Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Alphabetically, Chronologically, or Haphazardly...how do you file your Stones Records?!
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 1, 2017 02:00

OK let's amp this up a bit...does anyone keep a complete list of their collection, ie on a word document or excel spreadsheet?

It is geekish I know, but I've found that my collection has gotten so large that if I ever had the misfortune of having to do an insurance claim, I couldn't remember half of what I have. I have a detailed list of album/single, what country it's from, and how many copies I have, what condition they are in ie M, NM, VG+ and so on, or whether they are sealed, or autographed etc.

Now that it's complete, I update it any time I get a new album and then email that to myself so I have a copy offsite.

SERIOUS COLLECTING!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-01 08:01 by treaclefingers.

Re: Alphabetically, Chronologically, or Haphazardly...how do you file your Stones Records?!
Posted by: Voodookitten76 ()
Date: March 1, 2017 03:50

treaclefingers
OK let's amp this up a bit...does anyone keep a complete list of their collection, ie on a word document or excel spreadsheet?

It is geekish I know, but I've found that my collection has gotten so large that if I ever had the misfortune of having to do an insurance claim, I couldn't remember half of what I have. I have a detailed list of album/single, what country it's from, and how many copies I have, what condition they are in ie M, NM, VG+ and so on, or whether they are sealed, or autographed etc.

Not that it's complete, I update it any time I get a new album and then email that to myself so I have a copy offsite.

SERIOUS COLLECTING!

Yep. My husband entered all of both of our LP collections into Discogs, which is great for insurance purposes, because it appraises them for you based on previous sales on the site (the high end figure is the replacement value), and you can just print the whole thing out and give it to your insurance agent.

"Nice bit of silk, Em."

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: March 1, 2017 07:03

treaclefingers

Not that it's complete, I update it any time I get a new album and then email that to myself so I have a copy offsite.

SERIOUS COLLECTING!

Treacle, you are so smart to do this! I am in the process. LOTS of work, but kudos to you for doing it!

I keep mine chronologically, but within that, by LP. Thus, my 15 different Exiles are together in chorno order.

Bootlegs after official LPs. CDs in a different level, as are 8 trax, reel-to-reels, cassettes, and 45s.

over 2,000 different pieces.

Did I say - LOTS of work?

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Date: March 1, 2017 08:04

Voodookitten76
treaclefingers

SERIOUS COLLECTING!

Yep. My husband entered all of both of our LP collections into Discogs, which is great for insurance purposes, because it appraises them for you based on previous sales on the site (the high end figure is the replacement value), and you can just print the whole thing out and give it to your insurance agent.
that's great advice, thanks for sharing! I used to periodically check ebay and for my higher value items copy and paste recent sales as a reference but your suggestion is better because you don't need to keep track, the site does it for you!

Date: March 1, 2017 08:26

stonesstein
treaclefingers

SERIOUS COLLECTING!

Treacle, you are so smart to do this! I am in the process. LOTS of work, but kudos to you for doing it!

I keep mine chronologically, but within that, by LP. Thus, my 15 different Exiles are together in chorno order.

Bootlegs after official LPs. CDs in a different level, as are 8 trax, reel-to-reels, cassettes, and 45s.

over 2,000 different pieces.

Did I say - LOTS of work?

well it started getting ridiculous. i didn't know how many copies i had of exile, or how many sealed copies of Voodoo Lounge or whatever. Much easier once you've put together a list, as much work as it is initially. But like you and obviously a lot of others I have thousands of vinyls and cds and it was pathetic not knowing what i had. feels good to get organized!

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: March 1, 2017 11:47

treaclefingers

Now that it's complete, I update it any time I get a new album and then email that to myself so I have a copy offsite.

SERIOUS COLLECTING!

Yes, 43 pages x 60 entries per page - Stones concerts, outtakes etc & solo stuff including tours...............

But if you think that's a lot.....checkout the Stones Vault Cumulative Spreadsheet (updated 2nd December 2016) ......... [www.iorr.org]

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: March 2, 2017 00:30

chronologically, from first to last studio album cd, then the same with compilations where the oldest song takes precedence over which compilation is first, then live albums from recording date and not release date, i dont own any tapes now, and my vinyl stones collection has not been updated for years, but will be hopefully in future.

but when ive had a few beers and listening to ther stones the order can get muddled for a bit.

Posted by: stonesmuziekfan ()
Date: March 5, 2017 00:28

EddieByword
if you think that's a lot.....checkout the Stones Vault Cumulative Spreadsheet (updated 2nd December 2016) ......... [www.iorr.org]

Yeah, Stonesvault spreadsheet, only as far as my collection is uploaded to Filefactory.

I have all my stuf digitally on 14 x 3TB externals, about 20% is in STONESVAULT wich is an alternate kind of backup for me.
Had to use it once after one of older external crashed.
Missed a couple of shows of wich links no longer were available, but with the help of friends I was able to restore all that was on that external.

I you want you can download all links.

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: March 5, 2017 00:37

I organized my collection by the look of each CD or vinyl. For example all the Decca stuff is togehter, all the CBS stuff is togehter, all the vault stuff and so on.

Kind of live that:

Not mine but mine looks like that.

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: March 5, 2017 00:46

nobody does fingerprint files ? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

I file LP chronologically, with all new vaults separated.
Maybe I should do a list in Discogs too.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: March 5, 2017 14:25

OK, here's how I do it:

The CBS CDs in no particular order.

The UMG studio masters are in a box, and from Sticky Fingers through to a Bigger Bang. On top of the box, piled up, are the live albums from Love You Live through to Sweet Summer Sun, including No Security. Also included is the Brussels / Marquee Japanese 3CD 1 DVD set, and CDs of Crosseyed Heart, Gimme Some Neck, Wandering Spirt, Goddess in the Doorway, the 2cd Exile On Main Street, and the 2cd Some Girls.

The ABKCO SACDs from England's Newest Hitmakers through to Let It Bleed, aren't filed in any particular order, but are next to Talk Is Cheap, Main Offender, Live at The Palladium, and some Bonnie Raitt albums.

The MONO Box is next to a load of box sets, including the Sticky Fingers deluxe. On a current pile of CDs is the recent Friday reissue of I've Got My Own Alum / Now Look.

Additionally, the Singles Years (ABKCO) is included in two formats: the SACD pressing from 2002, and the London CD from 1990 or thereabouts. The London CD set has a burn on one of its cases as I dropped some hot resin on it from my days at university.

So, that's how they're filed.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1775
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home