Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Voodoo Lounge Rethink
Posted by: jaggered1 ()
Date: July 21, 2015 10:30

I am surprised that V.L.is not get the recognition it deserves IMO it is one of the greatest of late period Stones. Such variety. Good rockers great ballads a little Tex Mex and Keiths best country ever. And why they haven't done Mean Disposition or Baby Break It Down live escapes me.

Re: Voodoo Lounge Rethink
Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: July 21, 2015 11:12

Always liked this album and consider it the best after Tattoo You, then Steel Wheels for a close second. But yes, you will find a considerable amount of dislike for this album. We're all a little different.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: July 21, 2015 11:58

Sure it's a very enjoyable album. Great diversity and good atmosphere.
Lots of great guitar work on it too.

I could start a long list of great songs, starting from Undercover, that deserve more
recognition and would have been a nice addition to any setlist.
Pretty beat up, Had it with you, Hold on to your hat, Mean Disposition, Too Tight,
Dangerous beauty, just to name a few.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 21, 2015 12:57

01. Love Is Strong
02. You Got Me Rocking
03. Sparks Will Fly
04. The Worst
05. New Faces ---->FILLER
06. Moon Is Up
07. Out of Tears ----->FILLER
08. I Go Wild
09. Brand New Car
10. Sweethearts Together ---->FILLER
11. Suck on the Jugular
12. Blinded by Rainbows ----->FILLER
13. Baby Break It Down ------->FILLER
14. Thru and Thru -------->FILLER
15. Mean Disposition

It has some very good-great songs on it, but imho also a lot of fillers. At first I didn´t like Voodoo Lounge very much. Then I removed the fillers, changed the sequence here and there and added a few b-sides. The result is for me much more enjoyable than the original which I hardly play anymore:

01. Love Is Strong
02. Sparks Will Fly
03. I Go Wild
04. You Got Me Rocking
05. Moon Is Up
06. Brand New Car
07. Suck On The Jugular
08. The Worst
09. The Storm
10. I´m Gonna Drive
11. Mean Disposition
12. Jump On Top Of Me

Posted by: Single Malt ()
Date: July 21, 2015 13:25

IMO VL should've been a single LP.

1. Love Is Strong
2. You Got Me Rocking
3. Sparks Will Fly
4. Moon Is Up
5. Out Of Tears

1. I Go Wild
2. Brand New Car
3. Suck On The Jugular
4. Baby Break It Down
5. Thru And Thru

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 21, 2015 13:32

thru and thru is not FILLER

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 21, 2015 14:06

TheGreek

Agreed.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: July 21, 2015 14:12

The Worst is one of Keith's best! Saves the album.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: July 21, 2015 14:19

..great songs...the one and only filler is "out of tears"..far too long !

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: July 21, 2015 14:21

I made a disc of this running order which I like better...........

01 Moon Is Up
02 Love Is Strong
03 I go wild
04 The Worst
05 Brand new car
06 Out of tears

07 Blinded by rainbows
08 Suck on the jugular
09 Sparks Will Fly
10 Thru & Thru
11 Break it down
12 You Got Me Rocking

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: July 21, 2015 14:23

I love Voodoo Lounge. Mean Disposition and Suck On The Jugular are very underrated tunes.

But when it came out, I went CRAZY for Moon Is Up. I must have listened to it 50 times in the first three days. What an amazing song.

I mostly agree with HMS on the ones he marked as filler, except for Thru And Thru, which is a masterpiece, and I like Baby Break It Down. I do like all the b sides HMS added, especially Jump On Top Of Me, which I think is one of the most enjoyable rockers the Stones have ever done.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: July 21, 2015 14:29

More Hot Rocks
TheGreek

Agreed.

One of my favourite Keith tracks. I remember being blown away by the intensity of his performance of it at the Bercy Arena in 2003. Highlight of a great gig for me (with Love In Vain a close second).

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: July 21, 2015 14:41

It's great up until Moon Is Up. Then I get a bit lost with Jagger's tracks (Out Of Tears, Brand New Car, Suck On The Jugular...). But it goes back on tracks with Sweetheart Together, Blinded By Rainbows, Baby Break It Down and Thru And Thru.

So, possibly, my shorten track list would go like this :

1. Love Is Strong
2. You Got Me Rocking
3. Sparks Will Fly
4. The Worst
5. New Faces
6. Moon Is Up
7. Out Of Tears
8. I Go Wild
9. Sweethearts Together
10. Blinded By Rainbows
11. Baby Break It Down
12. Thru And Thru

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: July 21, 2015 14:55

The best post Tattoo You work is UC, VL and ABB in my setlist

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: July 21, 2015 15:16

Neglected. They play #2 songs. That song doesn't cut it live for me. I would rather hear I Go Wild

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 21, 2015 15:33

YGMR is an interesting case - I'd say that the album version is filler - but it works damn well live, so where does that leave it?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 21, 2015 17:57

It hasn't aged well. And the garbage just gets worse - Sweethearts Together? Really? That is awful.

Blinded By Rainbows is Stones-by-numbers and borrrrrring. Sparks Will Fly is really fast Stones-by-numbers. You Got Me Rocking is boring.

Love Is Strong is good (it's absolutely horrible live though - another one of those songs that works great in the studio, like Heartbreaker and She's So Cold, but is dead on stage before the first note is hit). Out Of Tears is fantastic, some great playing on that by Keith and Ronnie, the bridge especially. I Go Wild is... it reminds me that it could fit on BLACK AND BLUE. I've always liked it. I only like New Faces because of that bootleg, whatever one, that has a track of Keith overdubbing a guitar line on it and it's hilarious. Moon Is Up... really nice. Suck On The Jugular, The Worst, Thru And Thru, Mean Disposition, all very different tracks, solid tracks and not your typical Stones.

