Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Keith & Jerry
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 12, 2015 01:13

I don't know why he said it, but yeah, the Stones have never been about noodling. I like Jerry okay, but only away from that crap band he fronted. While the Stones are The GREATEST Cover Band of All Time, the Dead have to qualify as The WORST Cover Band of All Time. I watched the Bob Weir doc on Netflix, and I can appreciate their place in history, and even like the guy individually, but man, their group vocals sound like somebody gargling buttermilk. And believe me, there are must as many 'musicians' who respect the Stones, as respect the Dead. I'll take Nicky Hopkins, Billy Preston, and Ian Stewart over anybody who ever played keyboards for the Dead.

Still, there's no reason for Keith to belittle them. His own playing has descended rapidly in the last decade. And to trash Sgt. Pepper, come on, just because Satanic Majesties is such a piece of crap.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 12, 2015 01:18

24FPS
I don't know why he said it, but yeah, the Stones have never been about noodling. I like Jerry okay, but only away from that crap band he fronted. While the Stones are The GREATEST Cover Band of All Time, the Dead have to qualify as The WORST Cover Band of All Time. I watched the Bob Weir doc on Netflix, and I can appreciate their place in history, and even like the guy individually, but man, their group vocals sound like somebody gargling buttermilk. And believe me, there are must as many 'musicians' who respect the Stones, as respect the Dead. I'll take Nicky Hopkins, Billy Preston, and Ian Stewart over anybody who ever played keyboards for the Dead.

Still, there's no reason for Keith to belittle them. His own playing has descended rapidly in the last decade. And to trash Sgt. Pepper, come on, just because Satanic Majesties is such a piece of crap.

i think that sums things up pretty well.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: September 12, 2015 01:41

24FPS

I don't get why they need to be compared to each other. I just have a problem with the mischaracterization of the Dead. Noodling?: only between songs. I wouldn't consider a 20 minute Playin In The Band from Europe '72 noodling. Noodling was only in between tuning. Worst cover band?: what songs?, Satisfaction? What about Morning Dew, Baby Blue, Cold Rain and Snow? Many others. Group vocals? Their vocals fit their hippie style perfectly. Garcia? Pure genius

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-12 02:15 by Maindefender.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: September 12, 2015 01:57

24FPS

Well Keith don't like the psychedelic albums, he don't like Satanic Majesties either, i would not take it as a personal attack on the Beatles

Date: September 12, 2015 02:08

keefriffhards
24FPS

Well Keith don't like the psychedelic albums, he don't like Satanic Majesties either, i would not take it as a personal attack on the Beatles

When asked to name the 5 greatest musical acts Keith's first answer was the Beatles.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: September 12, 2015 02:16

Maindefender
24FPS

I don't get why they need to be compared to each other. I just have a problem with the mischaracterization of the Dead. Noodling?: only between songs. I wouldn't consider a 20 minute Playin In The Band from Europe '72 noodling. Noodling was only in between tuning. Cover band?: what songs?, Satisfaction? What about Morning Dew, Baby Blue, Cold Rain and Snow? Many others. Group vocals? Their vocals fit their hippie style perfectly. Garcia? Pure genius

"Noodling" is just lazy shorthand for jammy music that goes on for a while and arrives nowhere for some listeners. The Dead were by no means "on" every night ... but, damn! when they WERE they were transcendent, in a much deeper and musically satisfying way than even The Stones, in my opinion.

I would add "Not Fade Away" and "Iko Iko" to your list of great cover songs.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 12, 2015 02:34

Koen
RipThisBone
Where can I find the quote by Keith about Jerry Lee Lewis?

No, it's about Jerry Hall.

I thought it was about Jerry Seinfeld?

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: September 12, 2015 07:19

LongBeachArena72
Maindefender
24FPS

I don't get why they need to be compared to each other. I just have a problem with the mischaracterization of the Dead. Noodling?: only between songs. I wouldn't consider a 20 minute Playin In The Band from Europe '72 noodling. Noodling was only in between tuning. Cover band?: what songs?, Satisfaction? What about Morning Dew, Baby Blue, Cold Rain and Snow? Many others. Group vocals? Their vocals fit their hippie style perfectly. Garcia? Pure genius

"Noodling" is just lazy shorthand for jammy music that goes on for a while and arrives nowhere for some listeners. The Dead were by no means "on" every night ... but, damn! when they WERE they were transcendent, in a much deeper and musically satisfying way than even The Stones, in my opinion.

I would add "Not Fade Away" and "Iko Iko" to your list of great cover songs.

I could easily come up with 20 more nice covers they did....

Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: September 12, 2015 16:04

Let's not forget Nicky Hopkins played & toured with the Jerry Garcia Band. Mick Taylor has sat in with the Dead, Bobby Keys has played with Kruetzman so there is some cross pollination there. I just think the two bands have so much in common. Both have band members who have devoted their life to music/guitar.Garcia & Richards share a love of artists from Hoagey Charmichael to Dylan not to mention generes of Blues, Country, Rock, Reggae & Motown. I love both bands so fire up a How Sweet it is to be loved by you from JGB or Just My Imagination from Hampton 81 & enjoy!

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: September 12, 2015 20:12

Maindefender
24FPS

I don't get why they need to be compared to each other. I just have a problem with the mischaracterization of the Dead. Noodling?: only between songs. I wouldn't consider a 20 minute Playin In The Band from Europe '72 noodling. Noodling was only in between tuning. Worst cover band?: what songs?, Satisfaction? What about Morning Dew, Baby Blue, Cold Rain and Snow? Many others. Group vocals? Their vocals fit their hippie style perfectly. Garcia? Pure genius

Could not agree more Maindefender and sides 5 and 6 of Europe 72 is some of the finest live music ever recorded (IMHO)! Yeah the Dead and Satanic Majesties are both crap, sure...

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: September 12, 2015 20:42

2000 LYFH
Maindefender
24FPS

Could not agree more Maindefender and sides 5 and 6 of Europe 72 is some of the finest live music ever recorded (IMHO)! Yeah the Dead and Satanic Majesties are both crap, sure...

Another post I will never understand. There is so many of music boards that make no sense.

Here it is one more time. Keith Richards doesn't like Satanic Majesties or the Dead so he considerers them crap. So what he said is true and a fact. They are crap to him.

You not thinking they are crap and basically arguing about it is pointless. Its still crap to him. What you basically did is say that its not crap to you so it can't really be considered crap by anyone including Richards. That makes no sense.

People who take music really seriously are people I will never understand. Did someone in this thread just say they are Glad that Keith and Elton John are friends again? Really? Why would anyone care?

I didn't give a crap when they were knocking each other and I don't give a crap that they are friends. Its only music..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-12 20:44 by stanlove.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 12, 2015 20:49

It is strange to hear Keith slagging other artists these days. Ok I understand how Jerry might be boring to Keith, he's entitled to his opinion. But the GD got it wrong? Their approach to music and improvisation is so different from the Stones approach and such a great contrast to the Stones way of doing live shows it just seems like Keith doesn't get or respect it. Perhaps he feels some of the great jazz improv groups are equally as boring? Just seems a bit harsh coming from a band that has basically taken the same greatest hits approach to it's live shows since 1989.

I wonder what Keith would consider the Dead might look and sound like if the got it right? Playing Trucking, Casey Jones and Touch of Grey every night? I agree with 2000 LYFH about Europe 72. I wonder if Keith has ever listened to side 5 and 6? Probably got to side 2 and never went any further. lol

I respect Bob Dylan's words about Jerry much more than this drivel from Keith. Dylan, a man who takes a similar song based approach to his music but is open minded and listening close enough to realize Jerry was a gift to this world. I will quote Dylan again because it is so good.

"There's no way to measure his greatness or magnitude as a person or as a player. I don't think eulogizing will do him justice. He was that great – much more than a superb musician with an uncanny ear and dexterity. He is the very spirit personified of whatever is muddy river country at its core and screams up into the spheres. He really had no equal.

To me he wasn't only a musician and friend, he was more like a big brother who taught and showed me more than he'll ever know. There are a lot of spaces and advances between the Carter family, Buddy Holly and, say, Ornette Coleman, a lot of universes, but he filled them all without being a member of any school. His playing was moody, awesome, sophisticated, hypnotic and subtle. There's no way to convey the loss. It just digs down really deep.

Date: September 12, 2015 20:53

Yes I think it is safe to say that Keith doesn't appreciate improvisational music - have you ever heard him talk about the jazz greats? to each his or her own. For myself, When I want to hear masterful jams with improvisation I find much more satisfaction in jazz than rock (I also hated the art rock bands of the 70s like Yes)

Date: September 12, 2015 22:29

Sometimes I think Keith's lack of appreciation for improvisational music come from a lack of ever mastering the solo and single line aspect of guitar playing. After Brian died and he was now singularly responsible for the rhythms and riffs of Stones music, he took it to heart and delivered so well and with such success that he never really broke free of it. Once MT was in the band he chose to let Taylor handle almost all the extended lead and solo duties and by the time Ronnie joined, he was so comfortable in his role as riff master and weaver that he had given up on ever really developing his lead style.

What we get when Keith tries to fill the role are short bursts of lead licks and rather disjointed phrases of fairly standard lines that are pretty far away from anything you could really considered improv. Sure they are emotionally satisfying and often fit the song well but it's clear that his vocabulary in this aspect of guitar playing is pretty limited.

The closest I've seen Keith come to working with the form are when he was playing jazz one time (I think with Charlie but can't quite remember). He was stretching and playing some cool jazz lead stuff but all his runs were really short and resembled his rock lead work with a jazz scales and motifs. A few of the blues jams with Ronnie were the next closest thing.

