Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: so called working titles of Rolling Stones albums
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 27, 2015 18:39

Rocky Dijon
The backing track to "Break the Spell" was "Call Girl Blues." "Dogshit" was Keith's mean-spirited notation on the session log for the embryonic "Pretty Beat Up" which Mick called "Ronnie's Idea." You'll note Keith returned to this title while slagging off GODDESS IN THE DOORWAY.

I'm glad I didn't have a mouthful of coffee when I read that!

Date: July 27, 2015 18:41

AUTOMATIC CHANGER... most likely only the title changed but not the album cover idea seeing what an automatic changer is...

Date: July 27, 2015 18:48

There was some article recently, in the past couple of years, that talked about Mick hiring, as I recall, Warhol for a new LP cover. It was before LET IT BLEED came out. It never said what LP but it implied what would become, bizarrely, from Mick quotes, THROUGH THE PAST DARKLY. Obviously that is not what happened.

It's been said in some books that they planned on releasing 2 albums in 1969, with the first one being STICKY FINGERS and the second one being out in time for x-mas. It seems perhaps that they, or at least Mick, thought they would get the LIB follow up done fast and that, maybe, the second one, which turned out to be LIB, was going to be called AUTOMATIC CHANGER. It seems this thought was in early 1969.

I don't know how valid any of that is, SF and then LIB once they decided on a title for it - even though they didn't release SF first. Goofballs.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: July 27, 2015 20:12

The Rolling Stones, Now! -> The Rolling Stones, Soon!

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: July 27, 2015 21:08

April Fool was considered before they came up with Black and Blue.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: July 27, 2015 23:15

Never believed that Manhattan Beach was a working title for ABB. Someone probably heard something about that name, and it actually is mentioned in the liner notes. As I recall it was the mixing studio of the record. I remember reading in a Danish newspaper that it was also going to be called Sweet Neocon, and in another newspaper simply "Neocon". Again, some journalist probably, and unknowingly, caught wind of the mixing studio, and a song title. It then became the name of the album to said journalist, and was wrongfully claimed as the title in the paper.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 27, 2015 23:30

GasLightStreet
There was some article recently, in the past couple of years, that talked about Mick hiring,
as I recall, Warhol for a new LP cover. It was before LET IT BLEED came out.

Do you mean the correspondence with MC Escher, maybe?

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: July 28, 2015 01:58

with sssoul
GasLightStreet
There was some article recently, in the past couple of years, that talked about Mick hiring,

Gas Light is right, Mick was talking to Warhol about designing a cover long before Sticky Fingers, it might have gone as far back as pre-LIB.

Date: July 28, 2015 03:56

JumpingKentFlash
Never believed that Manhattan Beach was a working title for ABB. Someone probably heard something about that name, and it actually is mentioned in the liner notes. As I recall it was the mixing studio of the record. I remember reading in a Danish newspaper that it was also going to be called Sweet Neocon, and in another newspaper simply "Neocon". Again, some journalist probably, and unknowingly, caught wind of the mixing studio, and a song title. It then became the name of the album to said journalist, and was wrongfully claimed as the title in the paper.

Dunno. Post-production for A BIGGER BANG:

Los Angeles, Ocean Way Recording Studios & The Village Recorder
('Rough Justice' only). Producers: Don Was & The Glimmer Twins. Overdubbing and
mixing of the upcoming studio album 'A Bigger Bang

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 28, 2015 03:58

GasLightStreet
There was some article recently, in the past couple of years, that talked about Mick hiring, as I recall, Warhol for a new LP cover. It was before LET IT BLEED came out. It never said what LP but it implied what would become, bizarrely, from Mick quotes, THROUGH THE PAST DARKLY. Obviously that is not what happened.

It's been said in some books that they planned on releasing 2 albums in 1969, with the first one being STICKY FINGERS and the second one being out in time for x-mas. It seems perhaps that they, or at least Mick, thought they would get the LIB follow up done fast and that, maybe, the second one, which turned out to be LIB, was going to be called AUTOMATIC CHANGER. It seems this thought was in early 1969.

I don't know how valid any of that is, SF and then LIB once they decided on a title for it - even though they didn't release SF first. Goofballs.

