Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: zip code best tour since 78
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 18, 2015 05:52

The 1978 tour was one of the worst. Mostly daytime stadium shows, terrible opening song.

The 1981 tour was an extension of the 1975 tour. It was the last of the party tours. One of the best though.

The 1989 tour had the best setlist. 2000 Light Years From Home and One Hit To The Body and Play With Fire were worth it alone.

The 1997 tour sounded the best and had the B-Stage.

2015 was the retro tour. Very good but over-hyped, very disappointing setlist.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: January 6, 2016 02:51

Best tour since 78 or not, they banked a lot of money from Zip Code....Forbes ranked the top 30 top earning musicians 2015 and the Stones come in 11, taking in 57.5 million. Also on the list: The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Elton John, and Paul McCartney.

The Stones continue to be a top-earning act after a half-century together thanks to their zip code tour. Though Mick, Keith and friends only played 22 shows in our scoring period, the size of the stadiums they played allowed them to out earn Ed Sheeran who performed seven times as many dates.

[www.forbes.com]

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: January 7, 2016 02:09

I agree with BV, I LOVED No Security and Licks too! I also thought they were incredible with Mick Taylor in 2013...very different, great to see him back, BEST SWAY ever!
I happen to disagree with those who bash the 70's Tours! I loved '72 & '75! They were raw, explosive, great set lists.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: January 7, 2016 02:44

too much noodling in 72, too much shouting and barking from the singer in 75 and 78; the best US tours were 69 and 81.

i didn't see zipcode but i did see 50 and counting, i would say it was on par with 89.

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: January 7, 2016 06:01

Out of all the live albums (with the exception of the undeniable best "Get Yer Ya Ya's Out)...No Security live album finds the band at their best coming off a huge B2B tour...and staying on the road for the smaller arena tour (if 20 thousand fans a night is small for your band)...I have to say that album surprises me every time I listen to it.

The same could be said for STRIPPED coming of the huge Voodoo Lounge Tour and doing more intimate shows...

A good formula for the Stones.

Tattoo You Tour was my favorite because it was my first and the last tour (besides the European version in 1982) when the Stones were last the Stones and
doing it their way and answering to no one...other than the check from the cologne company which turned out wasn't the best band to sponsor for their brand...

PECMAN

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: January 7, 2016 06:06

1978 Tour was the worst?

Did you hear the live album from Texas?

The best I ever heard since the Exile Tour.

Pecman

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: January 7, 2016 06:12

I've seen at least 1 show on every US tour since and including '81.

Every time I go in thinking one of these times it won't be as good as the last time (and I was really thinking that on Zipcode after the Taylor reunion).

But they surprised me once again on Zipcode, had renewed energy and sounded fantastic!

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: January 7, 2016 06:24

ZIP Code Tour the best since '78? Said nobody except the band's lawyers, promoters, accountants and bankers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-13 12:14 by TornAndFried.

Date: January 13, 2016 12:08

Pecman
1978 Tour was the worst?

Did you hear the live album from Texas?

The best I ever heard since the Exile Tour.

Pecman

How many tours do you count between the two?

Posted by: everwest1 ()
Date: January 14, 2016 02:17

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: January 14, 2016 02:56

everwest1
The zipper tour was amazing. I was amazed.

Was I more amazed than all the other Stones tours I have seen since 1918? Not really. Was it the best? Not really, Was it amazing? It was very amazing. I was amazed!

Yeah, that 1918 tour was quite a show! I saw them in Flanders Fields. My only complaint was that everyone (with the exception of Keith) were wearing gas masks so it was hard to make out the lyrics. IMO that was the best tour since the famous jaunt of 1792.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-15 20:31 by TornAndFried.

