Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Do people stand on chairs?
Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: June 22, 2005 14:16

The thing is in these huge shows with 90,000 people I might go for general admissions ON PAPER before I;m in there but once I'm deep in the melee I am cursing to myself:"Why can't they have numbered seats etc". Like latvian said, after the Who tragedy no one, especially not the Stones/Jagger/Cohl machine is going to risk soemthignlike that happening. It's probably not even possible with insurance people and safety commissioners.
One time in Philly at the stadium it got VERY rough. A girl I was with, a little girl got crushed against a concrete corner while we were all being funnelled through a tiny gate. I mean there were already about 40,000 people that were being corralled into two tiny little gates. It was crazy. And this was for the Stones. No one is going to politely step back and say "Oh please procceed..."
One time in the Dome in N.O. there was a riot on the floor. They stared spraying us with firehoses. Thia was during opening act. Once the Stones came on it all calmed down. Sometimes the security guys can save your ass. In a tight frenzied crowd it only takes one or two drunk rowdy @#$%& to start world war 3. Pandemonium.

Posted by: Debra ()
Date: June 22, 2005 15:17

Hey Chelsea,I had that same thing happen to me in Buffalo 1975. I was pushed up a wall because the exit off the floor( where there were NO SEATS, just G.A.) was so far away I couldn't get to it! THere were over 90,000 that night but what a show! I still will avoid ALL general Admission Stones events from now on but as was just pointed out, I think those days are over for them. They are too wise to allow a tragedy to occur.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: June 22, 2005 17:03

It tends to only be the States where the pitch is seated (the UK now too, judging by Twickenham). Maybe it says something about US audiences? Think Altamont... Or possibly to do with US litigation culture... or just that you can charge $450 per seat instead of $25 GA.

I think it also says something about the age of the average Stones fan now. Are there any under 30s out there who prefer seated as opposed to general admission?

Anyway, why would you want to stop GA tickets for those who want it that way, as opposed to having a mix of both? This is what has pissed me off more than anything, the insistance of people like Debra that just because they don't want to stand, it should be banned for everyone else, irrespective of what they want. No-one has said that they should ban all seats - I certainly would not be so selfish. Indeed, it makes sense to have these seats in the UK since all football stadiums have them installed in the stands anyway. Put a pitch is a pitch and should be reserved for those who want to party.

It must be better for the Stones to see a crowd of dancing jumping people up front having a good time rather than lines of seated fat businessmen rattling their money and politely clapping at the end of each song. If I played to an audience and they remained seated, I would hate it.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: June 22, 2005 19:49

You're kidding right? Are there actually Stones concerts where people on the floor are SITTING in their chairs??? In my original post, I just assumed that people at least would stand and dance, my only question was whether they stand on chairs or the floor.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: June 22, 2005 20:09

The Golden Circle plan works great. Those fans who get in line early are rewarded with a standing experience near the stage, and they don't get jammed by the surge of idiots to the stage just before the concert begins. Sure it gets packed in down there, but people expect this and it is no problem. It would work well in the States, but this continued reference to the Who debacle back in the late 70's keeps being discussed as relevant today. This notion is insane. Anyone who goes to Stones concerts knows that we are mostly people who are perhaps a little bit crazy in the age group 40-60. Most of us are middle aged for Christsakes. There simply is not as much mania at these concerts anymore. Let's get serious, there is no compariosn to the tours from over 20 years ago. Granted seats are great in theaters, auditoriums. No need to stand on these chairs anyway. I would like to see arena and outdoor shows with the main floor no seats and a golden circle fenced off are for those in line first. It will never happen in the USA of course, because the big money being made on the fat cats who are not really big fans make the Stones and scalpers all the money. This is why I like the German and other Euro shows best. Much more fan friendly and the prices are better as well.

Date: June 23, 2005 02:42

SJS, you amaze me! HOW RIDICULOUS to not even comprehend the subject matter! we were talking about STANDING ON CHAIRS not standing and dancing at our seats!And I take offense at your remarks because I enjoy my Stones concerts ALOT but do not want those who have NOT PAID TOP DOLLAR crowding me in my space by sneaking up to the front and standing in the aisles! Guards remove these folks, quickly, as they should! At the HBO EVENT IN JAN 2003, some kid asked if he could stay in my spot with me! I said NO WAY, I PAID $500 to enjoy my ENTIRE SPACE not be squeezed in with you, who obviously paid for a nosebleed!He was removed!And I AM THRILLED There are NO GA seats at Stones concerts anymore and guess what? Most sane fans agree the danger is too obvious and the chances of tragedy way too high.

Date: June 23, 2005 03:26

I must say Debra don't take it personal. Many fans like the general admission atmosphere. I understand though where you are coming from. Large men can make it difficult to enjoy the show from up close, but consider at most shows with Golden Circle you can stand or sit 15-30 meters away from the stage before the Stones come on, see really well and get away from the people that want to crush up as close to the stage as they can get. The best of all worlds is to offer shows with GA on the fields of selected stadium shows, and seats at others. Give the fans a choice. The point made about the fat cat non rocking fans sitting on the their asses is well taken as opposed to the GA shows where it turns the band on to see people up and dancing. I happen to prefer the freedom of the GA ticket sales as it is very much favors the long time and dedicated fans that are willing to invest the time to get a chosen vantage point to see and hear the band. GA ticket sales put all fans on the same level.

