Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Video: Do College Students Know Who McCartney and Jagger Are?
Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: February 8, 2015 18:06

My IORR friends, we are fortunate to have lived the greatest era in earth's history. I have no clue of the future but we have seen the best of best. There will never again be great music equivalent

I'm talking Stones, Ruffin, Pendergrass, Bowie, Bruce.... on and on.

Our Legacy will live forever!

Posted by: RomanCandle ()
Date: February 8, 2015 18:49

Chris Fountain
My IORR friends, we are fortunate to have lived the greatest era in earth's history. I have no clue of the future but we have seen the best of best. There will never again be great music equivalent

I'm talking Stones, Ruffin, Pendergrass, Bowie, Bruce.... on and on.

Our Legacy will live forever!

The 1960s-1970s are overrated, imo. smiling bouncing smiley
You wasn't even born when Fauré wrote this. The most moving piece of music ever written.

That being said, there are many albums I'm looking forwards to in 2015.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: February 8, 2015 18:59

winter
Just for perspective, let the record be clear to those not living in America (and even those living in the US), that GMU, the university profiled in the video, is ranked the 3rd most conservative college/university in the whole damn country. These are not average American kids by any stretch. That's not to say that you wouldn't get a lot of the same blank-faced answers from kids at other colleges, but you surely wouldn't get as many.

Me thinks you generalize way too much here, Winter. I doubt it would be any better at most other colleges. It's a bit disconcerting, considering that we all live and breath all things related to the Stones and certainly know a heck of a lot about Macca. But, I agree with tatters that it isn't suprising. I thought the kids answers were kinda sweet, they certainly weren't at all embarrassed to admit their ignorance. I am sure most of us would flunk a test like that on current musicians.

At any rate, there is at least one GMU student that knows who they are...ME! smiling smiley

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: February 8, 2015 19:05

Stoneage
Sure, tatters. They don't have to like them but you might argue that it's common knowledge to at least recognize the names Jagger and McCartney.

Yeah, I guess when I was in college, I had heard the names Glenn Miller and Benny Goodman, but I knew nothing about them, and didn't want to know anything about them. That was my parents music. I had my own heroes. See?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-08 19:05 by tatters.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 8, 2015 19:31

Basically, I don't think it matters what you ask these college students. Whether it's about pointing out USA on a map or knowing who Margaret Thatcher was or whatever.
They seem to able to answer the question which their majors and minors are though. Not much else. But I'm sure they are having a great time anyway...

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 8, 2015 20:39

Yeah Bloomer, but I'm sure these kids feel superior to those kids who aren't lucky enough to have parents ready to support their education. In the end it raises the question what colleges are for.
Is it for actually learning something or is it just a social marker and a big kindergarten for young adults?

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: February 9, 2015 00:05

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-28 15:17 by camper88.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: February 9, 2015 02:11

The lumbersexuals have taken over. And if you have to look it up then you are not with it. I only learned the term five days ago myself.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: February 9, 2015 02:22

MileHigh
The lumbersexuals have taken over. And if you have to look it up then you are not with it. I only learned the term five days ago myself.

Well I had to look it up , I may not be with it but I'm probably it. peace

Posted by: alieb ()
Date: February 9, 2015 04:34

not sure if this makes things any better or worse, but I'm currently a university student and it's very "cool" to be into 60s/70s rock music... the fashions from then are also very in at the moment-- however, vintage band tshirts have become kind of like a pattern/design... i know a lot of people who wear shirts with the stones logo who couldn't tell you who Mick Jagger was

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: February 9, 2015 05:25

Well, about the US market let's see:

Last Stones #1 song: Miss You (37 years ago)
Last Stones #1 album: Tattoo You (34 years ago)
Last Stones top 10: Mixed Emotions (26 years ago)
Last Stones top 40: Rock and a Hard Place (26 years ago)
Last Stones top 100: Saint of Me (17 years ago)
Last Stones top 20 rock hit: Saint Of Me (17 years ago)
Last Stones ALBUM and Top 10 album: ABB (10 years ago)

Are we surprised with these facts?
The music world changed "a little bit" during the last 10-15 years isnt it? let alone 25-30 years when the Stones were still a current act releasing new music every 3 or 4 years and not a 90% retired act playing for corporate audiences charging $400 tickets to play 40-50 years old songs.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: February 9, 2015 05:43

Today's college kids weren't even born when the Michael Jackson "super boom" took place. It's the political quiz clip that is the really scary one.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 9, 2015 05:53

<<Today's college kids weren't even born when the Michael Jackson "super boom" took place.>>

They did the same kinds of interviews with college kids back then as well, and were amazed by the results.

They asked two collegiate students: "Do you know about the electoral college?"

Answer: "I don't know, is it around here? We're from out of town."

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: February 9, 2015 08:22

Average SAT for the 133 most popular entries for "favorite music" on facebook.grinning smiley

Stones music must be for the common man.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: February 9, 2015 08:31

That is classic Toru A! Nice to see The Counting Crows near the top. peace

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 9, 2015 09:03

Oboy! I thought I saw Beach-pictures! Here's my contribution:

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: February 9, 2015 10:48

First of all, I bet this whole thing is staged. Even if not, it tells me more about the college students than about the real popularity of McCartney or Jagger. Plus if you ask 100 people a simple question, you will always get some unbelievably silly answers. I am sure that those are not all the "college students" they asked. It is a selection of the worst. Again - if the whole thing is not completely staged.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-09 11:00 by Happy24.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: February 9, 2015 10:57

tatters
I'm GLAD these kids don't give a flying f--- about the Beatles and the Stones. Why should they? They need to find their own heros, even if we think they suck.

I am not ashamed I know who Bach or Mozart were and I don't think it proves I am not able to find my own heros. I surprisingly even know who for instance George Washington was, eventhough he had nothing to do with our country or he had no direct impact on my personal life. I even know a thing or two about such unimportant people like @#$%&, Stalin, I know who Hemingway was and...I would be able to name maybe 2 or 3 more people that don't belong to my generation, but I still have sort of heard of them smiling smiley I guess I should graduate (again) right away.

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: February 9, 2015 13:54

IGNORANCE ASIDE,IF THEY DONT SPEND TIME ON MESSAGE BOARDS WHEN THEY GET OLDER,THAT'S PROGRESS.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1517
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home