Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Place Pigale
Posted by: stonefan ()
Date: June 23, 2005 09:56

thanks I have them.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 23, 2005 12:20

Gazza Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> those songs were left off albums for one simple
> reason in most cases - they werent good enough.
>
> theres a certain 'forbidden fruit' appeal to
> almost every Stones outtakes which make people
> think they're wonderful BECAUSE they werent
> released. in the vast majority of cases, if those
> songs had appeared on an official release in the
> form that we've heard them, the Stones would have
> rightly been pilloried.
>
> they're curiosity pieces in most cases, and rarely
> anything more

Well, for some of the outtakes I'd agree, but there's plenty of terrific songs out there that weren't released because they didn't fit in the concept of a album, or sounded to simular to another song, or where outdated before they even got released, or sounded too much like another artist, or simply were trials that were un-Stonesy, or where simply forgotten. But whatever the reason was not to release or finish a song, there are some gems out there: Fast Talking, Gansters Maul, Do You Think I Care, Fiji Jim, Claudine, Seperately, Apartment No.9, Jah is not Dead, and this list can go on to at least 4 CD's worth of releasing as an Anthology set.

Mathijs

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 23, 2005 14:45

they're ok as an "Anthology" type collection of outtakes, but I dont think (as the original post seemed to suggest) that hardly any of them were worthy of release on a studio album - unless there's more finished and polished versions of some of those songs that havent circulated (which is of course quite probable). I certainly dont think any song with unfinished lyrics or a guide vocal is worthy of release at any time.

In actual fact, in some ways its a tribute to the Stones' sense of judgement that there isnt a lot of great 'nuggets' in the archives. It shows that they knew what was worthy of release and what wasnt. When I listen to Springsteen's "Tracks" and Dylan's "Bootleg Series" boxed sets, you have to question their sanity on deeming songs like "This Hard Land" or "Blind Willie McTell" as not worthy of release on albums where not only would they have fitted from a conceptual point of view but where far inferior songs were included instead. There isnt really that much in the Stones list of outtakes that screams at you "how the HELL could they NOT have released that on the album it was recorded for.." (with the exception of some of the Emotional Rescue stuff)

Do You think I Really Care is a cracking song. I'd love to have heard a final take of that one

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: June 23, 2005 15:01

What a weird thread. It's like trying to grab a slimy slippery octopus in your hands. Every once ina while you get that fuckign thing tamed and quiet, then it gets away from you again and starts spattering shit all over the walls again.
For what it's worth I too say that Gazza is one of the most knowledgeable, coolest Stoners on the Net.
I'm jst surprised no one has come out so far and posted "Brothers and sisters, who is fighting and what for?" LOL Every damn time there is an argument going on ,there's got to be some bozo who has to quote Jagger from Altamont.

Posted by: KeithRichards ()
Date: June 23, 2005 15:23

I was about to post that now Chelsea winking smiley

I know Gazza and he's, needless to say, a very cool, reasonable fan and he knows more about the Stones than most people...
I also know Pascal as a very nice person who provides great bootlegs for fellow stones fans - needless to say he's cool to smiling smiley

So the fight basis on a misunderstanding I guess smiling smiley

Date: June 23, 2005 15:27

I think we've all got over the temporary 'spat' long ago, guys and got back on topic, but thanks anyway..lol

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: June 23, 2005 15:41

Can anyone make a SINGLE album out of these outtakes?

Here's my suggestion (obviously for release they would be overdubbed and finished off properly, but the bare bones are there)...

Side 1:
Living in the Heart of Love (Good opening riff)
You Should Have Seen Her Ass (Continue with classic rock n roll to get em hooked)
No Spare Parts (A nice bit of country - better than Indian Girl)
Save Me (back on track with a rocker)
Fast Talking (kind of builds up a bit to end side 1, but needs killer lead guitar hook on the end)

Side 2:
Drift Away (I just love this song)
So Young (I just couldn't leave this one out)
Never Make Me Cry (Again, this would be great with nice guitar solo on end)
Shame Shame Shame (This could so easily have been on debut album - back to roots)
Act Together (OK, so Ron did a good version on IGMOATD, but this would be a wicked final song - Mick/Keith harmonies + gospel B/vox)

Now that would be a good album. OK so its no Tatoo You as it stands, but with a little work...

Date: June 23, 2005 16:05

Lorenz,
I always appreciate people like you who try to cool others down.
I don't want to start a fight cos it's not a habit to me but when someone like gazza is able to call someone he does not know "d...head" and when you read his following messages in which you can see a lot of arrogance, then, there's something wrong with him...
that's it !!

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: June 23, 2005 17:05

sjs12,
I like your selections. To Gazza;a point, I meant that with work these songs would make a good disc. I would need to include Separately on your disc. For some reason, that song is stuck in my mind right now.

Date: June 23, 2005 17:14

stonefan Wrote:
> Lorenz,
> I always appreciate people like you who try to
> cool others down.
> I don't want to start a fight cos it's not a habit
> to me but when someone like gazza is able to call
> someone he does not know "d...head" and when you
> read his following messages in which you can see a
> lot of arrogance, then, there's something wrong
> with him...
> that's it !!

a case of the pot calling the kettle black, mate, not to mention selective memory loss. I called you a "dickhead" AFTER you'd insulted me to begin with.

you first of all chose to get involved in a meaningless and light hearted difference of opinion between Cafaro and myself which had nothing to do with you to begin with and started to make personal remarks and judgements about someone you dont know - and a day later you still persist in doing so when everyone else seems to have tried to forget about it.

so much for someone "who doesnt want to start a fight" ...

