Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: ARTICLE: How U2 Became The New Nickleback OT-stones content
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 26, 2014 18:58

Elmo Lewis
I like, even love, much of U2's music.

However, I don't like celebrities - no matter how much I might like their art - pretending to know what's right for all of us. Bruce, Fogerty, Neil, Jackson Browne, Mellencamp, etc., even Mick, get the clue. Bono is one of the worst at this.

I support the right for celebrities to have and even share their political beliefs.

I don't though like being beaten over the head with it, and I think that's where Bono has crossed the line...plus there is a fair bit of hypocrisy in his message.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: September 26, 2014 19:29

it's not easy to get the figures of the whole operation maybe this interview with Bono can give a clue

885 million iTunes accounts / 77 million who have actually downloaded the thing on their device

they are huge numbers anyway u look at them: 808 millions of users that have omitted/forgotten/refused to download the free thing. How many of them push their contempt for u2 to the point of wiping the thing completely from their cloud? We dont know, we can suppose not a few since Apple felt compelled to release a removal tool..

anyway, imo u2 have dried out after Achtung Baby. I saw them twice: in 1987 at their peak with Joshua Tree and in 1993 during the Zooropa tour, in that occasion they had Pearl Jam as opening act and after the show it was pretty clear to me who has been the main act that night

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-26 19:30 by maumau.

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: September 26, 2014 20:53

None of this is going to encourage Mick to release another album, ever.

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: September 26, 2014 21:09

treaclefingers
Elmo Lewis
I like, even love, much of U2's music.

However, I don't like celebrities - no matter how much I might like their art - pretending to know what's right for all of us. Bruce, Fogerty, Neil, Jackson Browne, Mellencamp, etc., even Mick, get the clue. Bono is one of the worst at this.

I support the right for celebrities to have and even share their political beliefs.

I don't though like being beaten over the head with it, and I think that's where Bono has crossed the line...plus there is a fair bit of hypocrisy in his message.

Agreed . Bruce is probably the biggest "offender' Limo Lib

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 26, 2014 21:31

A new U2 album that sucks + the Iph0ne 6 debacle = a terrible week for Apple.
Sometimes it's the best plans to turn to crap in the most spectacular way.

Tim Cook and Bono must be shaking their head in disbelief...

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: September 26, 2014 21:36

I was recently reading an authorized biography of Sean Penn, and guess who pops up? Bono.
He pops up everywhere, and I know it shouldn't matter, but it does have an affect on how I listen, or don't listen to U2 anymore.
Truth is, I haven't embraced a U2 album since Achtung Baby, their masterpiece.
And it's primarily because of Bono and his post-80s persona.
And I'm not a conservative, so its not his politics, so much as it is the ubiquity of his omnipresence. He shows up on a Sinatra doc, an Elvis doc, a Mandela doc, a Muscle Shoals doc, a Sean Penn bio etc..
And this thing where he's pals with everybody who has won an Oscar in the last 20 years.
It just comes off as ....I don't know, but I can't listen to U2 anymore.
Not too long ago, pondering this dilemma, I listened to Two Hearts from War, to see if it still would have that thing that made me feel the way it did. U2 was big for me..82-84, I mean seminal: I remember the first time I heard Sunday Bloody Sunday during a radio interview and they were talking about Nicaragua, and being in high school and feeling disenfranchised, as you do when you're 14, 15...thier passion, like the Clash, made me feel something and it was life-affirming in the midst of teenage trying-to-find-meaning-in-something-ness.
Why can't I get that back?
*sorry for the ramble, but U2 meant something to me once, and Bono makes it hard for me to hold onto that.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-26 21:40 by stupidguy2.

Date: September 26, 2014 21:37

dcba
A new U2 album that sucks + the Iph0ne 6 debacle = a terrible week for Apple.
Sometimes it's the best plans to turn to crap in the most spectacular way.

Tim Cook and Bono must be shaking their head in disbelief...

The collective 'empathy' I think we're all feeling about this is what the Germans cleverly call "schadenfreud".

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 26, 2014 21:52

stupidguy2
I was recently reading an authorized biography of Sean Penn, and guess who pops up? Bono.
He pops up everywhere, and I know it shouldn't matter, but it does have an affect on how I listen, or don't listen to U2 anymore.
And I'm not a conservative, so its not his politics, so much as it is the ubiquity of his omnipresence. He shows up on a Sinatra doc, an Elvis doc, a Mandela doc, a Muscle Shoals doc, a Sean Penn bio etc..
And this thing where he's pals with everybody who has won an Oscar in the last 20 years.
Not too long ago, pondering this dilemma, I listened to Two Hearts from War, to see if it still would have that thing that made me feel the way it did. U2 was big for me..82-84, I mean seminal: I remember the first time I heard Sunday Bloody Sunday during a radio interview and they were talking about Nicaragua, and being in high school and feeling disenfranchised, as you do when you're 14, 15...thier passion, like the Clash, made me feel something and it was life-affirming in the midst of teenage trying-to-find-meaning-in-something-ness.
*sorry for the ramble, but U2 meant something to me once, and Bono makes it hard for me to hold onto that.

