Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: If the Stones make another record, how will it sell
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 21, 2015 21:31

I hope it sells more than ABB :
I was given my copy by a good friend. The good friend got it from a rock journo who (naturally) got it for free from the record label.

In short : 3 consecutive listeners/owners of ABB and none of them paid for the music not even the 1st one (sorry Mick).

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: July 21, 2015 22:09

Probably similar to ABB sales. However they supported ABB with a massive tour which I think would be scaled way back today. New music would be great though.
Looking forward to Keith's new release!

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: July 21, 2015 22:49

ABB has sold 2,5 million copies in 2005-2006 when albums were still selling something, so if a new one is a success still it wont sell more than 1 million, it doesn't matter how much they try, the general public is not interested on full albums anymore, they stream and buy single songs.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 21, 2015 23:49

Maybe they could make an album's worth of material, and then release two songs as a single periodically. I think a single brings more attention and sales at this point.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 22, 2015 00:07

leatherjacket
I'm pretty shure a new stones album will be marketed like the last U2 album through modern download/online channels for free and a couple of weeks later will be offered for sale.The Stones will get a flat fee which will be larger than any money they did with any album so far. They don't need to sell albums the old way.

No company is interested in fronting the Stones for delivering a "free" album like Apple was with U2, especially since the Stones haven't recorded a new album since a decade ago. No matter what, if it's offered for free in any manner, next to no one will buy it when it goes on sale, just like what happened with U2. SONGS OF INNOCENCE is probably U2's weakest selling album in their history since THE UNFORGETTABLE FIRE yet more people have heard about it than any album they've ever done.

That hasn't translated.

Date: July 22, 2015 01:00

U2's latest album has sold about 700k worldwide, the previous one, No Line In The Horizon, moved 4 million copies (2009) and the previous one, Attomic Bomb, went on to sell over 8 million (2004).
A good example of how much the music industry changed and affected old acts sales during the last 10 years.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: July 22, 2015 03:28

It will see a lot initially, they'll be tons of interest. But, Stones albums often have to grow on the public, so after a while, who knows?

Posted by: kammpberg ()
Date: July 22, 2015 06:03

Hi GeorgeLicks,
Kind of off-topic but others have requested as well. Would love to see a sales comparison between the Stones reissues (Exile, Some Girls, Sticky Fingers) vs the recent Led Zeppelin reissues.

Date: July 22, 2015 06:28

I can post the numbers available so far:

Exile: 1.1m worldwide (430k in the US)
Some Girls: 350k worldwide (137k in the US)
Sticky Fingers: 200k worldwide (87k in the US)

Led Zeppelin: 350k worldwide (110k in the US)
II: 300k worldwide (100k in the US)
III: 250k worldwide (95k in the US)
IV: 350k worldwide (100k in the US)
Houses: 250k worldwide (85k in the US)
Physical Graffity: 300k worldwide (85k in the US)

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: July 22, 2015 06:39

How many more copies would Sticky Fingers have sold if they had two or three new tracks on it?

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: July 22, 2015 08:07

It makes me sad and nostalgic that the era of the album is long gone. Now I'm 57, so I was an LP guy. I only bought a dozen CDs in my life. I don't even know where my CDs are and my albums are in boxes in the basement. I don't even know if the Stones will ever release more than another single or two. If they release an album, the CD sales will be very poor and the digital downloads will not be impressive at all. Let's get real, when some of us were in our early 20s in the late 1970s, how did we percieve musicians that were in their 70s? Even with "old is the new middle-aged" there are limits.

But those of us that know the magic of the "album experience" can savour those memories. The White Album with the poster and the four 8x10 glossies, the Sticky Fingers album with the zipper. I must have stared at the backs of Rubber Soul and GYYYO for hours. Kids don't watch music videos on TV anymore, they go to YouTube. If Taylor Swift has 300 million views on some of her videos, that must generate quite a bit of revenue for her.

I will say something "bad" that is just the reality - with a few mouse clicks a music video on YouTube can become an mp3 in 90 seconds. I fugure the way they make money now is from the YouTube eyeball revenue, not so much from paying for a digital download. It's a complicated world.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: July 22, 2015 08:17

Well, I have bought four copies of ABB - CD and LP when it first came out, deluxe CD/DVD a couple months later, and then a fourth copy a couple of years ago as part of the LP box set.

It doesn't take much to get to no. 1 these days. I think that if released in multiple formats, with a few bonus tracks here and there, they'll hit no. 1 off sales to the core fan base alone.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 22, 2015 08:34

Yeah, with 35,000 copies sold. What a joke.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 22, 2015 11:53

Pessimists. A new Stones-record would sell zillions of copies worldwide. They never had more fans than today. Especially young peolple like Doom And Gloom a lot and the rather young Glastonbury audience was marveled. If only the Stones weren´t that lazy. Live work is more fun to them than studio work, so it will not be easy to get them in a studio for months, no matter what Keith recently mumbled about "getting the boys back in the studio". Sometimes I think Mick is discontented with his voice and this being the main reason for not recording a new album. On Alfie his vocals were thin and hollow, somewhat weak and lacking power. Maybe image-concious Mick is afraid that people might say his voice has grown old.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-22 11:55 by HMS.

Posted by: kammpberg ()
Date: July 22, 2015 14:37

thanks GeorgeLicks for the sales comparison. Surprising to me, but so nice to see The Stones actually outselling Led Zep right now on the recent reissues. I really like Led Zeppelin but nothing like The Stones. It's always been a bit disheartening to me here in the States where Led Zep were and I suspect still are way more popular than the Stones.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: July 22, 2015 18:54

georgelicks
I can post the numbers available so far:

Exile: 1.1m worldwide (430k in the US)
Some Girls: 350k worldwide (137k in the US)
Sticky Fingers: 200k worldwide (87k in the US)

Led Zeppelin: 350k worldwide (110k in the US)
II: 300k worldwide (100k in the US)
III: 250k worldwide (95k in the US)
IV: 350k worldwide (100k in the US)
Houses: 250k worldwide (85k in the US)
Physical Graffity: 300k worldwide (85k in the US)

Thanks George, this is interesting to see. Exile is clearly the standout among
the other three reissues. Maybe only due to the novelty of it being the first
release of the expanded reissues?

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1670
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home