To me, thats a good definition of a dickhead, amongst other things. Get over yourself.

but hey, if you want to persist with the lies and insults, I'll keep replying....

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2005-06-23 17:18 by Gazza.

Date: June 23, 2005 17:20

I simply hope that people will see how pretentious stupid vulgar and rude person you are !!
read yourself back !!

Posted by: Bärs ()
Date: June 23, 2005 17:21

You're a dickhead stonefan but thanks for all good bootlegs smiling smiley

Date: June 23, 2005 17:23

another monster, Bârs !!

Date: June 23, 2005 17:29

stonefan Wrote:
> I simply hope that people will see how pretentious
> stupid vulgar and rude person you are !!
> read yourself back !!

here you go, stonefan :

now I suggest you go and phone someone who gives a fúck...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-06-23 17:29 by Gazza.

Date: June 23, 2005 17:32

by the way, bärs, who hides behind this nickname ?
so that everyone knows who you are .

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: June 23, 2005 17:37

That was classic Gazza. Now back to my original point. Mathijs pretty much summed up my thoughts. It's also pretty cool to hear the unreleased material because sometimes you can hear snippets of songs that were eventually released.

Date: June 23, 2005 17:44

This is a good thread. We need more fights, that is more political discussions and personal attacks.

Anyway, your site stonefan is a blessing for us who are too lazy to trade.

Fast talking sounded like a Beatles rip off but the rest was good (not everything was new to me of course). I was reminded again about what a great song I Need You is. I dig that piano sound heavily.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: June 23, 2005 17:49

I cant realize why some go ashore with calling others
real bad names - without apologizing - while others have
to walk the Punish Road or step out in the chill for the same thing.

Gazza, I really think you ought to soften down a piece for our good man
J-P. You fall in a very bad light yourself. What he posted is way out of proportion related to your mean reactions.
You may have a high rank in these cirles, but you aint God.

JP, I usually like your style & even more like your deeds;
but you should maybe try to choose your words as well,
and watch the Ulsterman´s temper.

Now smoke the peace-spliff, pleaaaase!

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: June 23, 2005 18:01

Who's fighting and what for? Who wants to fight?

Date: June 23, 2005 18:04

Baboon Bro,
You're a wise man, like an adult should be ! that's what I am too !
it's not everybody's case here, unfortunately ! there is not much I can do for that.
I like people who have temper but who are civilized too ! it's not incompatible !

Date: June 23, 2005 18:13

Baboon Bro Wrote:
> >
> Gazza, I really think you ought to soften down a
> piece for our good man
> J-P. You fall in a very bad light yourself. What
> he posted is way out of proportion related to your
> mean reactions.
> You may have a high rank in these cirles, but you
> aint God.

>
Uh, I never claimed to be any more 'special' than anyone else here. theres no such thing as a "high rank" in my book. I was happy enough to put an end to this yesterday evening as can quite clearly be seen by the tongue in cheek nature of some of my posts around that time, but I'll be damned if I'm going to take that level of shit and snide remarks from someone over and over without responding to it.

Date: June 23, 2005 19:45

you can respond without any kind of vulgarity and rudeness..then, it would be more pleasant to read for everyone...do you understand that ?

"This is a good thread. We need more fights, that is more political discussions and personal attacks" (bärs dixit)
"You're a dickhead stonefan but thanks for all good bootlegs" (bärs dixit)

do we really need this kind of messages ??

Date: June 23, 2005 20:11

Do we really need messages by people without any sense of humour? You seem to have a hard time understanding jokes.

By the way, do you remember calling me an idiot last year? Analyse your own behaviour before you start commenting others.

Date: June 23, 2005 20:16

"You're a dickhead stonefan" ..that's exactly what you wrote didn't you ?
Great sense of humour and very subtle !! sorry not to understand this kind of joke.
last year, I called you idiot and you react only now ? a bit strange.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: June 23, 2005 20:22

Bloody hell guys, let's put the bashing to bed and get back to the original thread. I have been collecting Stones boots for years and thought I had heard practically every morsel of unreleased material. Then I listend to Place Pigale and heard some songs that I had never heard before, some of which were quite good. Always a joy to discover new Stones material and a thousand thanks to Stonesfan for making this stuff available! Now, let's all go down the virtual pub for a few comtemplative pints! Peace to you all!

Date: June 23, 2005 20:24

I follow you ChrisM !

Posted by: TeleK ()
Date: June 23, 2005 20:27

do you need some boots for your great page stonefan?
just mail me!
cu

-----------------------------------------------------
Oh, give me the beat, boys, and free my soul
I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away

Date: June 23, 2005 20:48

Why do you leave out the smiley and the fact that I actually thank you for your site? That puts it in another light, but perhaps you like being a martyr?

When I write about "personal attcks" etc, have you ever heard about irony? Perhaps it's true that irony is wasted on the stupid, because you must be very stupid if you don't see the irony in that post.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: June 23, 2005 20:57

Yep, Gazza, I saw you tried to make this bloody shite end last night.
Maybe we have to (sorry for referring to Christian stuff for the 2nd time at the same day) do like the Good Son does & plead for: [freely translated] "If thou are harmed, thou shalt forgive not seven times, but seven * seven".
Stop it again. Say pardon, monsieur.
I trust you Gaz; you´re a great guy.
And a 63:er; like me & Hairball. That would decide it, right?

Date: June 23, 2005 20:58

You seem to be unable to write a few words without being rude or insulting,
so, please ,stop talking to me all right ??!!! just ignore me !!

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2142
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home