Just be glad he's not Ted Nugent.

Date: September 26, 2014 21:57

GasLightStreet
stupidguy2

chortle

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 26, 2014 22:20

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
stupidguy2

chortle

The scary thing is I CAN imagine how awful it would be if Terrible Ted spoke anymore than he already does yet alone has the presence of Bono...

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: September 26, 2014 23:04

GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
stupidguy2

chortle

The scary thing is I CAN imagine how awful it would be if Terrible Ted spoke anymore than he already does yet alone has the presence of Bono...

Agreed that Ted's at least as big a blowhard as Bono. Agree with him or not, at least Ted walks his talk. So to speek.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: September 27, 2014 00:25

He rubs elbows with powerful people, the ones that can help him with the issues he believes in like AIDS, etc.

I give him an A+ for trying.

He could sit on his wealth and fame and not do anything to better mankind.

He would be the first person to tell you he has the same flaws as everyone else.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: September 27, 2014 01:30

What a great article; thanks for posting, treaclefingers! I love the phrase "mom rock"; that's exactly the right phrase to describe U2's music in the new millennium. Safe as milk, dull as dishwater, and pandering to the largest audience possible.

What's so sad is that this band used to be so damn passionate and exciting. Their early stuff ... culminating with Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby ... had such drive, and such majesty, it was breathtaking. And then it all dried up, while Bono's ego and smug self-righteousness ballooned.

Ultimately, though, I find this all to be immensely satisfying, because it proves once again who the real deal is. The Stones are way too smart, and way too talented, to suffer this kind of fall from grace. And the one misstep the article's author makes is to claim that people don't go to Stones concerts for the thrill of watching Mick Jagger in 2014. For many, that is EXACTLY why they go.

Drew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-27 01:31 by drewmaster.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 27, 2014 02:48

Odd article, doens't really go anywhere...

As for U2, I was a fan until POP, really liked that one, seems I'm in the minority there. Quite adventurous and some really good songs, like the Stones' 1997 effort, a good year that, eh ;-) After that I pretty much lost interest for some reason.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-27 17:36 by gotdablouse.

Date: September 27, 2014 06:05

drewmaster
What a great article; thanks for posting, treaclefingers! I love the phrase "mom rock"; that's exactly the right phrase to describe U2's music in the new millennium. Safe as milk, dull as dishwater, and pandering to the largest audience possible.

What's so sad is that this band used to be so damn passionate and exciting. Their early stuff ... culminating with Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby ... had such drive, and such majesty, it was breathtaking. And then it all dried up, while Bono's ego and smug self-righteousness ballooned.

Ultimately, though, I find this all to be immensely satisfying, because it proves once again who the real deal is. The Stones are way too smart, and way too talented, to suffer this kind of fall from grace. And the one misstep the article's author makes is to claim that people don't go to Stones concerts for the thrill of watching Mick Jagger in 2014. For many, that is EXACTLY why they go.

Drew

I think the problem was that after the overwhelming success of Achtung Baby, then didn't know where to go.

Kind of like the Stones after Exile.

The Stones made a 'come back' with Some Girls, and that was U2 with All That You Can't Leave Behind.

No Line On The Horizon was their Dirty Work.

The new album...maybe that's their Steel Wheels?

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: September 27, 2014 06:42

U2 sucks.

Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: September 27, 2014 06:51

dcba
Bono is dead.

He's now perceived as the mega deal-maker of the "U2 Inc." a guy who lives only with people from the 1% upper-crust.
Previously he was perceived as the rock-star useful idiot who shakes hands with war criminals (Blair and Bush Jr).

I'm not sure which one is the worse...

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: September 27, 2014 07:17

And Two Hearts still sounded great, and had that thing..

beachbreak,
I get that. The rubbing of shoulders with famous, powerful people to 'get things done'...
But like what these days?
The Live 8/G Summit thing, the sucking up to Blair...for what? What got done?
That whole thing seemed so misguided. Sometimes, when people who have that kind of power to influence, they get a little self-satisfied. Not saying he's not sincere, but I think the perception among many of us is that at some point, Bono started to revel in his messianic role...
As much as he seems to enjoy those Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous excursions on yachts during Cannes with Javier and Penelope or Penn or whoever is someone at any given moment...
I hate cynicism, and U2 was the antithesis of cynicism..
But...

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: September 27, 2014 12:42

treaclefingers
OzHeavyThrobber
"The Bono-led band’s Songs of Innocence, which U2 has hinted may be its last record"

It was stated upon free release that this is the first of three albums set for release over the coming 18 months. And the reason no-one can name a Nickleback song they hate is because as soon as they hear the lead singer start trying to sh*t razor blades they turn the channel - I can't hack "R and B" music or rubbish from "Pitbull" either but even though I'm subjected to it all at the gym I switch off to it cos it's crap - and I don't know any titles of these songs.

Many ppl may have been pissed about the new U2 lp being in their iTunes but mainly those that only have such trivial things to be concerned with would fleetingly give a toss. If someone is so incensed at something like this they have either series anger/psychological issues or are lucky enough to have this be the worst thing in the world for them.

