Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Stones Books - And what are the best ones?
Date: November 23, 2016 11:47

We are all mega fans here, and most of us share similar vast collections. But I guess, at some point every one splinters off, and starts refining their own personal search. Like I see the Stones Vikings seem to specialize in older Vinyl labels. ( Speaking of: whatever happened to Vilhelm, Mickijaggeroo??) Others have incredible resources in photos.
What I love are Stones books. And I got to admit: just like with the boots, at some point I started to just file away new additions. they would be coming so fast, and so many of them were rehashes of the one before. Another endless catalog listing every Matrix number from Malaysia. One of those books will do; and even that I;m not sure why I need it. That is when I decided to try and edit my collection. E.g. actually read all the books. The various tales of "I knew Brian Jones, and I know who killed him.."
So I have been going through each and every book; slowly.
Also it just so happens that the one I am currently reading is Ethan Russell's "Let it Bleed". And just read the story, and posted to Swiss about her ongoing experiences in writing her own book on Altamont.

There are books, like the grey Dalton book; the one that has the songbook in the back; that are so fundamental to my early discoveries in Stones world, that to this day I use quotes from that book in everyday life. I have come to the realization that no more dry facts books are needed. We have sites, and we also have the Hoffmann books for facts and numbers. I liked when someone tried to marry that kind of book with editorials; Karnbach attempts this.
So far I have only made it through J Draper's "RS Revealed", E. Russell's book, Mark Heyward's "On Camera", and Roy Carr's "Illustrated Record". They all are good. The first two have glossy pics good ones. But it's the Roy Carr book that is one of the great ones IMO. All pics are glossy. But what I ike is that it is of it's time. It is a book that is live in the 70's. The story still vibrant. The section on boots has mystery. The Ted Newman Jones pull-out part is novel.
what do you guys think are the best books?

Re: Stones Books - And what are the best ones?
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 23, 2016 12:50

Chet Flippo's! Best book on the 75-81 years.

He was really intimate with Keef and as intimaite as one can possibily be with Mick = Keef offered Flippo some of his stash while Mick never did (read the book to get what I mean). winking smiley

Date: November 23, 2016 12:54

I like Tony Schanchez "Up and down with the Rolling Stones" and Bill Wyman's "Stone alone" best.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: November 23, 2016 15:36

Tony Sanchez - Up and Down with the Rolling Stones

Keith Richards - Life

Off the Record: In Their Own Words - Mark Paytress

Blown Away - A E Hotchner

Symphony for the Devil - Philip Norman

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: November 23, 2016 15:42

My favorite is still David Dalton's "Their first 25 years". Unfortunately I lost it during one of our moves sad smiley

And Bill Wyman's Stone Alone.

Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: November 23, 2016 17:23

I have a lot of 'em. But not now here at hand (working, hehehe)

But I haven't yet seen this on the list:

Nankering with the Rolling Stones: The Untold Story of the Early Days
(Amazon)

or the other edition: Phelge's Stones (Amazon)

Really enjoyed these ... grinning smiley

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: November 23, 2016 18:12

I loved the Bill German book. It maybe gets as close to what they were like as people, plus it's also about German himself as a stand-in for the Stones fan.
Also liked the Tony Sanchez book, even though it's probably all crap. That's the image they were projecting, so they can't really complain.
Keith's book was very enjoyable, have read it three times and reacted differently each time, from being entertained to being saddened at many parts and being delighted at other parts.

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: November 23, 2016 18:31

Wouldn't it be more interesting to hear which Stones books people here thought were the worst horrible untrue cash grabs?

Posted by: thomas guitar ()
Date: November 23, 2016 18:44

Very hard to say....so much fabulous books....

for me are the Keith Richards books Life and the Barbara Charone book.

and as a guitar player i like the Rolling Stones gear book....

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: November 23, 2016 18:57

Tony Sanchez book is a favourite, as is Chet Flippos one. Victor Bockris "Keith Richards" was my first and still favourite. I got it just as I was discovering the band and before the internet it really was a research tool also. That book taught me about the albums and history of the band. Additionally equal time was given to each era and I found that invaluable for the post Exile Stones history.

Nankering with the Stones highly recommended also.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: November 23, 2016 19:33

no one has mentioned Stanley Booth's book.

its maybe the best, surely one of the best.

[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: November 23, 2016 19:47

duke richardson
no one has mentioned Stanley Booth's book.

its maybe the best, surely one of the best.

[www.amazon.com]

The Stanley Booth book is also my favorite, though I read first (and also loved) the Dalton book.

