Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: OT: John Lennon
Posted by: schillid ()
Date: October 10, 2020 18:29

Everyone gonna be in that band one day

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: October 10, 2020 18:43

Song "Ballad of John and Yoko" is true if not prophetic! Simply a great tune!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-10 18:50 by Chris Fountain.

Re: IM: John Lennon
Posted by: HonkyTonkJan ()
Date: October 11, 2020 00:05

ash
Completely agree about quoting the name of the scumbag who killed him. When I was in NY last year for the 2 NJ Stones gigs, I did the open-top bus tour, and was pissed off that they mentioned the killer's name, including his middle name, as if he was in some way connected to or equal to John. That's exactly what he wanted....

I prefer the Prime Minister of New Zealand's approach after the massacre in the mosques. She refused to name the killer and asked that others do the same. But to remember and respect the names of the victims if possible....

Lots of great John Lennon stuff on BBC4 last night. Probably still available on IPlayer...
marcovandereijk
It's 35 years ago today that Mark David Chapman put an end to the life of John Lennon.
The world has not become what John imagined. Still his words give encouragement to people
who imagine that a better world is possible.
Raise our glass to John today.

Any chance you could edit that twats name out (yeah ha ha Stones fans). Doesn't deserve to be remembered or even mentioned in connection with John Lennon who may not have been a great man but through his music gave millions of people little moments of joy and continues to do so.
Even if your not a fan, remember that the Stones might not have been able to kick the door down so effectively without a little help from their friends who held the door slightly ajar and passed them a tune they could let rip on as well as helping them get that Decca contract and being generally encouraging.
Is this destined for the Beatles vs Stones thread ?
I hope one day there can be a Beatles and Stones thread and the World will live as one. I love 'em both and we were better off with both in my opinion.

Posted by: KevinM ()
Date: October 11, 2020 00:25

Valeswood
KevinM
John Lennon - Just Because + Reprise

This song has as much soul & beauty as any solo song he's ever done (imho) & gets me every time.

I like this version even better than the original Lloyd Price vs., which I also love.

John Lennon - Be My Baby

John Lennon - Be My Baby (alt. vs.)

RIP Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Somewhere in heaven The Great Pearly Gates Band is practicing & welcoming their newest member, Eddie Van Halen.

John Lennon
George Harrison
Brian Jones
Ian Stewart (Stu)
Nicky Hopkins
Jim Morrison
Jimi Hendrix
Chris Squire
Keith Moon
John Bonham
Neil Peart
David Bowie
Bob Marley
Eddie Van Halen
Kurt Cobain

+ John Entwistle

How could I forget Thunderfingers! It was late...my excuse.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: October 11, 2020 00:34

"Beatles and Stones" absolutely correct!

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: October 11, 2020 03:58

Tom Petty
Jack Bruce
Ginger Baker
Duane Allman
Greg Allman
Greg Lake
Keith Emerson
Freddie Mercury
Lou Reed
Ric Ocasek
Michael Jackson
Prince
Roy Orbison
Elvis Presley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 11, 2020 04:18

Chuck Berry
Buddy Holly
Joe Strummer
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Ronnie Van Zandt
Lemmy

Posted by: mrjones ()
Date: October 12, 2020 03:03

johnny Winter

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: October 12, 2020 03:46

Alexis Korner
Rory Gallagher

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 12, 2020 06:08

schillid
Everyone gonna be in that band one day

Nah, that's why this list is reserved for the best of the best imo..
Several in the thread don't make the cut, starting with the two in the post directly before this one.

Date: October 12, 2020 06:40

KevinM

This song has as much soul & beauty as any solo song he's ever done (imho) & gets me every time.

I like this version even better than the original Lloyd Price vs., which I also love.

John Lennon - Be My Baby

RIP Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Somewhere in heaven The Great Pearly Gates Band is practicing & welcoming their newest member, Eddie Van Halen.

John Lennon
George Harrison
Brian Jones
Ian Stewart (Stu)
Nicky Hopkins
Jim Morrison
Jimi Hendrix
Chris Squire
John Entwistle (forgot him initially)
Keith Moon
John Bonham
Neil Peart
David Bowie
Bob Marley
Eddie Van Halen
Kurt Cobain

This is the band as of today, with 16 memebers, we're not trying to make it an orchestra. Though we might trade Kurt Cobain for Chuck Berry. HM to SRV & Ginger Baker/Jack Bruce etc.

Surprised nobody mentioned Jerry Garcia, John Wetton, Otis Redding, Sam Cooke, Fats Domino, Chubby Checker, Ray Charles, Buddy Guy, Johnny Lee Hooker, Howlin' Wolf, Lloyd Price, Syd Barrett or Peter Tork yet etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-12 06:41 by KevinM.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 12, 2020 07:13

KevinM
KevinM

John Lennon - Be My Baby

RIP Dr. Winston O'Boogie

John Lennon
George Harrison
Brian Jones
Ian Stewart (Stu)
Nicky Hopkins
Jim Morrison
Jimi Hendrix
Chris Squire
John Entwistle (forgot him initially)
Keith Moon
John Bonham
Neil Peart
David Bowie
Bob Marley
Eddie Van Halen
Kurt Cobain

This is the band as of today, with 16 memebers, we're not trying to make it an orchestra. Though we might trade Kurt Cobain for Chuck Berry. HM to SRV & Ginger Baker/Jack Bruce etc.