Date: January 14, 2016 03:14

TornAndFried
everwest1

Was I more amazed than all the other Stones tours I have seen since 1918? Not really. Was it the best? Not really, Was it amazing? It was very amazing. I was amazed! [/url]

Yeah, that 1918 tour was quite a show! I saw them in Flanders Fields. My only complaint was that everyone - with the exception of Keith- were wearing gas masks so it was hard to make out the words. Best tour since the famous jaunt of 1792.
Yeah, but the gas masks kind of gave it a unique look and feel, esp when they played Jumpin jack Flash, it was a

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: January 14, 2016 06:15

People forget how important Steel Wheels was. Bill was still with the band, and although we view them as "warhorses" today, back then, it was amazing to hear the Stones play songs like "Sympathy for the Devil", "Pain it Black", "Ruby Tuesday". Never thought I would hear them live.

Date: January 14, 2016 07:21

drbryant
People forget how important Steel Wheels was. Bill was still with the band, and although we view them as "warhorses" today, back then, it was amazing to hear the Stones play songs like "Sympathy for the Devil", "Pain it Black", "Ruby Tuesday". Never thought I would hear them live.

Agreed. Solid tour. The problem was they continued with the approach for the next 30 years.

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: January 15, 2016 04:25

I sadly did not get to see this tour but the set lists were a bit boring imho

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 15, 2016 05:17

I've seen the Stones only 3 times, STEEL WHEELS once and VOODOO LOUNGE twice. I loved the SW show, they were awesome, but they sounded better on the VL tour.

I wish I could've seen the BRIDGES and LICKS tours. But they haven't been back here since 1994 and never will so... live video releases will have to suffice (unfortunately even the bland THE BIGGEST BANG and borderline bad SHINE A LIGHT).

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: January 15, 2016 16:36

TornAndFried
everwest1

Was I more amazed than all the other Stones tours I have seen since 1918? Not really. Was it the best? Not really, Was it amazing? It was very amazing. I was amazed! [/url]

Yeah, that 1918 tour was quite a show! I saw them in Flanders Fields. My only complaint was that everyone - with the exception of Keith- were wearing gas masks so it was hard to make out the words. Best tour since the famous jaunt of 1792.

While I absolutely have loved them all..

1792 was IT!

Posted by: itsallovernow ()
Date: January 15, 2016 17:24

For me, '72 was the best, and I've seen many (but not all) since then. One word for the '72 tour....awesome!

Posted by: DeeGee ()
Date: January 15, 2016 17:51

mrfancyman
pepganzo
Best live Stone: 1997-1998
Zip code was far better than the 2012 and 2013 tours.

Waldbuhne Berlin 2014 was the BEST show since ages... :-)

Mr.Fancyman

agreed ! I was there - loved it winking smiley
I wonder - is there an iem mix of this show available?

Date: January 15, 2016 18:11

Kurt
TornAndFried
everwest1

While I absolutely have loved them all..

1792 was IT!

smileys with beer Kurt grinning smiley

Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: January 15, 2016 18:27

I really think, all Stones tours were the best, especially if could get one or more shows of 'em, hehehe... grinning smiley

Date: January 15, 2016 19:04

waterrats
I really think, all Stones tours were the best, especially if could get one or more shows of 'em, hehehe... grinning smiley
Seconded!! You are as correct as can be smiling smiley

And furthermore if one started going to Stones shows back in the day (some as far back as 1792) then that is/was the best way to never complian much about set lists. If one has been going to Stones shows forever, then one has quite happily heard all/most of the great Stones songs (the ones that were played live).

I understand along the way over the years there/may have been some lessor shows every once in a while, but never saw one, thank goodness for my good luck. I swear every single Stones show I have ever seen in person (30-40 of them) was amazing and well played. Mike was always singing great and being the best front man of all time and quite often damn funny, Keef and Ronnie always played great and were as cool as can be and Charlie was as Charlie as can be. They were always amazing.

I only saw one zipper show, but man o man, it was amazing. How they can make a huge stadium seem small, where people in the upper decks and way back in the balcony say silly things like "our seats were great"... when no they weren't, they were upper deck seats and way back in the balcony seats... but still, I hear a lot of people say their crappy seats were great and they really feel that way. It is amazing.

The Stones have perfected Colosseum rock shows.
Huge screens, great sound, big songs make it a great show even in the cheap seats. It is amazing.

I am so happy to have picked this band as my band.
They have never let me down... for over 200 years now... and still counting.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2382
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home