Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Concert opener: Your bet
Posted by: Undercover1 ()
Date: August 6, 2005 01:44

It'll be Start Me UP. Just like 89.

Bet on it

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: August 6, 2005 02:30

Don't wish to throw a spanner in the works here, but everyone's assuming the opener is going to be howling fast rocker. What if not ? Not fade away seemed to work pretty well - whenever it was they used that. I'm just trying to think of other possible songs in contention for that sort of opening scenario, can't say any spring to mind right now though. Hmmmmmm, ah'l keep thinkin' !!

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: August 6, 2005 03:10

Jumping jack was the opener for the 69 tour and the No security tour in 99.

Posted by: Debra ()
Date: August 6, 2005 03:26

Birdie told me it will be ROUGH JUSTICE or HAND OF FATE!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 6, 2005 03:30

jhat111 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> brown sugar hasn't been an opener since i've been
> seeing them since 81 tour..my bets are on BS and
> RJ..the new one is gutsy enough to be used in my
> opinion

Brown Sugar opened most of the stadium shows on the last tour

So, I doubt they'll use it this time around.

I think Paint It Black would be a good choice

Date: August 6, 2005 04:53

Thank you!!!!! And it wont be JJF or Statisfacton, God forbid SMU

My heart Says Paint it Black
My brain Says Honky Tonk WMN

My Imagination Says Undercover, Cloud, Rip this joint

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: August 6, 2005 18:55

I just saw on shidoobee's board where someone had a good thought: he said that it might be very useful for the Stones to open with a number like JJF, BS or SFM eg because it helps get THEM in the groove, gets them surefooted and anchored. And in turn in good shape to give US a hit show. Never thought of it like that.
Also saw some doomsday thoughts about the fact that so far only As Tears Go By is the only standout, rarity. Now that is cause for at least a mini alarm. from the reheraslas I still have not heard that they are practicing at least 2/3 of th new album. And what about all these obscure numbers? Come on: would be too cool.

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: August 6, 2005 19:10

lets see: IT WILL BE-----THE LAST TIME"

Posted by: Jimmie ()
Date: August 6, 2005 19:47

Yes.. the real obscure rarity songs is being left out this time I guess.. Too bad..
So far they have rehersed songs that they have been doing in concert since the 70´s.
Apart from one or two..

Posted by: stripped95 ()
Date: August 6, 2005 20:14

90% honky tonk woman

but like a rolling stones ??

Posted by: crossfire ()
Date: August 6, 2005 20:26

IMO opinion they should start out off tempo- "Waiting on a friend" because when they open that 1st show in Fenway there's going to be 50-60,000 friends waiting on them! Or even "Time is on my side"

Posted by: jumpinjackgreg ()
Date: August 6, 2005 20:54

I hope it's not HTW. It starts out too slow and doesn't have the "bang" and "hello we're here to kick your ass" as say JJF, SFM or even SMU. Rough Justice will be cool if they try it. U2 always opens their shows with new songs and people are just as excited for them. I don't think if the Stones open with a new one it will defeat the intense excitement level that people are used to. Same thing with Aerosmith. Rough Justic could work so well being the first song. But if they wait on that I'm rooting for JJF.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: August 6, 2005 21:37

Sympathy

Date: August 6, 2005 21:52

ISleptWithLisaFischer Wrote:
> Thank you!!!!! And it wont be JJF or Statisfacton,
> God forbid SMU

doubt it will be any of those. They tend to change the opener around from tour to tour
Satisfaction opened in 1997-98
JJF opened in 1999 and on some theatre shows on the last tour
SMU opened several shows on the last tour
>
> My heart Says Paint it Black
> My brain Says Honky Tonk WMN

quite possible. Hasnt been an opener since '76. Of all the songs youd expect to be a strong case for an opener its been left off the 'rotation' for longer than the others. (I'd love them to open with Sympathy but maybe they think its too long to use as an opener, even though the opening line is perfect for the occasion)
>
> My Imagination Says Undercover, Cloud, Rip this
> joint

I dont think theres a chance in hell of those 3
RTJ is too hard a song to start with because of the sudden way it begins. Plus hardly anyone knows it.
They dropped GOOOMC from the show for over 30 years as a song in its own right (apart from the medley in 75-76)...again I think its a hard song to pull off as an opener.
Undercover is too obscure for an opener and doesnt rock enough. Plus its a song that Mick tends to play guitar on. I cant see him strapping on a guitar for the first song.