Surprised nobody mentioned Jerry Garcia, John Wetton, Otis Redding, Sam Cooke, Fats Domino, Chubby Checker, Ray Charles, Buddy Guy, Johnny Lee Hooker, Howlin' Wolf, Lloyd Price, Syd Barrett or Peter Tork yet etc.

Nah.. winking smiley
Also, Janis Joplin earned her spot decades ago.

Posted by: likecats ()
Date: October 12, 2020 07:59

KevinM

Chubby Checker and Buddy Guy are still alive.

Date: October 12, 2020 08:34

likecats
KevinM

Bo Diddley, Chubby Checker, Buddy Guy, The Isley Bros., The Temps & The Tops don't have much longer though.

HM to Carl Wilson, RIP.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-12 08:35 by KevinM.

Posted by: likecats ()
Date: October 12, 2020 09:50

KevinM
likecats
KevinM

Bo Diddley, Chubby Checker, Buddy Guy, The Isley Bros., The Temps & The Tops don't have much longer though.

HM to Carl Wilson, RIP.

You might be right about the Isley Brothers, Temptations, and the Four Tops. I think they each only have one original member left.
Bo Diddley died years ago.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 12, 2020 16:14

The new release "Gimme Some Truth" is real interesting. Sounds very different from the original and previously "remixed/remastered" versions. Some for the better, some for the worse. The only thing I can't understand is why they didn't include Borrowed Time and Mother; that's 2 of the most important Lennon songs. Otherwise, it's it's a great release. And the songs I find the originals to be better - I just get the LPs or CDs out of the shelf.

Re: IM: John Lennon
Posted by: kovach ()
Date: October 12, 2020 16:36

LeonidP
MisterDDDD
Just like with the Kennedy assasination and Sept.11th, I will always remember the exact moment when I learned of Lennon's assasination.

Howard Cosell broke it to me and most of the US first on Monday Night Football.
"Dead on Arrival"...

Same with me, I was writing a letter to my brother at the moment I heard it. He was away at college, and the game was on, and Howard Cosell broke the news, I recall that I noted it in my letter.

The murderer, btw, just had released some statement recently how he regrets it and feels he should never be let out of prison -- sort of a reverse psychological attempt to get out (or so it seems to me), hoping the parole board commission will see this as a sign of true sorrow and acceptance of self blame.

Similar story here, I went to bed as it was a school night, my parents were watching and woke me up to tell me. I still remember Cosell saying something like "Somehow this game just doesn't seem to mean anything anymore".

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: October 12, 2020 18:35

Full Episode
LENNONYC
American Masters PBS

Watched this the other night.
Well done!

[www.pbs.org]

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: October 12, 2020 23:52

Saw the American Masters LENNONYC and thoght they did a really good with it-- believe or not, even Yoko came off as being pretty sane. They did a nice job, PBS.

As far as the "NEW" Lennon release "Gimme Some Truth" goes, why why why why did they let Sean Lennon remix the thing ? I mean, if they felt they had to, how about someone with some experience and talent do it ? Did the material have to be remixed anyway ? Wasnt it released the way Lennon wanted it?

Also -- how much longer will the Lennon estate keep rehashing and re-releasing the same stuff over and over again ? Instead of going for the continual money grab, why not dig into the vaults and release the extra tracks from Double Fantasy ( producer Jack Douglas says there are some good tracks there, as well as some reworked Beatles songs ) or from Lennons other solo recordings.

Date: October 13, 2020 05:20

bob r
Saw the American Masters LENNONYC and thoght they did a really good with it-- believe or not, even Yoko came off as being pretty sane. They did a nice job, PBS.

As far as the "NEW" Lennon release "Gimme Some Truth" goes, why why why why did they let Sean Lennon remix the thing ? I mean, if they felt they had to, how about someone with some experience and talent do it ? Did the material have to be remixed anyway ? Wasnt it released the way Lennon wanted it?

Also -- how much longer will the Lennon estate keep rehashing and re-releasing the same stuff over and over again ? Instead of going for the continual money grab, why not dig into the vaults and release the extra tracks from Double Fantasy ( producer Jack Douglas says there are some good tracks there, as well as some reworked Beatles songs ) or from Lennons other solo recordings.

Agreed about the vaults & unreleased etc. Also on a real producer, not nepotism jr.

YT has had some great JL stuff/sessions etc. in recent years. I imagine much of it is unreleased, volumes of songs worth checking out.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: October 13, 2020 06:38

There is recent Sean interview in which he says he learned everything about studio effects and mixing from his mother. He also said she told him she produced the "Imagine" album (the original, not later remixes). She's the one that keeps issuing similar collections of the music.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: October 13, 2020 08:30

marianna
He also said she told him she produced the "Imagine" album (the original, not later remixes).

Nonsense.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: October 13, 2020 09:41

marianna
There is recent Sean interview in which he says he learned everything about studio effects and mixing from his mother. He also said she told him she produced the "Imagine" album (the original, not later remixes). She's the one that keeps issuing similar collections of the music.

A couple of years ago I heard that Yoko gave herself a writer credits for the song "Imagine"... and now she is saying she produced the album?

What was Phil Spector doing at those sessions? Making her tea?

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2043
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home