Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: should the stones go back to a guitar intro for SFTD?
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 5, 2015 23:27

Hilarious keys and Ronnie playing the same note over and over...

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 5, 2015 23:37

Of course, there was a bit of a change between 1969-70-71 and 1975-76 - still guitar oriented and with a good beat etc but slowed down a bit in 1975-76... and then again but only lastly and worse, 1989-2015 (1989-90/1994-95/1997-98-99/2002-03/2005-06-07/2012-13-14-15) with the Casio keyboard version with the plink plinky keys and wonky Keefing.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: June 5, 2015 23:55

GasLightStreet
Of course, there was a bit of a change between 1969-70-71 and 1975-76 - still guitar oriented and with a good beat etc but slowed down a bit in 1975-76... and then again but only lastly and worse, 1989-2015 (1989-90/1994-95/1997-98-99/2002-03/2005-06-07/2012-13-14-15) with the Casio keyboard version with the plink plinky keys and wonky Keefing.

yes. 1989 is where it started to go horribly wrong.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: June 5, 2015 23:59

HearMeKnockin
I think they should go back to this intro.

This is the real intro, no plink, plink...

second best

Chuck ruins the things

Date: June 6, 2015 00:03

i agree mtaylor.

i forgot how funky the LYL version was, it's better than i remember.

playing the recorded "paint it black you devil" on the Steel Wheels tour might have been the moment the stones jumped the shark and the Vegas era began.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-06 00:03 by Turner68.

Date: June 6, 2015 00:06

HearMeKnockin
I think they should go back to this intro.

it's dangerous to say things like this. the sentiment, while totally valid, is the jumping off point for them using ridiculous cow bell tape loops in concert, playing the solos exactly the way they sound on record, etc.

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: June 6, 2015 00:12

I really love the Rock and Roll Circus version and Mick performance is absolutely sublimesmileys with beer

Posted by: Mikael ()
Date: June 6, 2015 03:16

Most important for SFTD... Bring a percussion player! Or two. The very idea of the prerecorded track is just embarrassing.
Lose some horns. Add some percussion.
- Best versions for me are the R´n R Circus and LA Friday.

The DSD flat transfer of Love You Live is great as well, if to a lesser degree. I always loved that album but found too trebly, and was blown away by the "turqoise blue " version from japan last year. Maybe I had some bad luck with my old vinyl...

No clicktracky prerecorded shite on these versions. Just great playing.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 6, 2015 04:45

Turner68
i agree mtaylor.

i forgot how funky the LYL version was, it's better than i remember.

playing the recorded "paint it black you devil" on the Steel Wheels tour might have been the moment the stones jumped the shark and the Vegas era began.

Yeah the LYL guitars are great but I actually think Keith would have trouble playing it like that these days. Chuck is in there to cover for that fact as much as anything else.

Also if Chuck didn't have such a plink plink piano tone and used the full range on his keyboard sound he'd be stepping all over the guitars frequency wise and the mix would get muddy in a hurry. Not sure if the plink comes from the FOH engineers treatment of his piano or his own EQ adjustment but it makes for a cleaner overall mix. Even if he had a full range piano sound but was turned down it could still muddy things and create holes where his parts are......just sayin'.

peace

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: June 6, 2015 04:49

Absolutely not. The piano brings a dark mood to the song. Its perfect.

Date: June 6, 2015 05:08

More Hot Rocks
Absolutely not. The piano brings a dark mood to the song. Its perfect.

Are you being sarcastic?

Date: June 7, 2015 04:29

GasLightStreet
Either version - GYYYO! or LYL - would suffice as a style of playing it now but Charlie can't and won't drum of that essence anymore. The song is beyond too long in the tooth with the 1989 version of it being done on every tour. It needs to be dropped from the set.

It's even worse now with complete verses being skipped compared to earlier tours from the '90's. I am pretty sure that they played the complete arrangement in '97 / '98 plus one other tour ..... Steel Wheels / Urban Jungle if I recall correctly. I haven't listened to these versions of Sympathy in some time.

Besides,the guitar playing on this song ("Sympathy") seems to be going downhill by the tour. I am not completely prejudiced against the recent tours either. I prefer "Before They Make Me Run" from the '14 On Fire' tour in Australia over the 1989 versions as an example but, "Sympathy for the Devil" is in a drastic decline.

I agree that it should be replaced.

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: June 7, 2015 08:21

I also agree in the decline since 89, I would love to hear a ya ya version or 75 LA version.

But for some reason I do love the version from 1997 St. louis pay per view show.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1359
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home