Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Opinions on the guests on Shine A Light album/film
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: December 14, 2016 20:31

What are people's opinions of the guests on the Shine A Light concerts from 2006? Particularly Jack White and Christina Aguilera, because I assume Buddy Guy is probably well regarded, unless I'm wrong. Personally I love them and think they bring their own charms to the songs, but I am also a big fan of the album when I know many aren't. So I'm just curious are the guests not liked around here, does that contribute to your dislike of the record? Or do you like them but just think its not a great live document? Or do you like it all?

Re: Opinions on the guests on Shine A Light album/film
Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: December 14, 2016 21:36

I like Jack White a lot and Christina is good at what she does, not my kind of music, but the Stones are better without them and without most guests. Very few of their guests have enhanced the song in my opinion, with some exceptions. Dave Matthews was the worst. As to Shine a Light, the presence of guests has little to do with why I do not like it, it is just not a good document, as you say.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: December 14, 2016 22:38

Have a huge amount of respect for White and his interpretation of the blues.

Elephant came out when I was 14 and was massive in the UK, it was the soundtrack to my summer that year.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 14, 2016 22:46

....no guests...... cast them from the stage and turn them all to pillars of stone

ROCKMAN

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: December 14, 2016 22:55

Rockman
....no guests...... cast them from the stage and turn them all to pillars of stone

But...but...but Buddy!!!

Date: December 14, 2016 23:12

okay Buddy gets redemption ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: December 14, 2016 23:46

Rockman
okay Buddy gets redemption ....

Ta. [Smooch!]

Date: December 14, 2016 23:50

X.. ta you toooooooooooooooo

ROCKMAN

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: December 15, 2016 00:17

Staccato editing equals headaches.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 15, 2016 00:32

Per Shine A Light:

I like Jack White (or used to), but not with the Stones.
I have no opinion of Cristina Aguilera other than to keep her away from the Stones.
Keep the Clintons away also.

Buddy Guy was the only highlight of entire movie.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: December 15, 2016 00:45

All the guests did a good job, but....I know it's just my personal preference but I like my Stones pure and unadulterated. I liked it better back in the days when they rarely or never allowed guests onstage.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Date: December 15, 2016 03:00

About the responses I assumed to see, although nice to see not everyone hated someone like Christina. Personally for me, I thought Jack White's out of tune sort of singing worked for the song and I'm now really used to how he does it. Very much the same with Christina. I'm far from any sort of fan of hers, but I thought they used her perfectly, giving her the opportunity to do her vocalizations she's known for, but make them work and actually use her to great effect. I really love that version of Live With Me, and it would be sacrilegious to say its my favorite live version, but it is one of them, at least of the official live versions released of that song.

I understand the divide between people. Those that don't like guests, which I get I just think they were particularly well used here, and by those that just don't like how the band was in that concert. Personally I think its a really cool raw rambleshackle, but fierce, show. I really like the mix and the guitar tone so I've always enjoyed it as a latter day performance. To me it has more bite than Flashpoint or No Security. And the guest performances are just bonuses. But I can understand those that just don't like a lot of it. Hence why I asked. I assumed I was probably the only one that loved this version of Live With Me particularly.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: December 15, 2016 03:17

I'm not a Christina fan but I thought she was pretty good on LWM! Loved Buddy Guy but his voice was loud!

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: December 15, 2016 03:51

I think Jack White is a joke. His unbluesey girly voice is comical. His guitar playing reminds me a second grader playing with a toy guitar. Keeping the blues alive? He's making a mockery of it.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: December 15, 2016 07:40

Only Buddy Guy did it for me. The others were a distraction.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 15, 2016 12:27

Bliss
Only Buddy Guy did it for me. The others were a distraction.

Yeah sth definitely happened during "Champagne & Reefer". thumbs up

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 15, 2016 13:24

RollingFreak
About the responses I assumed to see, although nice to see not everyone hated someone like Christina. Personally for me, I thought Jack White's out of tune sort of singing worked for the song and I'm now really used to how he does it. Very much the same with Christina. I'm far from any sort of fan of hers, but I thought they used her perfectly, giving her the opportunity to do her vocalizations she's known for, but make them work and actually use her to great effect. I really love that version of Live With Me, and it would be sacrilegious to say its my favorite live version, but it is one of them, at least of the official live versions released of that song.

I understand the divide between people. Those that don't like guests, which I get I just think they were particularly well used here, and by those that just don't like how the band was in that concert. Personally I think its a really cool raw rambleshackle, but fierce, show. I really like the mix and the guitar tone so I've always enjoyed it as a latter day performance. To me it has more bite than Flashpoint or No Security. And the guest performances are just bonuses. But I can understand those that just don't like a lot of it. Hence why I asked. I assumed I was probably the only one that loved this version of Live With Me particularly.
It is intresting to note for me that you picked out Flashpoint and No Security albums and i would take those as better because of there chops at that period of time including the vocals with No Security IMHO being even better performance wise than Flashpoint .

