Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Is the Live Album Dead?
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 4, 2015 02:31

The real question is WHO WOULD CARE ABOUT A NEW LIVE ALBUM? By who, the Stones? Live Albums used to be special, and the first chance to hear your favorite group in a different setting. Maybe the songs sounded a little different, a little sped up. There's no one out there now with a catalogue of music begging to be heard live. What? You want Taylor Swift LIVE!

With the advent of the DVD as a music delivery device, most groups are now on film/video doing all their hits. And if their lucky they actually have some archival films to sell, like the Stones. And archival is about all there is demand for. I don't want to see the Allman Brothers circa 2014, but I sure as well want to see the film of them Live At The Fillmore East FINALLY on DVD. Or Bowie at the Tower in 1974 was secretly filmed.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 4, 2015 02:38

Maybe we should consider ourselves lucky having lived through the era of vinyl, cassettes and cd:s? And even record stores?

Posted by: HearMeKnockin ()
Date: June 4, 2015 02:41

We should hold a service for the live album's death on IORR...

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: June 4, 2015 02:42

24FPS
The real question is WHO WOULD CARE ABOUT A NEW LIVE ALBUM? By who, the Stones? Live Albums used to be special, and the first chance to hear your favorite group in a different setting. Maybe the songs sounded a little different, a little sped up. There's no one out there now with a catalogue of music begging to be heard live. What? You want Taylor Swift LIVE!

With the advent of the DVD as a music delivery device, most groups are now on film/video doing all their hits. And if their lucky they actually have some archival films to sell, like the Stones. And archival is about all there is demand for. I don't want to see the Allman Brothers circa 2014, but I sure as well want to see the film of them Live At The Fillmore East FINALLY on DVD. Or Bowie at the Tower in 1974 was secretly filmed.

breaking news: DVDs are pretty much defunct. there was a 28% drop in sales last year of DVDs. this year more money will be spent streaming movies than on DVD. in 2016 DVDs will be as dead as VHS.

Date: June 4, 2015 02:48

So it's all going digital? Time to learn to hack...

Date: June 4, 2015 02:55

The Live Album is not Dead, but many Dead albums are live...

Date: June 4, 2015 02:58

HearMeKnockin

Yes. I'll send you a memo.

Date: June 4, 2015 03:04

Turner68
HearMeKnockin
Yes. I'll send you a memo.
Aww, thanks Turner. smileys with beer

Date: June 4, 2015 04:41

Turner68
24FPS

breaking news: DVDs are pretty much defunct. there was a 28% drop in sales last year of DVDs. this year more money will be spent streaming movies than on DVD. in 2016 DVDs will be as dead as VHS.

So....I should turn in my new Hampton '81, L.A. Forum '75, and upcoming Marquee '71, and possibly Hyde Park '69 DVDs? My Blu Ray player rocks on Saturday night.

Date: June 4, 2015 07:23

24FPS
Turner68
24FPS

So....I should turn in my new Hampton '81, L.A. Forum '75, and upcoming Marquee '71, and possibly Hyde Park '69 DVDs? My Blu Ray player rocks on Saturday night.

Not at all - just saying that just as DVDs changed the game as you pointed out, the game is changing again.

Date: June 4, 2015 08:26

Turner68
24FPS
Turner68
24FPS

Not at all - just saying that just as DVDs changed the game as you pointed out, the game is changing again.

dvds for things like concerts will be around at least 4 more years. for movies and stuff though i'd say 2017 it starts to die

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: June 4, 2015 08:50

It has been dying since 1980...¨The Live Albums decade was the seventies...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: June 4, 2015 17:01

