Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Brown Sugar vs. Honky Tonk Women
Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: July 31, 2015 06:48

I love them both but when I've got a good whisky and the headphones on, turned up up up....HTW is awesome!

Posted by: RockingLonestar ()
Date: July 31, 2015 10:17

Title5Take1
I really like Brown Sugar but have nonetheless thought it a tad overrated but absolutely love Honky Tonk Women. I put them together naturally, though, because after I tune my guitar to open-G I inevitably play those a lot because they're both in Open-G. And then I play Start Me Up. So I always play those three together.

It´s exactly the same with me. But mostly I start with Start Me Up. Try to play Jumpin Jack Flash not with capo at 4 th fret, but in G also. To me it even rocks harder than in B!

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: July 31, 2015 10:26

Both are absolutely excellent songs. Both must have sounded awesomely cool when they came out and for me they actually still do.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: July 31, 2015 11:33

vibrolux
Interesting thread. They're very different songs with very different tempos.

Brown Sugar is near perfect mid tempo rock and roll song. Killer guitar parts, on-the-edge lyrics and the instrumental part right before each verse is awesome. Add the sax break in the middle, end with "Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, Woo and you've got all the elements of a classic.

Honky Tonk Women has slower sensual groove right from Keith's first chords. I agree with the comment about a great opening lyric. The chorus is a great hook and sets up the verse that follows ("I laid a divorcee in New York City..." ) And Keith's simple solo fits this one perfectly.

What to they have in common? They are both great singalongs at concerts. They both tell a smarmy story in their lyrics and I love hearing them both every time I see the band.

I can do the compare and contrast analysis all day long, but they're both indispensible in my opinion.

thumbs up

Honky tonk was the first time i heard the stones.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: July 31, 2015 15:59

GasLightStreet
snorton
When BS comes on the radio I change the station. When HTW comes on the radio I turn it up.

Second copy cat in this thread. How thrilling.

It's more of a copy kitty really

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 31, 2015 17:54

Munichhilton
GasLightStreet
snorton
When BS comes on the radio I change the station. When HTW comes on the radio I turn it up.

Second copy cat in this thread. How thrilling.

It's more of a copy kitty really

Never thought of it that way. I'll keep that in mind.

Posted by: Brown Moses ()
Date: July 31, 2015 19:42

Personally I would go with Brown Sugar,but that's just me.I would have it in my top 10 records of all time for me.
Nothing wrong with HTW,a great record in its' own right.

Posted by: redsock ()
Date: July 31, 2015 23:44

I consider Brown Sugar one of the greatest rock and roll songs of all time.
Perhaps *the* greatest.

Re: Both
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 31, 2015 23:54

Can we specify that we mean Honky Tonk Women with the Paris verse?
Apparently that was one of the original verses before they decided to make it all American.
Was it at Hyde Park 2012 or Berlin 2013 that the Mick threw in the Paris verse? Wherever it was it was a joy to hear.
"Naked as the day that I will die" is one of those perfect lines.

Re: Both
Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 1, 2015 00:07

with sssoul
Can we specify that we mean Honky Tonk Women with the Paris verse?
Apparently that was one of the original verses before they decided to make it all American.
Was it at Hyde Park 2012 or Berlin 2013 that the Mick threw in the Paris verse? Wherever it was it was a joy to hear.
"Naked as the day that I will die" is one of those perfect lines.

this is a very interesting wrinkle. in my original post, i was referring to the studio version released as a single.
but perhaps we should in fact be evaluating different versions of the song vs. one another.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1893
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home