Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Video: Streets Of Love (Parody)
Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: February 1, 2015 15:09

Doxa
JJHMick
Doxa
RoughJusticeOnYa
JJHMick
Everyone who likes Hard Woman and Old Habits Die Hard CANNOT DISLIKE Streets of Love.

...Or Angie, for that matter.

Does that mean that if one likes one ballad one needs to like all ballads...?

In my opinion, "Angie" belongs to very different category than any of those other songs mentioned... A bit like "Jumpin' Jack Flash" compared to "Fight"...

- Doxa

There are different kinds of ballads written by Mick. I hear a relationship in Streets of Love, Hard Woman and Old Habits Die Hard in the way Mick sings them. Out of Tears also belongs in here.
I'm sure you can find similar chord changes too. There's also a similar change odf 'drama' from verse to chorus, isn't it?
Angie has complete sentences, the others more or less brief phrases. As far as I know the music of Angie was done by Keith anyway.

Very good observations. I think we should not underestimate Keith's contribution in "Angie". It is the natural melodic sense, with, yeah, complete sentences going along with the 'natural' flow of melody (and that wonderful chord sequence), we still there can hear as we earlier had heard in, say, "As Tears Go By" and "Ruby Tuesday" (unfortunately Keith also seem to lost that ability later). Mick's latter day ballads, starting probably in "Out of Tears" just don't 'flow' so naturally, and are typically, like you said, made of brief phrases, and also of rather schematic melodic ideas. To my ears they tend to sound a bit artificial or thin.

"Angie" is to me a perfect product of the traditional Glimmer Twins teamwork at its best - Keith giving the base, the feel and the clues, Mick continuing there and driving the song into perfection.

Anyway, that said, I still remeber when VOODOO LOUNGE was released, and its 'retro' nature quickly recognized. "Out of Tears" was seen as a modern day equavalent to "Angie", representing that era or style, Mick rediscovering that vulnerable voice again. Could be. but there are considerable differencies.

- Doxa

Thank you very much, a compliment back to you. Especially the word 'schematic' hits the point. The verses are stiff whereas Angie has a 'natural flow'.
Somehow I have a quotation in mind that Chuck Leavell mentioned regarding Out of Tears that Mick has a 'funny way of playing the piano' or something like that.
Are all these 'latter day ballads' written on the piano and not on the guitar which I'm sure Mick's favourite instrument is to compose with?!
Mick can play the piano but he is no pianist in the usual sense. If you are a beginner or a person who rarely plays an instrument you tend to play schematic to avoid mistakes. You're sorting out where to put the fingers for the next bar already before. You're stressing the notes/chords not to lose the rhythm.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1800
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home