Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Where do they keep their instruments?
Posted by: open-g ()
Date: December 4, 2014 22:25

Naturalust
Mathijs
TheGreek
by your own count is that not more than 2-4 instruments for Keith ? that was my whole point !

I think we are a bit lost in translation. I meant 2 to 4 guitars per show and even tour. I still find it amazing for example that he basically used 3 guitars for the entire 1972 tour, and 3 guitars for the 1973 European tour. From 1969 until date he basically selects one guitar for standard tuning and 2 or 3 for open tuning. I find that amazing, for a guitarist of his stature. Go to an Aerosmith or Black Crowes show and you'll see a new guitar for each of the 25 songs, and the next show another 25.

Mathijs

Yeah but to be fair you are talking about completely different eras. Back in 1972 and 1973 I doubt many bands used more than the minimum guitars they needed to get through the show. Starting in the late 70's and continuing to present day we see guitarists bringing more axes on the stage and changing them out more often.

I remember seeing a Cheap Trick show from the late 70's and counting about 20 guitars on stands on stage and thinking, why does he need so many of 'em?

peace

Did you count this one as #15 or #20?

Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: December 4, 2014 22:31

I bet the Rolling Stones "organization" owns all of these guitars as well. If saw ronnie "owned" his zemaitis then if he was ever sued or divorced technically the guitar could be sold or taken from his position. I think this would be true for all the instruments. As mentioned above there is no telling how many guitars and drums and amps and basses they own. The liability of having 100 vintage and historic alone would be astronomical.

Go Dawgs!

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 4, 2014 22:32

Naturalust
Mathijs
TheGreek
by your own count is that not more than 2-4 instruments for Keith ? that was my whole point !

I think we are a bit lost in translation. I meant 2 to 4 guitars per show and even tour. I still find it amazing for example that he basically used 3 guitars for the entire 1972 tour, and 3 guitars for the 1973 European tour. From 1969 until date he basically selects one guitar for standard tuning and 2 or 3 for open tuning. I find that amazing, for a guitarist of his stature. Go to an Aerosmith or Black Crowes show and you'll see a new guitar for each of the 25 songs, and the next show another 25.

Mathijs

Yeah but to be fair you are talking about completely different eras. Back in 1972 and 1973 I doubt many bands used more than the minimum guitars they needed to get through the show. Starting in the late 70's and continuing to present day we see guitarists bringing more axes on the stage and changing them out more often.

I remember seeing a Cheap Trick show from the late 70's and counting about 20 guitars on stands on stage and thinking, why does he need so many of 'em?

peace

That's true, the era's are different. But I just don't see much proof Richards ever was a collector. And the early 1970's is where the collecting of guitars started, with people like Graham Nash building vast collections of pre-war Martins, and guitarists looking for '59 Les Pauls. Richards settled for a brand new Tele Custom and a cheap LP Junior in 1975, because he favoured sound over collectabillity it seems.

Mathijs

Date: December 4, 2014 22:37

RockinJive
TheGreek
Mathijs totally wrong about Keith and the amount of instruments used live on stage between 69-89 . Keith used more than 2-4 instruments per show . sometimes i wonder how you make this stuff up .our eyes do not lie to us and i am sure there are others here that will verify this as FACT.

I noticed too about this person. seams to make things up all the time. I laugh when he talks about sending emails to Pierre.

You forgot this thread already?

I asked Pierre and he answered 'Darryl Jones'. That's all the information I have.

Mathijs

well, pretty short and cryptic question & answer , but Mathijs is right on spot.

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: December 5, 2014 00:24

varilla
Always been a mystery. Where is Micawber normally? Where are all these famous guitars? Do they keep them at home and bring them every time they get together? Is CharlieĀ“s Gretsch in his house or in a warehouse or deposit?
The amps, the cymbals, where are they kept? Who takes care of them?