It certainly should've been a shorter album. The two B-sides are fantastic even.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: July 21, 2015 18:07

Best post breakup tour and album. Was it forced retro? Maybe, bug IMO, Don't Was repeatedly thwarted Mick and his attempts to be what he's not- young and trendy. Likely why Mick ruined the next record with Babyface and the Dust Brothers.....sigh

Rainbows filler??? Give it another listen, possibly one of Ronnie's creative and interesting solos ever.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: July 21, 2015 20:57

The one Stones album I can't do without!!! BUT it should end with Thru & Thru...

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: July 21, 2015 21:28

'Lounge' was the first released new album after I became a fan, so will always be a special one. It is overlong, at 15 tracks the few weaker songs do dilute the overall quality somewhat; however, overall, the work (album, b sides, session bootlegs) show that the band were very creative and the Voodoo era has plenty if nuggets and gems.

My ipod version cuts a few of the weaker tunes, adds 2 wonderful B Sides, and creates a damn fine album, still sounds great 21 years later. Any album with Love is Strong, the Storm, Sparks will Fly, Moon is Up, Mean Disposition, The worst, is quite a listening experience.

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: July 21, 2015 23:42

HMS when did you become the Filler police?
I really like the album and love a lot of the songs you call Filler's
Thru n Thru is a gem

Date: July 21, 2015 23:54

No shit.

Date: July 21, 2015 23:57

Thrylan
Best post breakup tour and album. Was it forced retro? Maybe, bug IMO, Don't Was repeatedly thwarted Mick and his attempts to be what he's not- young and trendy. Likely why Mick ruined the next record with Babyface and the Dust Brothers.....sigh

Rainbows filler??? Give it another listen, possibly one of Ronnie's creative and interesting solos ever.

No, not filler. Ha ha - Sparks Will Fly is probably filler, the kind of song they can do in 3 minutes. Keith has that 7th jank he janks on a good bit, it's open G, it races... sounds like The Stones. Except it's a bit of a cringe. I just find BBRainbows boring. I've listened to it a lot, the album, all the songs. BBRainbows, as nice as it is, is just... a bit of a yawn. At least it has been for the past few years. I used to like it.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: July 22, 2015 00:14

its quite a versatile album, like most good stones albums but it has too many nice songs and not a lot rock songs in there.

you got me rocking is ok at best and dont really know why it has become one of the most played stones songs ever.

sparks will fly is a bit weak.

some nice ballads, the worst, blinded by rainbows, out of tears. sweethearts together is a bit to nice, and cheesy.

moon is up is ok,

i go wild, brand new car and love is strong are the best 3 on the album.

its similar to goats head soup in my opinion but without the likes of star star and heartbreaker.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 22, 2015 00:25

I've never had to rethink this one, as I've always thought favorably on it.

From reading on the subject in this forum for a few years now, it seems most find fault with the album being too long for their tastes, never mind that their precious Exile on Main Street is around the same length.

But it was 1994 and not the glory years of 1972; so for latter-day Stones, for many, less is definitely more.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 22, 2015 00:30

HMS
01. Love Is Strong
02. You Got Me Rocking
03. Sparks Will Fly
04. The Worst
05. New Faces ---->FILLER
06. Moon Is Up
07. Out of Tears ----->FILLER
08. I Go Wild
09. Brand New Car
10. Sweethearts Together ---->FILLER
11. Suck on the Jugular
12. Blinded by Rainbows ----->FILLER
13. Baby Break It Down ------->FILLER
14. Thru and Thru -------->FILLER
15. Mean Disposition

It has some very good-great songs on it, but imho also a lot of fillers. At first I didn´t like Voodoo Lounge very much. Then I removed the fillers, changed the sequence here and there and added a few b-sides. The result is for me much more enjoyable than the original which I hardly play anymore:

01. Love Is Strong
02. Sparks Will Fly
03. I Go Wild
04. You Got Me Rocking
05. Moon Is Up
06. Brand New Car
07. Suck On The Jugular
08. The Worst
09. The Storm
10. I´m Gonna Drive
11. Mean Disposition
12. Jump On Top Of Me

A lot of the songs you describe as filler for me, saves the album.

Seriously, I think songs like Brand New Car, Suck on the Jugular, YGMR, Sparks Will Fly...well lets just say they're filler as far as I would be concerned.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 22, 2015 00:40

^ See what I mean about too much of a good thing being not so good? grinning smiley

I should start a thread on paring down Exile to make it a better, single album, but I don't want to provoke any arguments here. winking smiley

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: July 22, 2015 00:40

Voodoo is ok but not great. I was à bit dissapointed when it came out. I missed the playfulness fr.o.m. Micks wandering spirit. An album i really liked. And i thought Rick Rubin would have been the perfect choice as producer for VL. I still think he could have done exiting things if working with Keith.

I thought Don Was production was à bit lifeless.With à few exception as thru is thru and Moon is Up.

Some good sängs on it. But i actually think the band themeselves was à bit dissapointed with the album.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 22, 2015 00:42

stonehearted
^ See what I mean about too much of a good thing being not so good? grinning smiley

I should start a thread on paring down Exile to make it a better, single album, but I don't want to provoke any arguments here. winking smiley

you might incite a riot!

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: July 22, 2015 00:43

It sounds good, but the songwriting isn't up to par.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1985
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home