Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Copy Control
Posted by: G. the Cock ()
Date: September 5, 2005 18:35

"A Bigger Bang" doesn't work on my car stereo as "Live Licks" did neither!!!

In German copies of ABB you find a sheet from EMI 'Marktforschung' (market research) asking you questions like, "why did you buy the original and didn't copy it"...

A phone call with an absolutely dumb EMI employee resulted in 'nada' - "that can't happen normally" - or shit like that...

For this infamy, we should find something to react, like overflowing their mail-servers or something like that.....

It's a f...ing pity they do that and they don't understand nothing!!!!

Truth is stranger than fiction

stoned greetings
G. The Cock

Re: Copy Control
Posted by: open-g ()
Date: September 5, 2005 18:56

Yes infamy!!!
I'm also feed up with that Copy Protection. Damn Mofos.
I need it copied for my mp3 stick and PC. Also need a copy to take to partys and in the car.
How can these Idiots assume the album won't slip onto the net. lossless of course.
So its the true customers that get the hassle. Not the torrent users.

I don't even own a normal CD Player.
It won't play on my PC (maybe with installing that .exe) but I have to find out what the backlash is, BEFORE I install it. anyone got a clue?

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: September 5, 2005 19:08

I didn't experience any problems with the CD, I could play it on Windows Media Player without installing the software that came with the CD - I also ripped it to MP3 with Media Player without any problems. And I could burn copies without problems with Nero.

That's what they call a copy protection? Why don't they just release a normal cd with out any "protection" that plays on all players...

Belgrade-Bucharest-Budapest-Brno

Posted by: TeleK ()
Date: September 5, 2005 19:36

that really works with windows media player...hahaha shit copy protection :-)
now i can hear it on my mp3 portable ...

-----------------------------------------------------
Oh, give me the beat, boys, and free my soul
I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away

Posted by: Sir Oliver ()
Date: September 5, 2005 19:43

I am able to play the CD with Windows 2000 without installing the software from the CD (only with the "cd player" program, but it won´t autostart, I had to start the cd player program and then I could play the cd), but it did not work with Media Player, so it did not run on my Win XP which does not have the "cd player" anymore (it will certainly work if I use a different player though).

It´s crap they ruin it for the honest customer who are in fact experiencing problems here and there.. It might also reduce sound quality as most copy protection methods work by putting weak/defective or non-standard sectors on the CD (which the cd player has to correct when reading it out)...

Btw, does the UK edition of ABB (if there is one) also have the copy control crap? I noticed the UK(!) 2-track single of SOL/RJ did not have copy protection, although the German 3 track version has.

However, I could rip a copy of the album with EAC anyway (although not in secure mode). Damn good copy protection really! You do not even have to use illegal means to copy it (legal situation here is that I may copy the CD for private backup reasons as long as I don´t break any copy protection - which I obviously did not even need to)...

Leave this crap off the disc - which was pretty expensive btw I might add!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-05 20:02 by Sir Oliver.

Date: September 5, 2005 19:45

Just copied it with Nero and it works on my car stereo but including heavy distortions....

Those people at EMI are dumb as a hair brush - sorry to all hairbrushes in the world....

stoned greetings
G. The Cock

Date: September 5, 2005 19:55

I don't care for sound problems, cause I'll be having the vinyl for sound, but I've payed € 15,49 for a CD which is now my OWN and the dumb people from EMI don't allow me to do what I want with it, even listen to in my car.... that's crazy!!!!!!!

stoned greetings
G. The Cock

Date: September 5, 2005 20:07

Yes, it seems to work with Windows Media Player, but don't forget it'll put it down to .wma or .mp3 files, that's surely NOT what I want for my money!!!!!

stoned greetings
G. The Cock

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: September 5, 2005 20:26

The copy I burned from the wav files posted in alt.binaries.sounds.lossless works beautifully in all cd players in my house and cars!

They are missing the point with this copy protection crap.

I was planning on buying an official version when it came out, but why would I PAY for a copy that won't even work in all of my cd players when I can download a SUPERIOR version (i.e. one that will actually play!) for free??

The wav files sound much clearer than the mp3's posted from the cd, and probably just as good as the official release. Also, all of the artwork is included so I now see NO REASON to by the official version.

Copy protection cost them this sale.

