Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Scam or for REAL??
Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: August 30, 2016 21:11

I thought I should check in with my Stones friends here on IORR before I make another move! Here's my story: I entered a contest awhile ago," Who's The Greatest Rolling Stones Fan." It required that I describe why I feel I am one of their biggest fans. I wrote my piece, submitted it and basically forgot about it. Until yesterday. I received an email from POD SERVICES telling me I was one of the winners. Right away I thought to myself, NO WAY! The list of prizes would boggle your brain..everything from front row tickets, to lithographs, back stage passes etc. They said that I had to provide a proper ID and that they would want me to provide a video of some sort after I received my prizes so they could place them on their social media sites.
I asked that someone call me to answer a few questions. No call yet. I just want to know if anyone here entered a contest like this, have you been notified, and what do you think about this? Is it for real or just a big scam?? Now I will say, the email telling me I'd won came with an attachment showing the certificate of authenticity signed by Mick Jagger and a guitar in a gig bag with an amp in a box. The box read THE ROLLING STONES. Your input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Scam or for REAL??
Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: August 30, 2016 21:38

Based on your post I would recommend:
1. Do a search to see who owns the email address that you received your notice from. It's been so long since I've had to do this for work that I can't remember the sites I used to use but I'm sure there are some sites you can find.
2. Even if you can't get them to call you back (which would make me a bit suspicious as I'm sure it is you), ask to be directed to their social media sites.

Assuming that they convince you that they're legit, Over all, I'd say, play along. What I mean by that is, agree to everything but when sending ID/Info, delete all personal information. Like if the ID you're sending is a drivers license, make sure to delete/remove/cover all the personal information except your name. No Numbers, no address. If they claim to need your address, tell them they don't need it as you're going to have the prizes sent to a P.O. Box.

Unfortunately, some legitimate contests will require tax information as the prizes are sometimes considered taxable income.

I hope that this turns out to be real for you! Also, if there's anything in the prize pack that you end up not wanting, just let me know... I'll send you my office PO box for you to send it to!

C'mon IORR, I know that more people than just me have advice for one of our better members who might have just won the contest of her life but still needs some help from us before claiming it!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Side note: when I did a search for POD SERVICES, all that came back were storage units.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: August 30, 2016 21:45

If you decide to play along ...

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 30, 2016 21:46

mickschix
They said that I had to provide a proper ID

Why don't you ask them to provide a proper ID... a phone number, a physical address?

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: August 30, 2016 21:53

First thing to do is hover over the link , do not click it and you will see the links location display in the browser.does it contain misspelling of a legit website? online scammers use attachments to trick you into installing malicious code.the file names should sound legit or make you curious to open them . also look to see if the message was sent to you or if you were copied on an e-mail sent to someone you don't know .if multpile people were sent the message do you know any of them and/or does the list make sense? just a couple of things to look for also the old adage of if it looks to good to be true be very wary .JUST BE CAREFUL and i dont mean to be all preachy .

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: August 30, 2016 22:10

There was another winner of that contest who was surprised by a visit from the Rolling Stones, when he was visiting the Exhibisionism in London

[www.rollingstone.com]

Date: August 30, 2016 22:18

Lien
There was another winner of that contest who was surprised by a visit from the Rolling Stones, when he was visiting the Exhibisionism in London

[www.rollingstone.com]

Is it that same legitimate contest?

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 30, 2016 22:23

What a coincident I just received this mail (from my IORR mail)
"[email protected]"

I think it's fake.................

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-30 22:24 by NICOS.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: August 30, 2016 22:23

Lien

[www.rollingstone.com]

and he was an actor and that was completely and embarassingly staged

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: August 30, 2016 22:26

mickschix
I thought I should check in with my Stones friends here on IORR before I make another move! Here's my story: I entered a contest awhile ago," Who's The Greatest Rolling Stones Fan." It required that I describe why I feel I am one of their biggest fans. I wrote my piece, submitted it and basically forgot about it. Until yesterday. I received an email from POD SERVICES telling me I was one of the winners. Right away I thought to myself, NO WAY! The list of prizes would boggle your brain..everything from front row tickets, to lithographs, back stage passes etc. They said that I had to provide a proper ID and that they would want me to provide a video of some sort after I received my prizes so they could place them on their social media sites.
I asked that someone call me to answer a few questions. No call yet. I just want to know if anyone here entered a contest like this, have you been notified, and what do you think about this? Is it for real or just a big scam?? Now I will say, the email telling me I'd won came with an attachment showing the certificate of authenticity signed by Mick Jagger and a guitar in a gig bag with an amp in a box. The box read THE ROLLING STONES. Your input would be appreciated. Thanks!

How did you know about the contest? Do you have a link for it that can be posted here?

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 30, 2016 22:26

Mr DJA seems to have covered it.
Does Pod Services have any relation to whomever you submitted your entry to?

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: August 30, 2016 22:27

schillid
Lien

[www.rollingstone.com]

Don't know if it's the same..here is the link [mobile.twitter.com]

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: August 30, 2016 22:33

Lien
schillid
Lien

[www.rollingstone.com]

Don't know if it's the same..here is the link [mobile.twitter.com]
That was always a con, they were looking for a male aged 20-50 and it was posted by an acting agency. The winner was an actor.
More here:
[www.iorr.org]
[iorr.org]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: jambay ()
Date: August 30, 2016 23:44

Even if it is a real contest with real prizes... it is scam to get your information to market to you.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: August 30, 2016 23:52

Just be careful and don't provide any banking info or CC numbers for "shipping and handling".

For your sake, I hope its real!