Improvisation playing usually involves a many bar, often melodic and continuous approach that Keith just never learned how to do, imo. I mean what is the longest continuous single note run you've ever heard Keith play? 8 bars? I tend to think that his disregard for the form comes from his understanding of his limitations more than any true understanding of the art and technique involved.

Don't get me wrong, Keith is one of the best at what he does and I love him dearly but what he doesn't do well is improvise, imo. I can imagine him hearing Jimi Hendrix back in the day and making some kind of subconscious (or conscious) decision that since he was never going to be able to do that nearly as well he'd better just concentrate on the things that put him on the top of the heap and leave that stuff to others. There is a bit of his feelings on the subject in this quote from him about Jimi:

"One guy can ruin an instrument. Jimi Hendrix, bless his heart – how I wish he was still around – almost inadvertently ruined guitar. Because he was the only cat who could do it like that. Everybody else just screwed it up, and thought wailing away (on the guitar) is the answer. But it ain't; you've got to be a Jimi to do that, you've got to be one of the special cats.”

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: September 12, 2015 23:38

Naturalust
It is strange to hear Keith slagging other artists these days. Ok I understand how Jerry might be boring to Keith, he's entitled to his opinion. But the GD got it wrong? Their approach to music and improvisation is so different from the Stones approach and such a great contrast to the Stones way of doing live shows it just seems like Keith doesn't get or respect it. Perhaps he feels some of the great jazz improv groups are equally as boring? Just seems a bit harsh coming from a band that has basically taken the same greatest hits approach to it's live shows since 1989.

I wonder what Keith would consider the Dead might look and sound like if the got it right? Playing Trucking, Casey Jones and Touch of Grey every night? I agree with 2000 LYFH about Europe 72. I wonder if Keith has ever listened to side 5 and 6? Probably got to side 2 and never went any further. lol

".

Amazing.

One more time. Keith Richards doesn't like the GDs music. So when asked he tells the truth that he doesn't like it and to him its crap. Why is this so hard to understand for so many.

Why would you argue about someone else thinking someone elses music is crap? It makes no sense. It doesn't matter if you like the Dead or not, Keith's quotes are about his taste in music. By the way I like the Dead but I am sure there are many others who think their music is crap. Its their musical tastes.He is not wrong, what he is saying is not drivel, its his tastes.

Why is this so damn hard for people who roam music boards to understand.

Date: September 13, 2015 00:16

stanlove
Naturalust

".

Amazing.

One more time. Keith Richards doesn't like the GDs music. So when asked he tells the truth that he doesn't like it and to him its crap. Why is this so hard to understand for so many.

Why would you argue about someone else thinking someone elses music is crap? It makes no sense. It doesn't matter if you like the Dead or not, Keith's quotes are about his taste in music. By the way I like the Dead but I am sure there are many others who think their music is crap. Its their musical tastes.He is not wrong, what he is saying is not drivel, its his tastes.

Why is this so damn hard for people who roam music boards to understand.

Well stanlove, if you read my post I say I think Keith is entitled to his opinion, that pretty obvious as you so firmly reiterate. The part that I was trying to address with a bit of speculation and thought is why Keith would say the GD got it wrong. That's implying that there even is a right or wrong in such things.

Your own post insinuates you may believe there is no right or wrong to musical approaches and opinions are going to vary, and each one is right. Perhaps I didn't clarify myself accurately enough for your understanding, but when Keith calls something "wrong" it insinuates a bit more than an opinion of whether of not he likes the music. Poor choice of words perhaps.

I don't like plenty of music but I've never called it wrong...you probably haven't either. Does that make more sense to you?

Posted by: everwest1 ()
Date: September 13, 2015 00:21

I wonder why they didnt ask him what he thought about Tom?

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: September 13, 2015 03:10

treaclefingers
Koen
RipThisBone
Where can I find the quote by Keith about Jerry Lee Lewis?

No, it's about Jerry Hall.

I thought it was about Jerry Seinfeld?

I wonder why they didnt ask him what he thought about Tom?

Okay, now I understand. This thread is about Simon & Garfunkel.>grinning smiley<

Grateful Dead thumbs downthumbs downthumbs down Jerry Garcia confused smiley

Date: September 13, 2015 03:45

>grinning smiley<grinning smileysmileys with beer
See you, me and Julio... Down by the schoolyard

Good-bye to Rosie, the Queen of Corona

Date: September 13, 2015 03:52

In a couple of days
they come and take me away
But the press let the story leak

And when the radical priest
Come to get me released
We was all on the cover of Newsweek

And I’m on my way
I don’t know where I’m going

I’m on my way
I’m taking my time
But I don’t know where

Good-bye to Rosie, the Queen of Corona

ps
good luck getting that song out of your head winking smiley

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1568
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home