elton changed that. A Vegas residency is now the in thing to do. After all, Elton is far from finished and has plenty of life in him yet. Now every act wants to do these shows. Up until now, all the rock acts were doing stints at The Joint. But The Who will be the first to play Caesars Palace for such a stint, and will have plenty of times returning for it.

BTW, to clarify, Roger and Pete said the tour would be their last big one, but they didn't claim they would be retiring this time around. Pete even hinted that they were looking at residency shows as the future from here on out, especially when he admitted he was getting a real kick out of performing before these crowds and doesn't have any feeling of wanting to hang it up for good right now.

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: March 16, 2017 01:41

jumpontopofmebaby
DeanGoodman

Funny how people see things different. I did the 2nd weekend and thought the Stones and Neil were about even and by far the 2 best acts.

I truly thought The Who was easily the worst band there. I was in the pit and had a great spot. To me Roger looks like he is not sure if he is singing the first song or the last song.

Agree. Pete said the band was tired after their trip to Mexico between DT 1 & 2.

Thought they picked it up a bit towards the end, but the show I saw in May in Vancouver was far, far better. You could feel the electricity coming off the stage.

And they played 'Pictures of Lily' & busted out first 'Acid Queen' since '89.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: March 16, 2017 02:38

Generally speaking, The Who's live sound has not aged well for me. I find some of PT's solo stuff more interesting. Empty Glass is terrific as is his collaboration with Lane, Rough Mix. But then I saw them on TV, live on stage with the expanded line-up and I thought it was great. The sound filled out for me. It was musically more interesting, less overpoweringly bombastic. I feel the same way about U2, live. Something is missing on stage that they can more or less fill-in in the recording studio.

Posted by: atip ()
Date: March 16, 2017 14:51

jumpontopofmebaby
DeanGoodman

You are correct... Two people can see/hear the same thing and get totally different impressions/interpretations. But that's the beauty of music, isn't it? For me, Stones, Who, and Neil were all excellent. Won't try to split hairs on who edged out who. Dylan seemed totally uninspired, IMO. He was just going through the motions.

I'm off to the UK in April for The Who in Glasgow, Sheffield, and Birmingham!

Date: March 16, 2017 16:58

I can't go during this time period, but on certain days, there are single tickets in the 5th row, Pete's side. Who fans would kill me if they knew I shared...but I made a deal once with a Who fan...he and his wife stood in front of me in the front row of a RAH show, Pete's side....bumping and dancing, it was like almost being in the second row. I was in a decent mood, and told them hey why try to throw someone out...just if you ever meet me again, and on the rare chance you can let me get closer...just do it.

Well....the German guy never thought he would see me again...but there was this line at the HOB Chicago, which I got tickets to...and he and the wife were 6th in that line..to enter into the concert floor General Admission....they didn't let me get in front of them...I was with 3 other people...I said HELLO, remember ME and the deal we made....I was surprised at his reaction...he was NOT happy to see me, and remembered me VERY well. I did get in of course, and weaseled my way into the 4th row, with Pearl Jam opening for The WHO in the HOB....it was awesome. The last thing I was going to do was get into a terribly ugly scene at such a great event...I could have very easily...just isn't my style.

Here you go...if you wanna go to Vegas..thanks to my reneging German friend.

[www.axs.com]

PINBALL17....code presale

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-16 17:00 by onestep.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: March 16, 2017 20:22

Being in show town, will they smash half their equipment at the end of their shows.

Re: OT: The Who announce Las Vegas residence--NEW presale info
Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: March 16, 2017 21:52

Wow... Great Band Great Venue I'm in !!

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 16, 2017 23:33

MKjan
Being in show town, will they smash half their equipment at the end of their shows.

They haven't smashed anything since 2004.

Date: March 16, 2017 23:36

tatters
MKjan

They haven't smashed anything since 2004.

I think Pete smashed his old knees at Desert Trip by attempting to knee slide across the stage.
Not sure how it felt for him, but it looked painful to me.

Date: March 17, 2017 15:17

The presale is now over, of course, but there were some awesome seats available....I think The Stones presale of something similar would have been a riot! I can't see members of the band being able to sit still in one place for an extended period of time...especially Mick and Keith.

Date: March 17, 2017 15:20

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-17 15:29 by onestep.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: March 17, 2017 16:11

onestep
The presale is now over, of course, but there were some awesome seats available....I think The Stones presale of something similar would have been a riot! I can't see members of the band being able to sit still in one place for an extended period of time...especially Mick and Keith.

unless the price was right, of course

Date: March 20, 2017 19:50

More US dates added...NOT in Vegas!

July 16 2017 Canandaigua, NY CMAC Tickets
July 18 2017 National Harbor, MD MGM National Harbor Tickets
July 22 2017 Atlantic City, NJ Boardwalk Hall Tickets
July 25 2017 Grand Rapids, MI Van Andel Arena

* Gives me hope they might come back to the west coast...maybe after Vegas?!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-20 19:51 by Hairball.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1496
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home