Happy Jack
Tate
To the contrary, I think the "live album" is going through a sort of renaissance-like transformation. There has been a huge amount of live material released in recent years-- from the Stones, from Dylan, from loads of other bands... Live archives, new live material, and yes, there are those bands out there releasing every show. Dylan's bootleg series is absolutely brilliant, and the '75 set from that series is one of the best "live albums" I have ever heard. I think what we will be seeing less and less of is the live album that has been tinkered with, overdubs and extra crowd noise, etc, and more performances with blemishes intact. That is not to say the Rolling Stones will not tinker with future live releases, especially those that are from recent tours, but the live recordings we're getting these days are pretty fantastic. The Dead has an 80-disc/ 30-show retrospective coming in Sept! Soon the Stones will have nearly enough official material to assemble a show-from-each-tour box set... and I don't think that is a bad thing. Change is good!

But these are all archival releases. The Stones aren't going to release a live album in the spirit of Ya-Ya's. The last Stones live album, IMO, that was like Ya-Ya's was No Security and that was because it focused on rarities rather than war horses which made a unique album. Again, NEW liver albums are not being released for the same reasons they once were.

Yes, they are, but there are new live albums by other bands. Bjork puts out a really great live album after every tour, and My Morning Jacket put out a good live album a few years ago, as did Wilco. Tom Waits even released a live album just a couple years ago. Andrew Bird, David Byrne, Laurie Anderson all have live albums released post-90's. And these are just from my collection alone.. Live albums may not be quite as celebrated as they once were, because they were once more of a rare and special occasion, and today there are a lot more live recordings floating around. But the 'live album' still lives.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 4, 2015 17:52

There is a divide in the entire industry. It's called the 1980s, the latter part of the decade anyway, when some bands/artists started using studio recordings and their own samples to support the live show. Aerosmith is the most perfect example of that - to which they have done for years.

To get a live album from Janet Jackson or Taylor Swift or loads of other pop acts is hilarious. All the vocals for the concert are studio recordings already. So they wouldn't need to do overdubs...

As bad as some of the Stones' live albums have been they're almost necessary to have as a fan. FLASHPOINT is worth it for Start Me Up, regardless of the solo being an overdub, and Sad Sad Sad. The rest sucks and is necessary to listen to once in a while understand the band's timeline. LOVE YOU LIVE is just horrible - even entertaining at times, like Brown Sugar and JJF - and awesome: horrible is just about everything except Honky Tonk Women and side 3. STILL LIFE is excellent as is GYYYO! and now, fortunately, LIVE IN TEXAS. NO SECURITY is pretty good and LIVE LICKS is worth it only for disc 2.

Is the live album dead? I doubt it. People still buy old albums. Just because they didn't chart or sell X amount upon release doesn't mean there isn't interest.

Date: June 4, 2015 17:56

GasLightStreet
There is a divide in the entire industry. It's called the 1980s, the latter part of the decade anyway, when some bands/artists started using studio recordings and their own samples to support the live show. Aerosmith is the most perfect example of that - to which they have done for years.

To get a live album from Janet Jackson or Taylor Swift or loads of other pop acts is hilarious. All the vocals for the concert are studio recordings already. So they wouldn't need to do overdubs...

As bad as some of the Stones' live albums have been they're almost necessary to have as a fan. FLASHPOINT is worth it for Start Me Up, regardless of the solo being an overdub, and Sad Sad Sad. The rest sucks and is necessary to listen to once in a while understand the band's timeline. LOVE YOU LIVE is just horrible - even entertaining at times, like Brown Sugar and JJF - and awesome: horrible is just about everything except Honky Tonk Women and side 3. STILL LIFE is excellent as is GYYYO! and now, fortunately, LIVE IN TEXAS. NO SECURITY is pretty good and LIVE LICKS is worth it only for disc 2.

Is the live album dead? I doubt it. People still buy old albums. Just because they didn't chart or sell X amount upon release doesn't mean there isn't interest.

i agree with this analysis, but i consider GYYYO as heads and shoulders above the rest, i would consider it to be one of the essential 5 or 6 stones albums every fan, no matter how casual, should have and have listened to.

