Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: who invented hard rock?
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 2, 2005 03:11

Link Wray must be a strong contender for in 1958 he took The Stroll by The Diamonds and loosly shaped it into his guitar slinger instrumental The Rumble.

Wray's many psyched - out instrumentals were a big influnece on a young Pete Townsend.

ROCKMAN

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: August 2, 2005 03:51

Rockman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Link Wray must be a strong contender for in 1958
> he took The Stroll by The Diamonds and loosly
> shaped it into his guitar slinger instrumental The
> Rumble.
>
> Wray's many psyched - out instrumentals were a big
> influnece on a young Pete Townsend.
>
> ROCKMAN
>
>

Thank you, Professor Rockman--if you have an MP3 of this, then zip it up and send it to me. I'd love to hear it. Thanks in advance, my friend.

Glenn

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 2, 2005 04:05

Sorry old chap dont have MP3 of it but it's on nearly every Link Wray comp...also check out his gut wrencher - Jack The Ripper it may just cut you in two.

Best sound found on

Link Wray - The Original Rumble Plus - ACE CDCH 924

ROCKMAN

Posted by: davido ()
Date: August 2, 2005 06:59

Hard rocks true roots are in the
blues; I'd name Muddy Waters, + Howling Wolf
coz I like the Chess Blues sound, which was
pretty hard on the beat and the guitar and
harmonicas can still send shivers down my
spine -pero/ but I'm sure there are others
here who can trace the roots A LOT further
back............................?!

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: August 2, 2005 11:16

In my book Hard Rock is strictly tied to palm muted pedal on a open string combinated with "power chords". Rythm is not provided by an alternation of "upstrokes" and "downstrokes", it comes from the alternation of pedal and chord, all in downstrokes. Harmony does not come from the chords (power chords don't have the III, which gives the major minor sound) but is implied in the progression of the chords.

This is my idea of HR/HM. Sure it might be stupid, but definitions in music usually are stupid.

Anyway I'm not too sure who started it. Communication Breakdown (Led Zep 1) comes to my mind. The Stooges 1 also. MC5 of course.

C

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: August 2, 2005 15:09

Wow liddas! That is deep. I never thought of it that way: that the minor chorda are implied through progression when using only the 1-5 chords.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: August 2, 2005 15:57

Zepplin may not have invented hard rock, but they pretty much perfected it. The Stones were also merging into the metal lane with Taylor on guitar in 69.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 2, 2005 16:09

Who cares? It was a boring invention who ever did it...

JOKE!

But I will agree with Mathijs that Led Zeppelin (and perhaps Jeff Beck Group) were the first who nailed the form. Acts like Hendrix and Cream, of course, had some inclination to that direction, but their music is much too interesting to label just 'hard rock'smiling smiley. And the riffs of "You Really Got Me", and the loudness of The Who, and whoever who was spreading the idea of playing lot of guitar solos and riffs is a cool thing to do, had a influence in inventing this musical form.

You know, as I take it, 'hard rock' is the extreme position you get when you take a black man's music and do it with the white man's engineer and nert attitude (perhaps trained with the best classical education) as much as possible. The Stones (luckily) is somewhere swinging in the middle.

- Doxa

Posted by: Love In Vain ()
Date: August 2, 2005 16:14

The Kinks or The Jeff Beck Group.

Posted by: sladog ()
Date: August 2, 2005 16:35

Actually, Hard Rock was created 1971 in London.

Oh! You didn't mean the Hard Rock Cafe?

lol.

Posted by: Rank Outsider ()
Date: August 2, 2005 17:04

I do know for sure that Bon Jovi did reinvent hard rock in the 80's with their seminal album Slippery When Wet which features classics like You give love a bad name, Livin' on a prayer and Wanted dead or alive. This record made all the difference to me.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: August 2, 2005 18:18

OK. I'll fess up. It was me!

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: August 2, 2005 18:20

I'd say The Who too.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: martingo ()
Date: August 2, 2005 19:52

the who; and, an obscure 1960s band called The Troggs cracked the door further open with "wild thing"

Posted by: john r ()
Date: August 2, 2005 19:55

Well nobody 'invented' it really, as the past 2 pages attest

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: August 2, 2005 20:50

With all respect, Rank Outsider, mentioning Bon Jovi & hard rock in the same sentence may not be that natural.

Like some posters before me, I´d say we have to define hard rock. What was invented, and how long did it live? Iron Maiden is the baby of Thin Lizzy. After Purple came... Nuthin. DP reinvented hard rock in 1984-86 while reunioning, and again in the 90´s. A Purple without Blackmore, or Gillan, or (worst of all) without Jon Lord is no Purple. One could say hard rock found its form and died with Deep Purple... Well, and some Hungarian bands that most folks here never heard: P. Box, P. Mobil, Dinamit, Hobo Blues Band; and Omega in the golden years (circa 1970-73). Jethtro Tull is the younger brothers of Purple & Sabbath in my ears a blind gate. Zeppelin is heavy blues like Hendrix. I dont buy the history writoing when Zeppelin is first and Purple after them. OK, maybe Zepp´lin helped pushed them in right direction... Together with other acts. Steppenwolf have been mentioned; and the Troggs. Free ought to be in too.

The Chocolate Watchband is represented in the Nuggets II-box ("Nuggets: Original Artyfacts from the First Psychedelic Era 1965-1968 [Box]" ) and is easy to get hold of, and the booklet in the boxis very informative (compiled with the cooperation of Jac Holzman and Lenny Kaye and other notable garage-rock aficionados as it is, words from [www.notlame.com] ). Many of proto-hard rockers are... The Gonn with "Blackout of Gretely" are very hard. So is Electric Prunes with "I Had Too Much To Dream (Last Night)". Purple´s "Black Knight" was btw - they have revealed it themselves - ripped off from a Nuggets-tune: "We aint got nothin´ yet" with the Blues Magoos, written by Gilbert/Scala/Esposito. 124 songs, the booklet has 100 pages. See all titles at [www.amazon.com]: a true trip in tock n´roll history.

The sound wall nowadays created by youngsters with lack of song material, roots or melodies as well as of harmony can be called anything... But hard rock. It´s just ~metal something.

Tracing hard rock back to blues roots seems reasonable. For what´s it worth.

The hardest of them all is the Stones, when in good shape.

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: August 2, 2005 21:06

There is a new Chocolate Watchband compilation out. Very comprehensive:

[www.allmusic.com]

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2066
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home