There are so many now to consider, don't have time anymore to read all of them (though I'd like to).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-23 19:49 by nightskyman.

Posted by: Shantipole ()
Date: November 23, 2016 19:48

I have all of those mentioned so far but my favourite is still Journey Through America with the Rolling Stones by Robert Greenfield which chronicles the '72 tour. Great book.

Date: November 23, 2016 19:53

I love all the ones mentioned so far.

What about the green one from the 75 tour?
And "All the Rage" by Mac. It's not really a Stones book, but I always throw it in there with the rest.

What a made a big difference with me, is when I read the book. Like where it fell in my Stones- Arc.Certain books bring about very good memories. Maybe it wasn't the greatest book per se, but it played such an integral part in my discovery and research of the band.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: November 23, 2016 19:57

Depends..in the 70's Daltons and Carr's for sure.
Always liked Bill's Rolling with the Stones later on and the Genesis publications are just wonderful.
Ethan Russells Let it Bleed is great...and I like Jim Marshall's about the 72 tour a lot.
This is a rather small one and not one of those coffeetable monsters but including great pictures.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: November 23, 2016 19:57

Under Their Thumb
Let It Bleed
Up and Down With The Rolling Stones

Those are the best ones in my book (pun intended).
Never read Chet Flippo's book, but I'll get around to it eventually.
The Loog's two books are also worth a read.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: November 23, 2016 20:14

Christoph Maus worldwide discographies. I'm a sucker for reference books.

Scotty,
Irvine, CA

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: November 23, 2016 20:25

My 1st book about 100 years ago! And remember, you never forget your 1st. Wonder where my 1st is today?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-23 21:42 by 2000 LYFH.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: November 23, 2016 21:31

i've got it.

grinning smiley

Posted by: Moonshine ()
Date: November 23, 2016 22:39

Philip Norman's The Stones a great read, Stanley Booth's even better

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-23 22:42 by Moonshine.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: November 23, 2016 22:42

I like Rich Cohen's recent one, but I love Stanley Booth's True Adventures.

Rich Cohen writes better about the Stones than about Margot Robbie.

Posted by: latvianinexile ()
Date: November 24, 2016 00:17

2000 LYFH
My 1st book about 100 years ago! And remember, you never forget your 1st. Wonder where my 1st is today?

Same here. My first book. Tons of books thereafter.

Posted by: longlongwinter ()
Date: November 24, 2016 00:24

Stanley Booth- Dane with the Devil by far the best as he had great access AND is a very good writer. Chet Flippo is great too. Robert Greenfield's first one is ok.... Most of the rest are border line tabloid material,...

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: November 24, 2016 01:00

My vote goes to anything by Booth, and Greenfield's Journey Through America.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: November 24, 2016 01:03

Koen
My favorite is still David Dalton's "Their first 25 years". Unfortunately I lost it during one of our moves sad smiley

And Bill Wyman's Stone Alone.

Mine too + Tony Shanchez, Barbara Charone, Bockris and., maybe ‘Brian Jones: Who Killed Christopher Robin?. Greenfield and Booth are good but somewhat dated.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: November 24, 2016 01:28

longlongwinter
Stanley Booth- Dane with the Devil by far the best as he had great access AND is a very good writer. Chet Flippo is great too. Robert Greenfield's first one is ok.... Most of the rest are border line tabloid material,...

Kind of harsh concerning Bill...

Posted by: Shott ()
Date: November 24, 2016 02:12

Great thread!

The Tony Sanchez book still the most striking. German and Booth are good.

I also loved "first 25 years."

Posted by: MisterO ()
Date: November 24, 2016 03:03

2000 LYFH

My first book also!!!

We used to call it "The Anthology".

It also had music section in the back and thats how I learned how to play my first Stones song on guitar "No expectations" A E D

I also Love Bill Germans book "Under their Thumb"

Date: November 24, 2016 03:57

MisterO
2000 LYFH

My first book also!!!

It also had music section in the back and thats how I learned how to play my first Stones song on guitar "No expectations" A E D

Yes - that is the one! Thats the one I mean when I always talk about the 'grey' one by Dalton. God did I love that book. I went through 3 copies easily; they fell apart.

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: November 24, 2016 06:48

Palace Revolution 2000
MisterO
2000 LYFH

My first book also!!!

Yes - that is the one! Thats the one I mean when I always talk about the 'grey' one by Dalton. God did I love that book. I went through 3 copies easily; they fell apart.

My old favorite too. I'd love to flip through a copy again someday.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1691
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home