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: December 15, 2016 13:30

Jack White has released some truly great music, but also lots of noise. In this case his contribution to loving cup was good, but don't think that it added much to Shine a Light. Better without.

I am not familiar with Christina Aguilera's work. Shure the girl has some pipes, and she looks genuinely exited being on stage with the stones and singing LWM. Don't think she did a good job though. Too much high pitched screaming for my tastes. Even Mick seems not comfortable when dancing with her. Absolutely better without.

By the way, for the sake of curiosity, do you in the US pronounce Aguilera the English way - like Mick did - or as it should in Spanish?

Buddy Guy. At least his presence on stage was somehow legit. He sang and played great but Champagne is definitely not a highlight of the album. Life wouldn't be worse if the song was not included in SAL's soundtrack.

SAL, the soundtrack. All and all, I always liked it a lot. She Was Hot, Line, Silver and Connection, Undercover and Shine a Light are up there with their best live stuff. The warhorses are very well performed. Even I'm Free is good. Unfortunately no Bigger Bang songs.

C

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: December 15, 2016 13:32

I love every second of SAL, guests including.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: December 15, 2016 13:48

I appreciate the music of Jack White. But his performance here isn't quite good.The only indispensable guest is Buddy Guy. Great song, great solo on a rather weak live album.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: December 15, 2016 14:10

My vote goes to Buddy and, BTW, I like a lot the whole album...

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 15, 2016 17:36

Horrible. And stupid.

Buddy Guy somehow managed to not stay in time. Otherwise it was a decent performance.

Date: December 15, 2016 18:27

DUPLICATE

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-16 16:54 by RollingFreak.

Date: December 15, 2016 18:32

TheGreek
It is intresting to note for me that you picked out Flashpoint and No Security albums and i would take those as better because of there chops at that period of time including the vocals with No Security IMHO being even better performance wise than Flashpoint .

The reason I pick those is they are the other latter era live album documents. I actually like them all, I just feel those two are mixed in a way thats a bit more sterile. A bit slicker. I personally prefer the setlist to Shine A Light and I think the playing is a bit rougher and the mix has more of a bite to it. The guitars don't hit me on those other live albums like they do on SAL. Thought that was a nice touch. But I can understand that the other's are better because they are maybe less sloppy.

liddas
By the way, for the sake of curiosity, do you in the US pronounce Aguilera the English way - like Mick did - or as it should in Spanish?

It may be the correct way to pronounce her name but I have never heard anyone else but Mick say it that way. That is not how us in the US typically pronounce her name.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: December 16, 2016 12:00

Jack White has my full respect.

2 1 2 0

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: December 16, 2016 23:23

Said it before. Jack White is a joke. SAL isn't a good concert movie by Stones' standards.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-16 23:24 by audun-eg.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: December 17, 2016 00:26

Jack White...when I first heard he was a guest I looked forward to hearing/seeing him with the Stones. I am a fan of alot of his stuff (some of it is out-there) I had caught a show of the Whote Stripes at SXSW years ago, before they were big in a bar's parking lot in Austin...they were incredible.

When I learned the song was Loving Cup I was even more interested in hearing/seeing his guest spot. One of my favorite deep cuts of all time (and the Stones have so many)

Sadly it fell pretty flat...I do think rhst part of it is due to how dofferent the song sojnds live...meaning it took so many decades for them to give jt a go live that the initia excitement of hearing t quickly pales whrn compared to the origional studio recording (and truth be told, the "drunk" version is so much better for the guitar weaving)

Felt the same about Moonlight Mile, Sway, CYHMK, & Monkey Man...will always prefer the studio cut over hearing it love again.

Christina...well she can sing, didn't do a bad job at all, but I could've lived with out it.

Buddy Guy, seeinf Keith surrender his axe to him was uber cool...the song and his guest spot were great, I think, but he's a Blues legend and they have always shown great respect to Blues legends...

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 17, 2016 02:15

I like White. Some of his stuff is fascinating. He's got a quirky midwestern punk/metro/blues going that is experimental, yet rootsy. I was intrigued he was associated with SAL. Yes, I agree it fell flat. He seemed terrified, and his voice warbled in and out of tune, but not purposefuly. I am sure that was when he failed his audition with Mick.

Buddy also should have been much better than he was. He was out of time. Yet, they recovered it, and it turned out to be fun and racous.

However, SAL isin't a great movie. Seems forced and they seem tired. And at the same time it is too glitzie, contrived, and rehearsed. Mick and Scorcese worked to hard to make an event while losing the plot of just making a solid concert film.

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: December 17, 2016 08:55

Nobody mentioned the appearance by Bill Clinton.winking smiley

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: December 17, 2016 09:13

I like Buddy Guy and Jack White, but Christina Aguilera does not belong on stage with the Stones. A classic case of randy old goat Jagger getting it wrong. However, she didn't do a terrible job though, unlike Gaga who was hilariously bad.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1635
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home