Their garage

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 5, 2014 02:59

Mathijs
Naturalust
Mathijs
TheGreek

Mathijs

peace

That's true, the era's are different. But I just don't see much proof Richards ever was a collector. And the early 1970's is where the collecting of guitars started, with people like Graham Nash building vast collections of pre-war Martins, and guitarists looking for '59 Les Pauls. Richards settled for a brand new Tele Custom and a cheap LP Junior in 1975, because he favoured sound over collectabillity it seems.

Mathijs

Yes that sounds right. But, I think just by being Keith Richards he has become a somewhat reluctant collector. Guitar and amp makers are likely giving him quite a bit of gear with the hope he will like it and use it in performances, thus increasing the value of the brand significantly.

I imagine Keith is still trying to find the guitars that were lost in the theft at Nellcote.

I still find it amazing that the early Fenders and Gibsons got the formula down so well that they really haven't been improved much in all these years. Although I have played a lot of newer not so well known guitars that are just as good, imo. Of course age and playing them does allow the guitars to settle into their equilibrium and seems to improve the consistency and play-ability. peace

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: December 5, 2014 04:20

TheGreek
RockinJive
TheGreek
Mathijs totally wrong about Keith and the amount of instruments used live on stage between 69-89 . Keith used more than 2-4 instruments per show . sometimes i wonder how you make this stuff up .our eyes do not lie to us and i am sure there are others here that will verify this as FACT.

I noticed too about this person. seams to make things up all the time. I laugh when he talks about sending emails to Pierre.
very good observation . to use his own word about Pierre PURE BOLLOCKS . Send me your questions and i will forward them to Pierre and he will answer them for us . yeah right .what a laugh . dont make promises that will not be kept , after the question stuff when we never got answers i asked what about Pierre and our question , to which the above mentioned responded oh the stones are on tour and Pierre is BUSY . yeah okay .

I too have been calling out this guy for a long time. "I'll send and email to Pierre". Yeah right...I'm glad that TheGreek can see this also.

Date: December 5, 2014 05:19

More Hot Rocks
TheGreek
RockinJive
TheGreek

very good observation . to use his own word about Pierre PURE BOLLOCKS . Send me your questions and i will forward them to Pierre and he will answer them for us . yeah right .what a laugh . dont make promises that will not be kept , after the question stuff when we never got answers i asked what about Pierre and our question , to which the above mentioned responded oh the stones are on tour and Pierre is BUSY . yeah okay .

I too have been calling out this guy for a long time. "I'll send and email to Pierre". Yeah right...I'm glad that TheGreek can see this also.

Does that mean, I can rely on you guys, asking Pierre some questions, ..... and getting some answers?

Ok then, I'll be here all week. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-06 15:03 by open-g.

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: December 6, 2014 08:00

nankerphlege
I bet the Rolling Stones "organization" owns all of these guitars as well. If saw ronnie "owned" his zemaitis then if he was ever sued or divorced technically the guitar could be sold or taken from his position. I think this would be true for all the instruments. As mentioned above there is no telling how many guitars and drums and amps and basses they own. The liability of having 100 vintage and historic alone would be astronomical.

My gut feeling is that you nailed it on the head. Makes sense.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: December 6, 2014 09:48

Where does Buddy Guy keep the guitar Keith gave him in Shine a Light?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-06 23:42 by Title5Take1.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 6, 2014 10:30

open-g
RockinJive
TheGreek

You forgot this thread already?

I asked Pierre and he answered 'Darryl Jones'. That's all the information I have.

Mathijs

well, pretty short and cryptic question & answer , but Mathijs is right on spot.

[www.iorr.org]

I forgot about that thread! Great somebody contacted Darryl.

Mathijs

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 6, 2014 10:37

Mathijs

It is very unfortunate Pierre chose not to answer the list of questions I sent him. I do not know why -maybe the list was too long, maybe he was not allowed too for whatever reason. I do not know the reason.

Mathijs

Thx for the reply! At least you tried to get genuine info from the "source"...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-06 10:38 by dcba.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1444
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home