Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Any Reviews on possible Christmas Books: Altamont (by Josh slevin) and All the Songs
Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: December 15, 2016 17:27

Well if money is no object I recommend Ethan Russell's incredible photographic history of the Stones 1969 U.S. Tour.

[www.letitbleedbook.com]

You can get the regular shorter mass market version of the book from Amazon for cheap money ( $12 used).

[www.amazon.com]

I have both the less expensive mass market version and the very expensive "standard" edition, sold on Russell's website, and the expensive edition has content the mass market version does not have and is a beautiful book in construction and presentation. I go back to it often to check out the incredible photos he took and read the test about the tour especially the interviews.

Either way I recommend this book as the even the much less expensive mass market edition is a great book about the 1969 tour for any Stones fan.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-15 17:39 by oldschool.

Re: Any Reviews on possible Christmas Books: Altamont (by Josh slevin) and All the Songs
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 15, 2016 19:46

Didn't think much of All The Songs ...
The way it's bound craps me .... It's a spine-cracker

ROCKMAN

Date: December 16, 2017 23:25

I am rereading this book again and would still recommend it as a Christmas present for any Stones fan. Personally I give it 5 stars as it is a fun read.

I was checking out the reviews on Amazon and Stanley Booth's is back up.

I post this for the benefit of Swiss as she seemed interested in my paraphrasing him last year.

This is crap written by a jerk who wasn't at Altamont -- where I was behind Keith's amp. Selvin knows nothing about this event.

[www.amazon.com]

Again please don't shoot the messenger as I really like this book and recommend it to any Stones fan.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-16 23:26 by oldschool.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: December 16, 2017 23:44

oldschool
slakka

Just finished Selvin's book and found it very enjoyable. Gave excellent background on all the major players and the lead up to the concert.

Interesting Booth gave it a 1 star review on Amazon saying it was crap but his review disappeared shortly after

Dang!! Thats the review I was waiting for!!

Not much of a review by Booth as he just said the book was crap and that he was actually at Altamont standing behind Keef's amp while Selvin wasn't..no reason given as to why he felt it was crap.

Maybe the review was pulled by Amazon because it was not actually Booth who
wrote the review?

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: December 17, 2017 01:00

Sounds like a bit of professional jealousy on the part of Booth. That or something personal. Just reading between the lines. He could be critical of the book without resorting to calling him a "jerk." And why didn't he give reasons for the poor quality of the book, or cite evidence to refute Selvin? No one has mentioned this, but Joel Selvin is, or was (don't know if he is still in the business), the well respected rock critic for the San Francisco Chronicle, the long time daily paper of the city.

plexi

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-17 01:05 by timbernardis.

Date: December 17, 2017 01:05

swimtothemoon
oldschool
slakka

Just finished Selvin's book and found it very enjoyable. Gave excellent background on all the major players and the lead up to the concert.

Interesting Booth gave it a 1 star review on Amazon saying it was crap but his review disappeared shortly after

Dang!! Thats the review I was waiting for!!

Not much of a review by Booth as he just said the book was crap and that he was actually at Altamont standing behind Keef's amp while Selvin wasn't..no reason given as to why he felt it was crap.

Maybe the review was pulled by Amazon because it was not actually Booth who
wrote the review?

It is the same review as the one I read when the book first came out so I have no idea why it disappeared orginally and when you click on his name it goes to a alleged profile for Stanley Booth so that is all I know.

In any case the Selvin book is a great read IMHO.

As is Mr. Booth's classic book on the 1969 tour which I have read at least half dozen times and listened to on audio book. I bought a first edition hard cover copy and would love the have Stanley sign it someday.

I can never get enough material about the 1969 U.S. tour.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-17 01:07 by oldschool.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2024
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home