Rag Bono and U2 all they want but the album will still sell in the millions and will be followed by I'm sure (yet another) the biggest tour ever.

I'm basically indifferent to all of this so take no side. This article no matter how well written will be soon be forgotten by all that read it - including any of the pending 10 odd million people that will go see them in the coming year or two.

Yeah they really need to go into damage control.

I think all you've said here can be viewed as gospel and crap at the same time.

It comes down to the quality of the album. If it were a crap album, that happened to be promoted in this massive way, U2'd be in a lot of trouble.

But...it happens to be good. If this were the promotion for No Line On The Horizon, I think you'd have a big problem.

The single though is great and so is the album, and that is the gospel truth (IMHO).

Well of course one is entitled to one's opinion but one also has the ability to avoid being pointlessly rude in the process. I'll choose to be so and in so doing will say I simply disagree with your point of view.

"User agreements are never read. So of course the U2 album showing up on their phones is offensive and very Big Brotheresque. Uh huh - because you agreed to it. And then they have the nerve to not know how to delete an album from iTunes. People love to complain. They can't give it away? Those are the same people that obviously wouldn't buy it either.

Nickelback. I've heard them. Awful. Indeed hating (not liking, etc) a band and hearing them and changing it doesn't equate to 'you can't name one song'. Goddamn right I can't. Why would I?
"

I agree GasLightStreet. Well said.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: September 27, 2014 13:02

Well I love 'em!
>grinning smiley<

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: September 27, 2014 14:50

I followed them a lot until all that you can leave behind. After 2001 album, i don't know, I consider them more or less a pop band, it is not r'n'r ' to me. I don't like them anymore, they Are like Madonna or Robbie Williams, the magic is gone

Date: September 27, 2014 15:24

OzHeavyThrobber
treaclefingers
OzHeavyThrobber
"The Bono-led band’s Songs of Innocence, which U2 has hinted may be its last record"

It was stated upon free release that this is the first of three albums set for release over the coming 18 months. And the reason no-one can name a Nickleback song they hate is because as soon as they hear the lead singer start trying to sh*t razor blades they turn the channel - I can't hack "R and B" music or rubbish from "Pitbull" either but even though I'm subjected to it all at the gym I switch off to it cos it's crap - and I don't know any titles of these songs.

Many ppl may have been pissed about the new U2 lp being in their iTunes but mainly those that only have such trivial things to be concerned with would fleetingly give a toss. If someone is so incensed at something like this they have either series anger/psychological issues or are lucky enough to have this be the worst thing in the world for them.

Rag Bono and U2 all they want but the album will still sell in the millions and will be followed by I'm sure (yet another) the biggest tour ever.

I'm basically indifferent to all of this so take no side. This article no matter how well written will be soon be forgotten by all that read it - including any of the pending 10 odd million people that will go see them in the coming year or two.

Yeah they really need to go into damage control.

I think all you've said here can be viewed as gospel and crap at the same time.

It comes down to the quality of the album. If it were a crap album, that happened to be promoted in this massive way, U2'd be in a lot of trouble.

But...it happens to be good. If this were the promotion for No Line On The Horizon, I think you'd have a big problem.

The single though is great and so is the album, and that is the gospel truth (IMHO).

Well of course one is entitled to one's opinion but one also has the ability to avoid being pointlessly rude in the process. I'll choose to be so and in so doing will say I simply disagree with your point of view.

"User agreements are never read. So of course the U2 album showing up on their phones is offensive and very Big Brotheresque. Uh huh - because you agreed to it. And then they have the nerve to not know how to delete an album from iTunes. People love to complain. They can't give it away? Those are the same people that obviously wouldn't buy it either.

Nickelback. I've heard them. Awful. Indeed hating (not liking, etc) a band and hearing them and changing it doesn't equate to 'you can't name one song'. Goddamn right I can't. Why would I?
"

I agree GasLightStreet. Well said.

Sorry Kyle, I reread my post...not my intent to be rude but clearly I was, my apologies!

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: September 27, 2014 15:47

I always liked U2 but I think they wore out their welcome. During the latter part of their career (subsequent to the phenomenal success of Achtung), they seemed to be everywhere in the media and Bono was involved in his political causes to the point of being over-saturated. However, I give them points (like Bruce) for continuing to release new material and taking risks. I may not like all their stuff (and who can?), but this band has been very prolific.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: September 27, 2014 18:47

treaclefingers

. but it gave the band a renewed relevance in the wake of 9/11, when songs like “Walk On” came to symbolize an America figuring out how to pick up the pieces. .

I threw up in little in my mouth after reading this.I hate when people try to make music out to be more then it is...Music critic fluff bullcrap.

Date: September 27, 2014 20:27

stanlove
treaclefingers

. but it gave the band a renewed relevance in the wake of 9/11, when songs like “Walk On” came to symbolize an America figuring out how to pick up the pieces. .

I threw up in little in my mouth after reading this.I hate when people try to make music out to be more then it is...Music critic fluff bullcrap.

yeah that was annoying I agree...I guess he felt he had to give them 'something' as he was about to bash them!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1307
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home