Date: August 31, 2016 01:01

Thanks everyone. I provided no personal info other than my address & phone..no license numbers etc. The contests that were shown here are not like mine and I am trying to research POD SERVICES. If only I had made a copy of my entry...I can't remember WHO was unning that contest but it did seem like a REAL contest. Cristiano, I wish I had a link to show here.I don't know if I entered the contest from the EXHIBITIONISM website but I don't think so. I entered AFTER that contest winner was announced.
Thanks Mr DJA!! I will play along! I hope to get a reply to my email that I sent with a few questions. I'll let you all know what happens but I am feeling pretty duped right now....hope I can find out the source!!! It will be UGLY if I find them! Again, thanks one and all!

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: August 31, 2016 01:10

mickschix
Thanks everyone. I provided no personal info other than my address & phone..no license numbers etc. The contests that were shown here are not like mine and I am trying to research POD SERVICES. If only I had made a copy of my entry...I can't remember WHO was unning that contest but it did seem like a REAL contest. Cristiano, I wish I had a link to show here.I don't know if I entered the contest from the EXHIBITIONISM website but I don't think so. I entered AFTER that contest winner was announced.
Thanks Mr DJA!! I will play along! I hope to get a reply to my email that I sent with a few questions. I'll let you all know what happens but I am feeling pretty duped right now....hope I can find out the source!!! It will be UGLY if I find them! Again, thanks one and all!

(I agree with all of the other posters, and I'll add...)

Well done you for being so cautious and careful. Being told you've won a serious competition is the sort of thing that would make you lower your guard. You didn't, and you're being careful and checking and seeking advice.

Whichever way it turns out.... Well Done!

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: August 31, 2016 03:25

_

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-31 03:32 by marianna.

Date: August 31, 2016 03:56

It was probably a good idea to be skeptical and cautious.

Reminds me of the time I was sitting at home looking out the window... then in flies a guy who's all dressed up like a Union Jack. And says I've won five pounds if I have his kind of detergent pack

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-31 04:19 by schillid.

Date: August 31, 2016 04:11

As a rule of thumb-
Never take laundry advice from a man if he doesn't smoke the same cigarettes as...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-31 04:12 by jambay.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 31, 2016 09:28

That's right jambay..... 'cause cant be a man .....

ROCKMAN

Date: August 31, 2016 11:29

grinning smiley

Date: August 31, 2016 22:32

was this real or a scam ?

... the preacher kept right on saying that all I had to do was send ten dollars to the church ... located somewhere in Los Angeles, California ... and next week they'd say my prayer on the radio and all my dreams would come true ...

Date: August 31, 2016 22:32

So I did

Date: September 1, 2016 13:42

The next week ,i got a prayer with a girl well, you know what kind of eyes she got So if you're down on your luck I know you all sympathize Find a girl with far away eyes And if you're downright disgusted And life ain't worth a dime Get a girl with far away eyes (Ronnie play some steel guitar )

Date: September 1, 2016 17:45

This is not helping me GREEK!!!! LOL!!! Shame on you! So, even though I was sent a PICTURE of the guitar that " I WON" and the certificate signed by Mick, this is STILL considered a SCAM?? Guess so! OK, so how do I scare the crap out of these scammers? I think they deserve to be punished! I am not THAT easily fooled, usually. This was pretty elaborate, trust me! POD SERVICES even has a phone/landline! Would anyone else fel the urge to GET THEM and if so, how would you go about it?cool smiley

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: September 1, 2016 20:42

mickschix
This is not helping me GREEK!!!! LOL!!! Shame on you! So, even though I was sent a PICTURE of the guitar that " I WON" and the certificate signed by Mick, this is STILL considered a SCAM?? Guess so! OK, so how do I scare the crap out of these scammers? I think they deserve to be punished! I am not THAT easily fooled, usually. This was pretty elaborate, trust me! POD SERVICES even has a phone/landline! Would anyone else fel the urge to GET THEM and if so, how would you go about it?cool smiley

If they ask for money to "process your claim to the prize", just keep giving them a bogus card number until they stop asking...........

If they phone you, pretend you're a bit deaf or stupid or both.....great fun.......

"It's windy today"........
"no, I think it's Thursday"
"So am I, let's go have a cup of tea............

Date: September 1, 2016 21:41

mickschix
I am sorry , i just got Far away eyes in my brain because of Schillid (and i really love the song )( and once i had the pleasure of the Glimmers performing this gem for us at Giants stadium 9/27/06) (what a thrill of a lifetime it was let me tell you )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-01 21:42 by TheGreek.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: September 1, 2016 22:01

mickschix

I hadn't seen where it was determined that this was a scam... I hate that for you. Since you are now asking for ideas how to mess with them... Here are a few of mine:

If they ever contact you by phone, ask them to hold for a moment and just put the phone down. Don't mute it, don't put them on hold, just leave it laying in a room of your house. Go back to it every now and then and apologize that it's taking you so long to find what your looking for. My record for keeping a telemarketer holding using this method is 25 minutes... All while I ate dinner and cleaned the kitchen.

If they contact you via email, request that they use a different email. You can either set up a secondary account OR, EVEN BETTER, contact your local police, chamber of commerce, better business bureau and give out THEIR email addresses. Possibly there is an internet fraud agency at a state or federal level that they could be referred to. The scammer won't be looking forward to hearing from any of them a second time.

The key is to waste as much of their time as possible until they finally leave you alone. If they claim to need an account number (for some reason) give them a number that is one digit shorter than a legit number. i.e. I think credit cards normally have 16 digits. Give them 15. Or 17. They want the three digit number off the back of the card? Give them 2.

Get creative & have some fun!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 1, 2016 22:20

It shouldn't take long to figure out whether it's a scam or not. Use common sense. Google it. Ask friends. And if it is a scam - report it or leave it. Don't mess with these people. It won't do you any good.
Hopefully you haven't shared any banking information with them. If you have - contact your bank immediately.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1442
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home