Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Sold in a market down in New Orleans
Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: August 30, 2005 21:19

Within the past year the Gulf Coast has endured Ivan, Dennis, and now Katrina. I live in Pensacola, about 3 hours from New Orleans. The New Orleans Superdome has been the site of legendary Rolling Stones concerts. In 1978 the Stones drew 80,000 and then in 1981 they broke the indoor attendance record with a crowd of 87,500. It would be great if the Stones would include New Orleans on their schedule and turn it into a benefit as they did in North Carolina in 1989 for Hurricane Hugo. 60 Minutes did an interview with the Stones in 94 from the French Quarter.....Ed Bradley described New Orleans as one of their favorite cities. Here's hoping for a New Orleans show.....the Stones fans would surely turn out for this in light of the devestation in New Orleans.

Re: Sold in a market down in New Orleans
Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: August 30, 2005 21:21

hmm yes that would be a good idea.

Posted by: harlito1969 ()
Date: August 30, 2005 21:22

March 11??? I hope they are able to make it. Looks like everybody over there has alot of work ahead of them. But I think this is something that the Stones will be up for and will come thru.

Posted by: crossfire ()
Date: August 30, 2005 21:29

Nice thought Shawn. Prayers go out to all those folks in the gulf coast area hit by this bitch.

Posted by: Stones89 ()
Date: August 30, 2005 21:37

It would be a great idea for the Stones to do a benefit concert for the hurricane victims. After all, they did that SarsStock back in July of '03 for Toronto so hopefully they'll help out in some fashion.

Date: August 30, 2005 21:53

I forgot about the Steel Wheels concert in 89....the Stones sold the Dome out in three hours. There is a connection between New Orleans and the Stones....I realize it is not Madison Square Garden or Wembley, but they have put on some legendary shows in New Orleans....and who could forget about the line in Brown Sugar.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: August 30, 2005 22:40

At this point, I'm wondering what will happen to the city itself. Just watching CNN and the devastation is incredible. From what I understand, the Superdome has sustained damage, with a couple of holes in the roof. Lots of looting going on now. Biloxi and Mobile look to be hit even harder.
If the Stones were to do a benefit show, perhaps a city close by like Baton Rouge would have to host the show.
Wonder what is going to happen to the Saints since the NFL is going to be starting soon and the Superdome may not be ready to play in, and many of the residents in NO maybe homeless now.
It seems these "once in a lifetime" disasters are occuring more frequently. From tsunami's in Asia to recent flooding in Europe to the seemingly endless stream of hurricanes hitting the US south.

Posted by: drake ()
Date: August 30, 2005 22:57

The storm may have passed but the problem is the water isnt receeding, its rising. No one knows just how much per hour/day but in some parts of the city it was mere inches of water, now its feet. Unless they find the leaks and plug em the water will continue to rise. Keep in mind that not only is the water rising but the sewers have to be in HORRENDOUS shape. I cant imagine going to the restrooms at the Superdome. Also keep in mind that all the animals (aligators, water mocosins, etc...) are now loose in the city, with no way of controlling them. People are axe'ing through their roofs/atticks in order to get into of the house for rescuers to get to them.

My prayers are with them. I hope they send every helicopter in the entire US to that city to lift people out of New Orleans. I still cant believe that people would wait out the storm and THEN try to leave in their cars...

Date: August 30, 2005 23:19

I really thought Camille taught everyone a valuable lesson in 1969. I remember the Hurricane parties that were going on in Gulfport and Biloxi in August of 69. During Ivan and Dennis we left for Jacksonville. Believe me, I had no fun yesterday and I was three hours east of New Orleans. The Stones opened the 75 tour in Baton Rouge....maybe they could revisit the area one more time.

Posted by: harlito1969 ()
Date: August 30, 2005 23:19

I think the STones have a connection with the South in general. I think all of them have loved touring here (except Brian). Even Mick said the best food is in the South and my dented scale can vouch for that!
Keef's not gonna let 'em down!

Date: August 30, 2005 23:23

I was in the 7th grade during the 72 tour, but believe me no one in the Pensacola / Mobile area could believe the Rolling Stones were coming to Mobile, Alabama. It was a legendary show that people in Mobile still talk about. The town rolled out the red carpet and presented the keys of the city to the Stones.

Posted by: Fredluvzstones ()
Date: August 30, 2005 23:27

It is such a disaster down there! Our hearts go out to all of those storm victims. It is unbeliveable. I know they will be needing all the help they can get for quite a long time to come with this one. The Stones can generate a lot of money with a benefit show. I have a feeling it won't be able to happen in New Orleans. It is going to be a long Haul back to a normal life in that whole region. So, so terrible!
Fred Hardin
SAV/GA
Pleased to meet you........

Posted by: eric ()
Date: August 30, 2005 23:50

The GOV of New Orleans has just ordered and entire evacuation of New Orleans. Water could reach 30 feet downtown and last for weeks. Future of city unknown.

Posted by: G. the Cock ()
Date: August 30, 2005 23:53

God bless you all down there!!!!

Truth is stranger than fiction

stoned greetings
G. The Cock

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1959
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home