Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

IORR mentioned in front page story in Toronto Star
Posted by: glastuk ()
Date: August 12, 2005 17:24

Hi there,

Here is a story regarding the Q107 @#$%&-up that is on the front page of the Toronto Star today. IORR is mentioned!!

>>>

Q107 FANS CANT ALWAYS GET WHAT THEY WANT
Old 'live' Stones broadcast called bait and switch
Collectors peeved to hear tape of 2002 Toronto show

By BEN RAYNER
POP MUSIC CRITIC

Promises of a live Rolling Stones broadcast on Q107 timed to coincide with the band's gig at the Phoenix Concert Theatre on Wednesday night have earned the local classic rock station the ire of listeners worldwide who feel they were duped into tuning in to a three-year-old concert.

Although "The Mighty Q" never explicitly stated it would be airing a live feed from the hot-ticket club show, daylong promos touting "the Stones live on air" at 9:30 p.m. — the scheduled start time for the gig — were vague enough that many fans assumed Q107 would be plugging directly into the venue.

Observant Stones obsessives who dialed in, however, quickly noted that the "live" show they were hearing was, in fact, a recording of the band's show at the Palais Royale in August of 2002.

And, thanks to online streaming, the resulting disappointment extended well into far-flung time zones where faithful fans in places like the Netherlands and Finland were none too pleased to have roused themselves in the middle of the night for what they see as a bit of a bait-and-switch campaign.

"I heard the first song and thought, hey, this is the first song they played in 2002 at the Palais Royale. If the next song is `Sad, Sad, Sad,' then they must be playing a tape," fumed Mike Lindemann, 20, of York Region, who was particularly peeved at how on-air personality John Scholes led listeners to believe he was sitting in the club.

"The promo was fine. All they said for the promo was `Stones live in Toronto,' which it was, right?

"The thing that upset me was the way he handled it on the air, making it sound like it was live at the Phoenix. He went on the whole time acting like it was actually live from the Phoenix.

"He said things like: `Hold on, I've written down all the songs that they've played. Let me pass them back to you.' And there was crowd noise in the background. It's kind of pathetic."

Lindemann was not alone in registering his distaste with the station via email during the broadcast. A quick perusal of the forums on Rolling Stones fan sites such as "It's Only Rock `N' Roll" (http://www.iorr.org) reveals a minute-by-minute chronicle of mounting disappointment, as excitable posts of "3 min" and "HERE WE GO..." give way to almost instant recognition the show was canned.

An IORR member by the name of TooTight, in fact, has already observed at 9:30 (4:30 a.m. his time): "I think this is Palaise (sic) Royale, 2002." Another notes that even the crowd noise "sounds identical." It gets angrier from there and then the calls to berate Q107 begin.

Q's programming director, Blair Bartrem, said "40 or 50" letters awaited him when he came in yesterday morning — irate enough, he joked, that he was "going to have an intern start my car later today."

Bartrem maintained that Q107's intent was never to deceive, but does concede that the station could have been a little more specific in its programming intentions.

The Palais Royale recording, he said, was an "anonymous" soundboard bootleg left "in a brown envelope at reception" (given the security precautions at Rolling Stones shows, you may now commence speculation from whence that came) and of a quality too good not to air.

"I guess the way we positioned it on the air was `Celebrating this night at the Phoenix, we've got Stones live on air at 9:30.' People heard `live' and `Phoenix' and put the two together and thought `simulcasting,'" he said.

"In hindsight, one line would have saved all the problems: `While some are enjoying the show at the Phoenix, let's go back three years and enjoy what was going on.'"Since he was one of the lucky 1,100 people to attend the show, Bartrem said he can't speak to what Scholes said on air, but he is taking care to absolve the station's DJs "of any kind of responsibility in this thing" and accepts full blame for the furor.

As penance, he has volunteered to be morning host John Derringer's "Tool of the Day" today and will publicly proclaim the whole thing "totally my fault." He has sent a mea culpa email to everyone who wrote the station.

It's dubious whether this will appease some fans. A couple of hours after Bartrem emailed his apology yesterday, one IORR member had already ventured: "My hunch is that it will be a taped program of some apology that they did a couple of years ago."

Re: IORR mentioned in front page story in Toronto Star
Posted by: chippy ()
Date: August 12, 2005 17:27

hey TOO TIGHT,,can i get your autograph

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 12, 2005 17:33

Great that the little world of ours gets noticed!

NObody f..cks with IORR!

Hmm.. Nerherlands and Finland are the crowned hardcore European Stoneslands now..

And TooTough, may I have your autograph? smiling smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: August 12, 2005 17:39

congratulations, Thomas! You are in the news!

Belgrade-Bucharest-Budapest-Brno

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: August 12, 2005 18:23

Bigtime. Too Tough called it!

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: August 12, 2005 18:37

Too Tough is now a celebrity! Maybe free tickets are on the way!

Date: August 12, 2005 18:49

you can't buy that kind of publicity!

Posted by: davido ()
Date: August 12, 2005 21:44

Good for you guys!
Q-107 deserved it.
However, in all fairness,
they've got some good dj's
there, for example Kim Mitchell,
who used to play guitar with
his band Max Webster, a
biiiiiig Canuck favourite.
I'd hate to see them get
slammed too, as everyone
quite rightly disses
the Q.

I hope this sets a precedent
coz they aren't the first or
quite possibly the last to
try to pull a scam like
this. A Buffalo station
tried it recently too,
with a suggested live
1975 show, and there
have certainly been
lots others over
the years.

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: August 12, 2005 21:53

Funny how I was the only guy from Holland who said he'd get up at 3:00 AM for the show. Now I get mentioned in allot of messages! Haha!

But seriously, I'm gonna say it again, the guy said "we're going live with the Stones at the Phoenix". It's what he said! They can't talk their way out of it by saying they just said they were goint to air Stones from Toronto, because they didn't.

They shouldn't have used the word "live" at all, because they didn't go live, it was a soundboard recording from 3 years ago.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 12, 2005 21:57

Hey cool - I got quoted on that last line!

Posted by: bv ()
Date: August 12, 2005 22:37

Strange thing I talk to so many locals in Toronto who say they were listening to the Phoenix club live show on radio Q107 on Wednesday. Then I ask if they played "Don't Stop" and sure they did. I feel bad when I have to tell them it was an old tape from Palais Royale 2002. But it's really Q107 who are the bad guys. You can't really lie to people. People say they were surprised there were no new songs. And that they did "I Can't Turn You Loose" like on the previous tour. So Q107 are misleading people, making people think the Stones don't play any new material, which of course is dead wrong.

Bjornulf

Posted by: drake ()
Date: August 12, 2005 23:14

I'm just happy it got in the newspaper. I called the station that day to confirm whether it would be live from the show that night and they said yes. I was no accident. I'm glad everyone called their bluf.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 13, 2005 00:16

applauding all you sudden celebrities -
and in such a righteous cause too -
that's way cool!

but i didn't get any apology in response to my email to the Q107 louses, so they're still makin things up; and that line in the article insinuating that a Palais Royale boot is so rare it must have come direct from who-knows-where - right, we know: blame it on the Stones!
grr, grr (am i scary?)

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: August 13, 2005 00:57

HERE WE GO was my post so I'm famous too now - anyone want my autograph???

PS I'll take free tickets instead!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1359
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home