Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: 'Dinosaur bands" in the 80s-why so hard?
Posted by: mikeeder ()
Date: September 22, 2015 18:21

Witness
WeLoveYou
mikeeder
Simple, music itself had basically peaked. This is all personal very subjective taste, but I say the peak of music started slowly in the late forties to early fifties, was there by 1955-6, and lasted through the early seventies-say 1971-72. I think the seventies had a lot good to great music but things slowly got more and more indulgent and "marketed" with disco and artists now taking themselves too seriously messing up a lot of things. By the eighties, music, again this is to my ears, was past it's prime.

The last records I could put in my top 500 let alone 100 came out 1980-81.For example, the last Stones record I really return to is Tattoo You, I dislike the tour of 1981-82, but the album is good...maybe because most of it is older. Though I saw them once so I could say I saw them, I "just say no" to the Vegas Stones live. However on vinyl I am a little more open. For example I think a few things on Wondering Spirit or Keith's solo records are OK. A couple scattered group recordings are too, but I can't get "into" them deeply like I can the best 1963-78 stuff. I just never play more then a few times because I would rather track down boots of old music or footage I still don't have. None of this is to piss of anybody, just I have roughly twenty artists I am pretty hard core about so I only focus on the periods I really enjoy.

To sum me up listening wise, I am now 39 and just enjoy so much of what went on during roughly the first 25 years of rock and roll. Years I missed, but have studied avidly since the age of 5. There's a handful of things that are OK since then, but nothing I "love".

The eighties simply marks when what I consider the best artists began to run out of ideas, or had already died. Even more strongly, the basic quality of sound just began to go backwards through the lie that is digital. All of this is subjective as hell, but it's just like rock and roll electric blues, country, folk, even gospel, were evolving, evolving, evolving, then suddenly took a right turn and got stupid. No offense to any new music lovers, I can dig that people have done solid roots music since then that is sincere, but it isn't new or fresh. I just happen to dig a certain era and time.

I feel exactly the same - everything you wrote could be about me. We're roughly the same age and I remember the 80s music just passing me by when I was in my teenage years. Luckily my parents had some great records by the 60s Stones, Hendrix, Joplin etc, so I listened to that and I was hooked. The Beatles followed. Totally not my era and yet this is what I gravitated towards.

I am old enough to remember a time when the Beatles had not released Love Me Do. Still I disagree about those peak dates. They seem to neglect the treasures, which are to be found among post-punk bands. And my impression is that the quoted posts do not acknowledge "the third wave" of rock, that punk signalled. Recently, there was a thread that brought attention to all times great albums, which a site apparently registered votes for. Among the first 100 albums, I saw albums, that I myself have bought and loved, of a newer date than 1980, from the Pixies (DOOLITTLE) and Slowdive (SOUVLAKI) or immensely liked My Bloody Valentine (LOVELESS). Apart from those lists, there are careers of Joy Division/ New Order, Birthday Party / Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Sonic Youth that are central to me (even if I far from have completed my listening to all of their product earlier, but which is my most promising aim to do). Besides, I don't feel opposition as such to synth bands, although it is not my prime music; why mention Duran Duran and not instead Human League, which I accidentally listen to something from tonight?

[But then I am also one to consider the two last ( maybe, latest) albums of the Rolling Stones to border on the semi-great, while I see the more forward-looking UNDERCOVER, not TATTOO YOU, as the last GREAT Stones album (so far?).]

Much later edit: "date" instead of misprint "fate".

Well Witness we simply have somewhat different tastes, or at least my tastes don't extend to that era or period. Sure naturally I respect some you mention far more than the obvious cheese pop of some of the top 40 of the era, it's still not a time period or style I care for or about.

My interests (to give you a brief example) lie in the Sun Records catalog, or the sixties mod bands, or early seventies funk. I might like a fairly finite period of music history, but dig very deep with continual personal rewards for it. A lot of what I like probably would bore you to tears, I'm cool with that.

I think people who like actual rock and roll would agree that popular top 40 has been on a slow continued decline since the early to mid seventies. I feel it hit bottom somewhere in the nineties. By the Britney Spears era I personally despise it. Today's acts like Taylor Swift, Miley Cyrus, Bieber, Robin Thicke, all that junk it makes me actually ill to hear it. I've heard some good local bands that aren't original but can at least rock, but that pop stuff is horrible.

As far as the Stones I could go deeply into why their later years aren't meaningful to me, but what good would it do other than piss you and others who enjoy the later stuff off? I wrote up why I don't like Undercover but ultimately decided to not include it here. To each his or her own. We simply disagree on it's merit.

We Love You glad we relate, a lot of people like us out there I am certain. Funny how we are closer in taste than some people who were around. Again to each their own.

Re: 'Dinosaur bands" in the 80s-why so hard?
Posted by: Witness ()
Date: September 22, 2015 19:25

mikeeder
Well Witness we simply have somewhat different tastes, or at least my tastes don't extend to that era or period. Sure naturally I respect some you mention far more than the obvious cheese pop of some of the top 40 of the era, it's still not a time period or style I care for or about.

[Only a short response, still at the office: ]

You may very well know the Pixies, mikeeder, which out of bands after your preferred period(s), I wonder might be a good candidate somehow to be among the nearest to some of the references you gave. For instance the following song from their album DOOLITTLE
[www.youtube.com]

Edit: I entered the quote

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-22 19:29 by Witness.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1937
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home