Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: OT: What Happened To Rock Music?
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 16, 2017 18:56

Regarding Sturgill Simpson...if that's considered 'Rock Music', you can count me out.
Not saying he's bad (well maybe I am), but he sounds more of the new wave shit kicking Country Rock that's infiltrated all of classic country music these days.
His lyrics might be more substantial, and his band cranks it up, but he began his career strictly playing Kentucky bluegrass and his roots are country.
I love bluegrass, and I love country, and I love rock, but when you mix them all together you usually end up with a diluted hodgepodge of aimless confusion.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: January 17, 2017 01:53

Don't know squat re Sturgill Simpson's history, but it was good to hear someone singing about contemporary this is the way of the world s*it.

I looked at this statement..."There are still new, young, eager, cutting edge artists that are dangerous and rebellious and generational, but they don't get much attention anymore, because the baby boomers refuse to broaden their horizon and prefer to listen geriatric acts only..." and went, oh man. It ain't about the baby boomers. My generation and many others is stuck in its own re what it grew up listening to.

Music today is, IMHO, about corporate rock/pop/hip hop/whatever and whatsoevers makin' money. It's what's being sold to every music genre. How else would you explain contemporary country radio? Sturgill Simpson will never be the next Bob Dylan, but I gotta bless 'em for sayin' something. They may be playin' the game, but, fluck, it's also playin' on the game. Maybe there's some real fluckin' meaning behind their words. Who knows?

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: January 17, 2017 02:03

Send It To me
The biggest failing with modern rock is that it used to be dangerous and rebellious and generational, and so attracted cutting edge artists, but is now used to sell things, doesn't offend anyone and is piped into elevators.

Well, Honky Tonk Woman and Sympathy for the Devil are piped into the waiting room at dentist offices.

There is lots of generational, dangerous music out there, (most of his hip hop, like it or not) but mainstream music outlets just play boomer music.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: January 17, 2017 08:45

little richard happened to it

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: January 17, 2017 19:34

hopkins
little richard happened to it

[www.youtube.com]

Looks like he borrowed the arrangement from NRBQ

[www.youtube.com]

...as Johnny Cash himself did in his later years.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: January 19, 2017 00:03

sure do love NRBQ; didn't know that, ty.
Joey would have done fine as a Stone; got a lotta respect for that band.thumbs up

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1749
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home