Date: June 4, 2015 18:16

I love all of the pre-90's Stones live albums... They each have a different kind of incredible energy, overdubs, edits and all. While the performances vary (for example, I am not fond of Mick's barking on Still Life, and some of LYL is pretty sloppy, but I still love the overall atmosphere of the initial four live albums.) Flashpoint is nice, imo, for Factory Girl and Ruby Tuesday.. I like Keith's harmony on RT and Factory Girl was a real gem at the time, and an interesting arrangement.BUT... That is the beginning of the era of everything being choreographed and timed and the cleaned up guitar sound and Mick's safer vocal performances. No Security and Live Licks to me are just not fun to listen to more than once.. There is just very little about that sound that I like. Things get safer and safer on stage as the years go by, for the most part... The solos are weaker, the high vocal notes are fewer and more Bernard/Lisa dominated, and Charlie's drums are slightly more mailed in these days, imo. I only like them for the occasional rarely played track. But Satisfaction, HTW, Tumbling Dice, etc, puh-leeeaze! Enough already. Nothing new has been done to those songs in decades.

Here is NME's 50 Best list, and there are some contemporary live albums on this list that I didn't even know existed.

[www.nme.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-04 19:47 by Tate.

Date: June 4, 2015 18:32

FLASHPOINT is from 1991... but you included it in your pre-90's bit? I suppose it is a pre-90's since the 1980s ended in 1990.

Date: June 4, 2015 18:54

No, I mentioned Flashpoint as the first album that was absent of that energy the pre-90's albums had. By pre-90's, I meant 'Got Live..', Ya Ya's, LYL, and Still Life.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-04 18:56 by Tate.

Posted by: erbissell ()
Date: June 4, 2015 18:56

Eric Church (I know, current country singer...bring on the hate) released a live album last year that went #3 and #5 on the country and US album sales charts.
Ive been really digging his music lately, he definitely doesn't fit the mold of what has been coming out of Nashville lately. It shows because he's gotten to play with everyone from Levon Helm's band to the Allman Brothers and the Dead. His live show is definitely a unique experience, openers for his last tour have been Dwight Yoakam, Brandy Clark and some modern rock acts.
Live albums in country are not common or popular generally, but it is fairly common for a singer or band to include a couple live tracks at the end of an album, or as part of a deluxe edition.

Date: June 4, 2015 18:59

Tate
No, I mentioned Flashpoint as the first album that was absent of that energy the pre-90's albums had. By pre-90's, I meant 'Got Live..', Ya Ya's, LYL, and Still Life.

You never ended your parenthetical part!

I finally figured out what you meant though.

Date: June 4, 2015 19:47

Ha, you are right.... You are a tough critic, GasLight. I shall edit and insert that missing item. It is, I admit, an important piece of punctuation that more than excuses the misunderstanding. My fault!! ;^)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-04 19:48 by Tate.

Date: June 4, 2015 20:31

Ah ha ha ha ha. I read it and then noticed it. Where does it end!!??? AUGHHHHH!

Unless I didn't see it. Was it really missing? Sometimes things are hard to see for some reason.

Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: June 4, 2015 20:42

No, the DEAD album is LIVE

Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: June 4, 2015 20:44

tomcasagranda
80 CDs of The Grateful Dead coming out in September 2015, by Rhino. I'd say very much alive.

Now THAT is frightening

Date: June 4, 2015 22:32

Stones50
tomcasagranda
80 CDs of The Grateful Dead coming out in September 2015, by Rhino. I'd say very much alive.

Now THAT is frightening

Every time I think a Stones fan is pitiful for going to every concert and hearing practically the same set over and over, I'm reminded of Grateful Dead fans. Hell, they even go see the crappy splinter groups after Garcia died. Oh the patchouli and crappy acid for the their 'last' concerts in Santa Clara and Chicago this summer! Roll away that f-ing dew....

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1261
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home