Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Do you think that some Stones "political lyrics" have been proved "prophetic"?
Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: July 1, 2005 14:31

I say yes. For example the lurics of Rock And A Hard Place:
"This talk of freedom
and human rights
Means bullying and private wars and chucking all the dust into our eyes"

In 1989 and so "prophetic", especialy this "private wars"...

(Yes, the information about a "political song" on the new album influenced my thoughts and memories...)

Any thoughts?

Re: Do you think that some Stones "political lyrics" have been proved "prophetic"?
Posted by: apolodoro ()
Date: July 1, 2005 22:46

Prophets... is that a joke?
We must name prophets to Karl Marx, Rose Luxemburg, or Mijail Bakunin. But the stones as a revolutionary force is almost a funny topic. It's only commercial music, donot forget it. COMMERCIAL, a part of the neoliberal society model. Maybe if they would offer 50 free gigs I could say they are doing a political manifesto. Otherways, we, the happy consumers, may enjoy their music.

Re: Do you think that some Stones "political lyrics" have been proved "prophetic"?
Posted by: BOBM ()
Date: July 1, 2005 23:08

I hope the line in I Go Wild "....with @#$%& like knives" is not prophetic ! That would hurt.

Date: July 1, 2005 23:27

Profitably prophetic. Controversy moves product.

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Posted by: john r ()
Date: July 2, 2005 18:39

In a broader sense some of their music is prophetic as any creative popular art, for example - 2000 Man, Gimmie Shelter, I Am Waiting, Something Happened to Me Yesterday, Winning Ugly etc. And though they are hardly political 'revolutionaries' their pre-movement dissection of sexual (& class) politics in song has been championed by feminists like Ellen Goodman & Camille Paglia. Why not? They are both 'popular' (commercial) & 'artists', not just entertainers.

Posted by: Pserchia ()
Date: July 2, 2005 21:24

I may be going way out on a limb on this point, but didn't Sympathy for the Devil originally make reference to only one Kennedy being killed?

As I understand it, Sympathy was recorded at Olympic from June 4 through June 10, 1968. When RFK was shot on June 5, the reference to Kennedy in Sympathy for the Devil was changed to Kennedys.

I haven't seen the Godard film for years. Maybe it's documented there.

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: July 3, 2005 22:26

Apolorado, who is talking about "prophets" ? Noone. I mention "prophetic lyrics". Huge difference...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1628
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home