Ross

Date: September 5, 2005 20:32

Yeah Ross, I've been trying to explain that to the dumb @#$%& at EMI, but they actually don't understand that or won't to. It's the same with bootleggin, they've (and they means the Record Industry) always said, that's killing the sales for official albums - what a bullshit - I've got a huge vinyl bootleg collection and of cousre ALL regular albums, as we all have I guess.

stoned greetings
G. The Cock

Date: September 5, 2005 20:35

I've spelled it c u n t in my post and I mean that!!!

stoned greetings
G. The Cock

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: September 5, 2005 22:45

Having had trouble with copy-protected releases before (the last track of Dr. John's N'awlinz Dis Dat Or D'Udda does not play correctly on my player), I've been searching the net some time ago for info on this annoying topic. What I've found out is the following:

1)There is no copy protection software so far that works as it's supposed to be.
2)That's why there are some among the 4 major labels (EMI, TimeWarner, SonyBMG,
Universal) that have stopped using it in a large scale (TimeWarner, Universal)
because of the negative responses they have received from customers. Eric
Clapton's Me & Mr Johnson was copy-protected in Germany, though consisting
exclusively of traditional songs (!) whilst his new album is not. SonyBMG is
split amongst it's two halves on the issue as BMG had a worldwide hit with the
copy-protected Velvet Revolver album and Sony had the customer troubles.
It's only EMI who put this dreck on all their releases including reissues. Just
look at the cover of the European version of the remaster of John Lennon's Rock N
Roll album. That copy-protection logo is very prominent on that cover.
3)The record labels have had plenty of success in political lobbying here in
Germany, because since 2002, it is illegal over here to copy CDs as long as they
are copy-protected (no matter whether the protection actually works).
4)I wrote a letter to the big 5 (then they were still 5) on the topic and asked
them if they could recommend me an mp3-player with which it is legal to rip my
CDs into it. I got a standardised reply from BMG containing all their propaganda
on the issue, and a personal reply from Sony that didn't touch the issue of
ripping. The others didn't reply, but Universal quit releasing unwanted software
and Warner doesn't do it much anymore. Only EMI is so stubborn. I wonder how many
royalties they have already payed those programmers on advance, ha ha!
5)I'm waiting until tomorrow to see what our fellow American Stones fans write
about the album. If it's free of such software, I'll order it there, because a
software-free disc plays is always trouble-free.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: September 5, 2005 23:08

Oh, yes, G. - you spelled it c u n t in your post and you meant it. What do you expect from an EMI employee ? Did you speak to the Management people ? I mean, really. What else can a normal employee answer than what he is instructed to say ? Speak to the people who are responsible for this copy protection shit which is useless anyway. You can always record the analog signal through line-in. Not much difference compared to pure digital. A protection which is so easy to trick is no protection at all. And it offends the people who actually buy the CD cause they can't play it their cars. This way, copy protection convinces even the most loyal CD buyers that it's better to d/l the stuff and burn it. Well done, record industry!

Date: September 6, 2005 05:14

Best things of all is:
we, Europeans got an extra bonus (17th track) on the CD.
problem is - it sounds like crap, real rough justice in digits - and it sure sounds bad.
Our friends in the US don't get that kinda shit. what are we gonna do about it?

I still neeed to know what that (mofo)Install exe writes to my registry!?!

also, in 6 years, I have avoided to use that (mofo)media player - and I will continue.
All I want is a red book compatible CD - understand ? music industrie???

Posted by: RoddyD ()
Date: September 6, 2005 05:22

Isobuster

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-06 05:22 by RoddyD.

Date: September 6, 2005 05:46

RoddyD Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Isobuster
>
>
>
> Edited 1 times. Last edit at 09/06/05 03:22 by
> RoddyD.

I read ya and I know,
just wanna shake rattle &roll

Posted by: drake ()
Date: September 6, 2005 09:05

>I was planning on buying an official version when it came out, but why would I
>PAY for a copy that won't even work in all of my cd players when I can download
>a SUPERIOR version (i.e. one that will actually play!) for free?

I fail to understand why an official release disc wont play in all of your cd players unless A. The disc is scratched beyond repair or B. Whatever it wont play in simply sucks. If you can play a burned disc (IE: a disc burned from wav files of the tracks) then why wouldnt it play a normal release. In all my years of listening to music I have never heard of something like this. If the new Stones disc wont play in your car then I suggest your car cd player is a few decades old and simply needs to be replaced.

I also find your argument to be complete bullshit. Every Stones fan should buy the disc. There isnt a good excuse not to unless you simply dont want the album in your collection. Downloading it for free without ever purchasing the disc in any form is bullshit. My two cents.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: September 6, 2005 14:30

Dear American Stones fans, is there a data track (copy-protection) on the A Bigger Bang disc?
Thanks for info.

@drake: copy-protected CDs are designed to not play properly in CD-ROM drives. The CD-ROM drive uses a different standard than CD-players and became popular during the 90s, so popular in fact that drives that use the CD-ROM standard are cheaper than those that use the CDplayer (called red book I think) standard, so that there are CD players that are based around a CD-ROM drive. On those, it might not play. (This is all 2nd hand info that I've read, since my player is from 89 and older to be a CD-ROM drive)

@open-g: Just for fun, I listened to Microsoft (R) Word once. All data tracks sound somewhat alike.

Posted by: davido ()
Date: September 6, 2005 14:32

Copy controls don't work when you copy a cd using
a free standing HHB burner, plugged into your
stereo system. You can then re-copy/ convert
on your computer system.

Free standing HHB burners also copy in real time
without any digi noise or other technical flaws.
You can copy analogue, optical or coaxial from
your receiver, or player. You can also use it
to record your own demo discs if you like
making live music.