I don't recall where but I also read the same thing.

Date: July 28, 2015 04:00

Turner68
with sssoul
GasLightStreet

Gas Light is right, Mick was talking to Warhol about designing a cover long before Sticky Fingers, it might have gone as far back as pre-LIB.

I can't recall who wrote the article or what the hell magazine/book/special this that or the other it was in. I just remember Mick talking about doing an album cover with Warhol pre-TTPD, which as we know was not done by Warhol.

It's interesting in one aspect to think about that time for them: Jumpin' Jack Flash, BEGGARS BANQUET. More recording. Ideas of two LPs in 1969. Talking with Warhol about an LP cover. Yet a hits comp comes out with the covers done by I forget who, then LET IT BLEED, with the original title influencing the artwork (it seems anyway), some tours, a live album, STICKY FINGERS... with Warhol and John Pasche's logo.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 28, 2015 04:02

GasLightStreet
Turner68
with sssoul
GasLightStreet

I can't recall who wrote the article or what the hell magazine/book/special this that or the other it was in. I just remember Mick talking about doing an album cover with Warhol pre-TTPD, which as we know was not done by Warhol.

It's interesting in one aspect to think about that time for them: Jumpin' Jack Flash, BEGGARS BANQUET. More recording. Ideas of two LPs in 1969. Talking with Warhol about an LP cover. Yet a hits comp comes out with the covers done by I forget who, then LET IT BLEED, with the original title influencing the artwork (it seems anyway), some tours, a live album, STICKY FINGERS... with Warhol and John Pasche's logo.

Come to think of it, it may have been in a Rolling Stone article from 1969...that sounds very familiar.

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: July 28, 2015 07:19

Havo
Hope you know what i mean. So lets go:

Their satanic majesties request was cosmic christmas

Aftermath could you walk on the water

Exile on main Street Tropical desease

A bigger Bang Manhatten Beach

You know some more???

Some Girls : More Fast Numbers
Undercover: XXX
Tattoo You: Tattoo

Posted by: SharksWillCry ()
Date: July 28, 2015 07:43

Just for completion's sake,

But Naked = Stripped.

How this has not come up is bizarre, especially since there was just a thread dedicated to it (maybe it was a given).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-28 07:46 by SharksWillCry.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: July 28, 2015 21:47

Turner68
BrownSugar1980
The only other one I can think of is Let It Bleed, which was originally titled Automatic Changer.

i feel like the history of the band would have been completely different if they had stuck with that (horrible) title..

nah. obviously makes more literal sense assuming same album art. album names dont change history.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: July 28, 2015 21:50

treaclefingers
Havo
Hope you know what i mean. So lets go:

Their satanic majesties request was cosmic christmas

Aftermath could you walk on the water

Exile on main Street Tropical desease

A bigger Bang Manhatten Beach

You know some more???

I like each of the alternates as titles...particularly Cosmic Christmas and Manhattan Beach.

Manhattan Beach is way better than A Bigger Bang

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: July 28, 2015 21:56

JumpingKentFlash
Never believed that Manhattan Beach was a working title for ABB.

Design plans for what was to become the ABB tour stage:

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: July 29, 2015 02:38

flashpoint = got vegas if you want it

Posted by: daniel t ()
Date: July 29, 2015 03:20

I think Stripped was supposed to be called ''Butt Naked'' originally.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 29, 2015 17:38

billwebster
Rocky Dijon
19 STITCHES was bandied about at a time when nine other tracks were under consideration at the first mixing sessions in late summer 1985. I always wondered if a possible double album was planned. The weird thing is just how many Keith lead vocals we would have had. The other nine tracks listed at the time were: Strictly Memphis, Nobody's Perfect, Deep Love, Crushed Pearl, You're Too Much, Treat Me Like a Fool, Some of Us Are On Our Knees, Your Love, and I Can't See Nobody. Granted some of the outtakes sung by Keith might have also had Mick vocals by the mixing stage. Still, I'd love to hear the finished (or nearly finished versions) of these tracks.

Reading about this for the 1st time now, I get the feeling they threw out the wrong songs and "Dirty Work" could have been a better album had they chosen some of the other tracks for it.