Posted by: s-asla ()
Date: August 6, 2005 22:23

I've got a feeling that Paint it black will be the arena opener and 19th N B the stadium opener, HTW maybe the theatre opener.

Date: August 7, 2005 00:49

Debra has the inside track, boys.

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: August 7, 2005 00:53

jumpinjackgreg Wrote:
> U2 always
> opens their shows with new songs and people are
> just as excited for them.

To hell with what U2 does!

Date: August 7, 2005 02:00

s-asla Wrote:
> HTW
> maybe the theatre opener.

I see a slight flaw in this argument.....

Date: August 7, 2005 07:08

s-asla Wrote:
> I've got a feeling that Paint it black will be the
> arena opener and 19th N B the stadium opener, HTW
> maybe the theatre opener.

Oh man 19th Nervous would be @#$%& awsome...................

DId flip the switch ever open with undercover???

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: August 7, 2005 12:40

it would be cool if they did under my thumb - 81 style.. but they don't like repeating themselves so don't count on it. they'll want do do something new this tour.

i think brown sugar was a @#$%& up opener this tour. it could be ok but they didn't have much of a show to go along with it, which the case in most of the shows.

81(the balloons) was not really much, yet the killer riff of under my thumb made it still a fine opening.

then 89 where they had those flames which looked pretty cool.

then in 95 there was the cool drums solo of charlie's.

in 98 it was undoubtebly best, with satisfaction and the bang, which was awesome.

then on the licks tour it was pretty much walk up there and play brown sugar, street fighting man of start me up, which was a little less than we expected i guess. it's kind of hard for them to think of a good opener i guess cause us die-hards can think of some great song and then the "normal" audience(the people in the concerts that are not die hards, it's pretty hard to describe em) will not know the song and think of it as a lazy opener.

if they start with start me up again, which is the most predictibale and in my opinion also quite overrated song, it would be a pretty big mistake.

i suggest they do "oh no not you again"(quite funny) or one hit(to the body)..

Posted by: michielz ()
Date: August 8, 2005 00:32

I always thought Shattered,in an up tempo version, could be a great opener. I also loved SFM at the Arena shows during the licks tour. Could work well for the stadium shows also.

Date: August 8, 2005 00:48

I really think that they are going to keep the tradition of always using another one alive. It seems to be Sympathy's turn. That first line is perfect. Can you see Jagger coming out there going "Please allow me to introduce myself". I can't believe the Stones have never seen the showmanship of this. Paint it Black I could also imagine.
IMO NO WAY will it ever ever be "The Last Time" or "Mother's Little helper". Can you imagine what a loud dud it would put on the whole tour if Jagger comes out and goes "What a drag it is getting old" or "This could be the last time". No way ever!
Gimme Shelter builds too slow. Gazza is right about other tunes. UC has Jagger on guitar, GOOMC is not the Stones' fave tune (mine neither). I think either SFTD or maybe it will be Justice.

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: August 8, 2005 04:41

rough justice-bank on it my brothers!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 8, 2005 04:49

no,not RJ - maybe 10% of the audience will have heard this song. No way. How many times must I tell youse - it's HTW by a landslide....

Date: August 8, 2005 06:15

You may be right stonestod, I just think it would suck if you were. In 75 it always took thema couple uptempo songs to rekindle the original outcry after the anticlimx of HTW. There was the big roar, the lotus opens, the Stones are here and HTW just is too slow. Plus Jagger would be so pumped and adrenalized for the opening number; he was ready to rip, But HTW isn't the right type tune. So he oversang. Trying to generate movement. HTW is one of the grreat ones but midtempo.

Date: August 8, 2005 06:26

Holy balls.........cant you just imagine, its dark, ton of smoke and you see keith come out riffin paint it black, perfect tempo, perfect song, perfect lentgh, PERFECT OPENER.

I think Everyone would agree its going to be Either, Sympthy, Paint it black Or HTW

"mick's my wife, and we can't get divorced"

"Alright keith, gimmie some of them women"

"And now, dressed as mick jagga........mick jagga"

AIM- ohnonotyouagainn

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1180
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home