Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Track Talk: You Don’t Have To Mean It
Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: July 19, 2016 18:23

Have always loved this cracking Keith gem. Bridges for me is an album that's held up incredibly well; the dark atmosphere, some choice lyrics, and the variety of styles. An album with Anybody Seen my Baby (crap live but love the sultry studio version and that killer video), Saint of Me (Billy Preston, great video, good lyric
; a fave!), Already Over Me, Gunface, and of course Keith's How Can I Stop and You Don't Have To Mean it - some wonderful tracks on this album.

I'm still a big admirer of the last 3 albums and do feel there's plenty of very worthy material and all three hold up well. ABB perhaps my favourite of the three, even now 11 years later I still put it on and though it's overlong, my own 12-track "A Better Bang" is a bloody fine album!

Posted by: Moonshine ()
Date: July 20, 2016 23:15

IrelandCalling4
Have always loved this cracking Keith gem. Bridges for me is an album that's held up incredibly well; the dark atmosphere, some choice lyrics, and the variety of styles. An album with Anybody Seen my Baby (crap live but love the sultry studio version and that killer video), Saint of Me (Billy Preston, great video, good lyric
; a fave!), Already Over Me, Gunface, and of course Keith's How Can I Stop and You Don't Have To Mean it - some wonderful tracks on this album.

I'm still a big admirer of the last 3 albums and do feel there's plenty of very worthy material and all three hold up well. ABB perhaps my favourite of the three, even now 11 years later I still put it on and though it's overlong, my own 12-track "A Better Bang" is a bloody fine album!

Totally agree

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: July 21, 2016 23:57

DandelionPowderman
Lovely song. However, the production - as with many B2B tracks - is a bit sterile.

Just love those horns and Keith's vocals. There are less prominent guitars and more straightforward drums than on other Stones reggae tracks here.

... which is another reason I like it, i.e. like that it wasn't done like Feel On Baby, as an example (a track i also love. But what I mean is that I don't want them to do the same old-same old necessarily)

Posted by: mgguy ()
Date: July 22, 2016 20:20

a nice version on 4flicks, as well.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: July 23, 2016 14:09

This is my favourite Stones song with a lead vocal by Keith Richards. It's also my 2nd favourite song from the B2B album, with "Too Tight" taking the top spot.

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: July 24, 2016 03:15

I love this song. Played it heavily when B2B came out and it is still a staple in all of my playlists.

Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: July 25, 2016 18:16

I have a very fond memory of watching Ronnie close up playing a nice reggae keyboard riff to start this tune at their Roseland show. My first & only time hearing Ronnie playing keyboard. Would love to hear Keiths piano playing.

I actually snuck into the Roseland show about 5 songs in. Seemed like a miracle at the time as you needed a letter, wristband & ticket to get in. All I had was a used ticked stub. More on that later if requested/interested!

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 28, 2016 04:20

Wikipedia claims Matt Clifford is playing piano and Hammond B-3 organ on this tune on the basis of the credit to the unlikely "Clinton Clifford." This seems odd since Matt was much more Mick's guy than Keith's and this tune came together in Ocho Rios during the initial Wingless Angels LP sessions in 1995/96.

I have an acquaintance who claims Rob Fraboni told him "Clinton Clifford" was Keith's joking credit for Bernie Worrell who plays on the track. It certainly isn't Bernie's classic style, but I do know Bernie was present at some of the sessions. He and violinist Lili Haydn are not credited for their work (allegedly that's Lili playing on "Anyway You Look At It." ) . Apparently "Clinton Clifford" was Keith-speak for George Clinton's keyboard player or, more specifically, George Clinton's Matt Clifford. If anyone knows otherwise, I would be curious.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1624
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home