It's too bad this is not a famous record or we would get to hear all of those sooner or later on an expanded reissue. I think they would be worth releasing anyway. Or maybe I'm just curious.
to bad the Stones did not tour in support of Dirty Work .think about the set list and how much fun that would have been with the song selections ?

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: July 29, 2015 17:59

erikjjf
JumpingKentFlash
Never believed that Manhattan Beach was a working title for ABB.

Design plans for what was to become the ABB tour stage:

That was new to me. You have more photos like this?

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: OldSoul ()
Date: July 30, 2015 01:38

Most of these early titles were pretty bad sounding.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: July 30, 2015 16:23

..and Black and Blue 'Tripped'...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 7, 2020 21:11

Rocky Dijon
19 STITCHES was bandied about at a time when nine other tracks were under consideration at the first mixing sessions in late summer 1985. I always wondered if a possible double album was planned. The weird thing is just how many Keith lead vocals we would have had. The other nine tracks listed at the time were: Strictly Memphis, Nobody's Perfect, Deep Love, Crushed Pearl, You're Too Much, Treat Me Like a Fool, Some of Us Are On Our Knees, Your Love, and I Can't See Nobody. Granted some of the outtakes sung by Keith might have also had Mick vocals by the mixing stage. Still, I'd love to hear the finished (or nearly finished versions) of these tracks.

Wow had missed that and never heard of 19 tracks being under consideration. Was that info published in Bill German's fanzine ?

AFAIK only "Nobody's Perfect" hasn't been booted, at least under that title ? It's hard to see how "Some of Us Are On Our Knees" could have been considered unless it was considerably reworked late in the game. "Your Love" is probably "What Am I Gonna Do With Your Love".

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 7, 2020 22:32

'Yessirreeeeeeee', 'Eat it' and 'Tropical Disease' were working titles for Exile.

I'm not really convinced that 'Pretty Beat Up' was originally called 'Dogshit'. Mick, Keith and Bill were interviewed (separately) by the BBC for the release of 'Undercover' in November 1983 and Bill was talking about their working methods and I got the impression at the time from his tone that that it was merely an example of an absurd working title rather than one they actually used.

Its a series of interviews that are worth tracking down, by the way, especially to hear Keith doing a hilarious impersonation of Max Miller.

Date: June 7, 2020 22:54

Working title for LET IT BLEED was apparently HARD SOX AND DIRTY KNOX, which is announced in the liner notes, where as AUTOMATIC CHANGER was the title... until it got changed to as we know it.

At least, and I know there has been some talk of aspects of these album art stories having some errors, based right here:

The Let It Bleed album cover art is largely the product of one man and his friendship with Keith Richards.
The cover was wonderfully and weirdly congruent with the album title when that title was Automatic
Changer. In 1969 and even today it would be/is incongruous with the title, unless you are bent on seeing
meaning in everything that is done to create an album. Sometimes a surreal automatic changer is just an
automatic changer and not a depiction of the many delicately balanced forces of 1960s society on the
front cover and their destruction on the back cover. Already I digress, let’s back up and start at the
beginning.
“Hard Knox and Durty Sox” is the working title that Keith Richards had in mind while putting this album
together. In June, 1969 the Stones announced they would be releasing two new albums that year, one,
entitled Sticky Fingers, in September and another in December. In the July 26, 1969 issue of DISC
magazine Keith talked about the new album. DISC said, “Keith says he has enjoyed making this new LP
much more than Beggars Banquet; working with new Stone, Mick Taylor, has been one factor. Taylor’s
joining the band has resulted in more energetic music, according to Richards, although he only appears
on three tracks on the forthcoming LP to be titled: Sticky Fingers”. But Sticky Fingers would not be first
to the finish line.

[iorr.org]

Date: June 7, 2020 23:01

It's too bad STEEL WHEELS wasn't a working title.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: June 8, 2020 23:31

GasLightStreet

How about STUFFED POTATOES ?

Date: June 8, 2020 23:40

georgie48
GasLightStreet

AU GRATIN would've been a lot better!

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: June 9, 2020 08:40

GasLightStreet
georgie48
GasLightStreet

AU GRATIN would've been a lot better!

Agree. I find SW easily as tasty as the gratins my wife makes winking smiley

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2469
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home