I own a "HHB Copy It CDR 830 Recorder" a few years
ago and have found it to be indispensible for most
all of my recording needs.

Date: September 6, 2005 16:02

I feel relieved now.
It was easy to grab my original CD with CDEX (freeware).
You can choose any format and resolution.
The CD DataBase querry tho, got one funny result:
Track No.12 is namend: Laughin' Early Died
haha

@billwebster, Just for fun, I listened to Microsoft (R) Word once. All data tracks sound somewhat alike.

Yeah they sure do, and I can really do without these kind of bonus tracks

btw, what a shitty copy protection. why do they even bother.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-06 16:04 by open-g.

Date: September 6, 2005 17:50

The new discs have no form of copy control on them. Copy-protected cds are not designed as you described. They are designed to not be easy to copy, but will play in any cd player, unless there is some weird euro/non-us format that inhibits this. Copy-protected cds (Aha Shake Heartbreak - Kings of Leon comes to mind) are cds that dont allow you to rip the music without installing its on private liscense and other limiting factors. There's always a way around this, especially for us PC users.

CD-ROMs are players too
Posted by: BikeDude ()
Date: September 6, 2005 21:26

billwebster Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> @drake: copy-protected CDs are designed to not
> play properly in CD-ROM drives. The CD-ROM drive
> uses a different standard than CD-players and

No, I'm pretty sure both drives adhere to red book. (CD-ROMs adds support for other books though)

What CD-ROM drives do differently is that they actually care about the error correction bits. A pure CD audio drive won't bother AFAIK, so the trick is that some copyprotection schemes will ruin the error correction bits and confuse the CD-ROM a lot. (if I understand this correctly -- I don't own any protected CDs to see for myself)

Philips own the CD trademark, and do not consider protected discs to be CDs at all. (http://theregister.co.uk/2002/01/18/philips_moves_to_put_poison/)

Now... What about that "outdated" car stereo? Well... They usually cost a bit more than regular CD drives and they need to withstand the odd bump in the road. Hence, I guess they check the error correction bits. Heck, they're probably built around CD-ROM drives in the first place! I think you'll also find CD-ROM drives in some of the more expensive CD players for hifi enthusiasts.

Rune

Date: September 7, 2005 00:46

Copy protection has NOTHING to do with playing the actual disc, it has to do with COPYING. Copy protected cds play just like all other cds in audio cd players. Now if you're trying to copy the tracks digitally, then you're outta luck. Thats why its called "copy-corrected" not "your-shitty-old-cd-player-cant-play-a-brand-new-factory-disc-so-your-using-a-really-bad-excuse-to-not-buy-the-disc"

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: September 7, 2005 00:51

I think you are not quite right there drake! There is a lot of problems with CD with copy protection that don't play on several CD players. There is even a notice on the back of the cd cover that says that it mightn't play on some car cd players.
There is definitley a problem that some copy protected CDs don't play on some CD players, there are lots of articles about it actually.

Belgrade-Bucharest-Budapest-Brno

Posted by: maurizio ()
Date: September 7, 2005 01:05

italy
got my copy, played it with my stereo, my car stereo, my pc (win xp) with wmp, got it copied and byrnt thru lossless wma files and encoded into mp3 files for my pod.
about the copy burnt passing thru wma lossless files all i can say is that the difference with the original to be perceived depends on conditions of listening (that is quality of amplifier, cables, speakers, room, etc) so it is very fine with me

Date: September 7, 2005 01:08

all i'm saying is that if it doesnt play in a cd player (be it car, home stereo, dvd player, etc...) then you need to get new gear. the only time i've had difficulty playing discs was an old cd player from the early 90s. threw that thing out and bought a portable cd player for $30. =)

Posted by: rknuth ()
Date: September 7, 2005 01:14

> 1)There is no copy protection software so far that works as it's supposed to be

Sure, but it works good enough so that I can't play it on my home stereo. I have to make a copy to listen to it. Totally bu$$sh*t. I don't pay money for a product I can't use in it's original form. So I will bring it back!

Posted by: maurizio ()
Date: September 7, 2005 01:26

"So I will bring it back!"

that is the point. if it doesn't work you're more than entitled to get the money back

all i am saying is that this copy control shit doesn't even work the way they mean to, so...what is it for? just to annoy people like you that can't even play it on normal cd players...

it is absurd insanity!
you can't play the original thing
i can make of it as many copies as i want in any kind of format

good job big brains at emi's!

Posted by: lamemodem2 ()
Date: September 7, 2005 01:44

I don't know what everyone is saying here, but this is what I know:

I've bought two "copy protected" CDs this year. Neither one of them will play in my car's CD player. Which is where I listen to 90% of my music. I can rip them on my computer and burn a new CD that will play, but why should I have to do that?

I won't be buying A Bigger Bang since it has copy protection.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: September 7, 2005 01:48

Me I copy everything I buy (which isnt too often btw):
If you drop the fooker on the ground or so, its too fatal
if you havent secured it.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1693
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home