Date: June 23, 2005 04:43

Filstan, you seem like a very level-headed guy but you are over-looking the obvious danger and anytime there's GA you have that violent element who love to smash into folks as they jockey for position. VERY UNCIVILIZED! Now, picture a woman at such a show, alone, as I almost always am, trying to get close and see over the throng of, for the most part, tall, bullying guys! UGLY SCENE!The way you present your case, it would SEEM fine with me, but it NEVER IS! If you read my earlier posts, I have been almost killed if not seriously injured twice at STONES concerts and both times it was general admission on the stadium floor!( Buffalo, August 8, 1975 and Philly June of 1978.)I rest my case.

Date: June 23, 2005 05:34

A big long standing problem I am afraid is that Stones fans uh... aren't civilized in many cases. Shorter people up front get the short end of the stick in any situation where people are standing in seating ot standing areas. I try and watch out for shorter women at GA shows who are clearly in some distress due to the idiot factor. There will always be a few knucklheads who screw it up for others. Unfortunately, it is not a perfect world out there. I still see the concert scene as much more relaxed than it was 25-35 years ago. Sorry you have had some tough luck at some previous GA shows.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: June 23, 2005 08:29

OOH I see Debra talks about Philly 78 in the stadium. That was a battle. It was worth it, for me at least. But I am glad I made it out.
I do wish there was some middle ground though. During Lix I saw them a few times. In the USA the shows were so tame and civilized it was actually bad. You coudn't breathe without some housewife calling security on you. It sucked! Yes, it has tyo do with the average age of Stones audiences these days. But it still sucks.
Then I saw them in Barcelone the next year. What a show! I will never forget the Spanish crowds. Man what a blast! The know how to get down. Screw age, screw guards. There was no danger element. It was all about the right reasons: about music, singing, having a ball.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: June 23, 2005 12:01

I think Debra is taking my comments a bit too seriously (she even sent a follow up e-mail to my private address).

However, I now get the picture. From what I read, there is perhaps a different atmosphere in US GA shows to the European ones.

If I take the case of Stade de France 03, the audience was largely young in the GA area. There seemed to be no outrageous pushing or shoving (perhaps a bit of a rush when they came on, but not significant). People weer generally courteous and polite. If people couldn't see, then people generally tried to help them. People were dancing and singing and making connections - it was a shared experience. The same goes for the GA shows I have been to in Wembley - 95 and 99. And all this for £25. However, there were also thousands of people in the stalls who were quite content to have a seat and do their own thing - and at no point did I take exception to this. So how am I unreasonable when I am in favour of allowing both types of admission so that everyone can do their own thing?

So Debra, I should point out that I do not misunderstand what you are talking about. You have specifically stated that you are glad that GA is a thing of the past. I can understand your point about not wanting people standing on seats or coming into the aisles to dance, but I really don't see why you object to there being GA on the pitch and chairs in the stalls. It makes sense - I want to dance and move about so I by a GA ticket - you want to sit down so you buy a chair. The only possible reason for not wanting to give a CHOICE is that you are selfish.

Just because you have many thousands of dollars to spend on the Stones, you assume that that sort of money is available to everyone. Never mind that $500 is probably the monthly wage for many people - who also have families to support. Remember when you rattle your jewlery that some people are quite literally starving - not just in Africa but also in USA and Europe. Americans often say that the UK has a "class" problem. However, from what I see, it is the other way around. Now you might say that this is besides the point, but it isn't. You are using the excuse that because you pay obscene amounts of money for a ticket, then you are OK and the hell with everyone else. You no longer need to use GA because you can afford to spend the money - even if you work really hard and get into debt, which just isn't an option for some.

Date: June 23, 2005 14:11

Ah Yes Chelsea, a BATTLE it WAS and I am too old and choose not to DO BATTLE anymore, especially after paying months salary for tickets for the tour; I hung up my battle gear long ago. I want the comforts of a nice seat( WHICH I DO NOT SIT IN EXCEPT FOR KEITH'S SONGS) and the security of knowing I will not have battle scars to prove I am a tough Stones Fan!

Date: June 25, 2005 05:34

SJS, obviously you have a picture of me that is totally warped!! I am not rich, just not very fond of going to a Stones concert and having another out-of-control Stones fan ruin the experience for me. Selfish? I think not for you see I am very involved in the ONE program that is trying to feed the starving in Africa, which is totally off topic BUT NOT REALLY considering your image of me. I guess in England you have sections reserved for G.A. which we do not have in the USA and I can say THAT would not bother me at all, as long as my SEAT was AHEAD of the G.A section! I elect to save months in advance to purchase the best seats so I can ENJOY the shows to the best of my ability. The only thing I agree with you on is the OBSCENE PART! Ticket prices ARE indeed OBSCENE but I will elect to go to a few carefully selected shows, not that this is your business.So, SJS, I did not know what YOU were talking about because apparently England sets up the seating differently.And YOU did not know what I WAS TELLING YOU because WE do not have the choice of G.A or seats; it is one way or the other!So now what have you done to help the starving in Africa except rail against THE UGLY AMERICAN who you THINK rattles herjewelry??. It was cute when JOhn Lennon said it, boring coming from you.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1878
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home