Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stones at baseball stadiums
Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: June 16, 2005 14:44

Both first shows at the One Stage tour seems to be at baseball stadiums.

I know they've created a baseball-tongue for the upcoming tour but have they played many baseball stadiums earlier?
And have have they ever played Yankee Stadium, Bronx?

Re: Stones at baseball stadiums
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 16, 2005 14:53

most of the stadium shows on the Licks tour of the US were in baseball stadiums (Comiskey Park, Edison Field etc). prior to that, they tended to mostly be in stadiums used for American Football.

Theyve never played Yankee Stadium before - but have played Shea Stadium (6 shows in 1989). Come to think of it, I dont know of any rock concerts having been ever staged at Yankee Stadium

Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 16, 2005 14:55

Shea Stadium NY
Dodger Stadium LA

probably a lot more...

Bjornulf

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: June 16, 2005 15:12

Gazza Wrote:
I dont know of any rock concerts
> having been ever staged at Yankee Stadium

Billy Joel played the first concert at Yankee Stadium. U2 and Pink Floyd have both played there also.

Karl

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-06-16 15:34 by KSIE.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: June 16, 2005 15:27

So if they want to sell out stadiums these days they have to move to those "tiny" places...35-45000 capacity...a joke. Even indoor arenas have got 20000 seats. OK, 1 Giants stadium - in 1994 they played there 4 times!

I love those figures from 81 and 89, LA Coliseum for example...2 times and 4 times 90.000 each...sold first one first served as it should be. That is/was a STADIUM!

from [www.abo.fi]

90,017 Los Angeles 18 Oct 1989
90,017 Los Angeles 19 Oct 1989
90,017 Los Angeles 21 Oct 1989
90,017 Los Angeles 22 Oct 1989
90,000 Los Angeles 9 Oct 1981
90,000 Los Angeles 11 Oct 1981

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-06-16 15:31 by TooTough.

Posted by: kienan ()
Date: June 16, 2005 15:47

Turner Field in Atlanta. My favorite Stones's concert. Not only were they in top form that night,they were (the Stones)ENJOYING themselves! All of them grinned the entire night.I've seen the Stones a dozen times,this night they seem to be having as much fun (if not more) as the audience.Guess we need to start a new thread "Stones enjoying themselves".Interaction and enthusiam vs polish and professionalism. They had all four going that night in Atlanta.

Date: June 16, 2005 16:33

KSIE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Gazza Wrote:
> I dont know of any rock concerts
> > having been ever staged at Yankee Stadium
>
> Billy Joel played the first concert at Yankee
> Stadium. U2 and Pink Floyd have both played there
> also.
>
> Karl

Thanks for the info, Karl.

When did U2 play there? Was it the Zoo TV tour ('92?)

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: June 16, 2005 16:36

Yes, 92.

Posted by: backstreetboy ()
Date: June 16, 2005 16:53

if they want to sell out giant stadium 4 nights,they need to lower prices its that simple.some new music would not hurt either,i pay top dollar as many others on this sight,but face it we are not the average fan.and ontop of that what 20 year old kid that wants to experience a stones show for the 1st time can afford 200 dollars for a seat not in the nose bleed section.no one love the stones more than i,but in all honesty these prices are absurd.prices should be,50-100-150-250 at best.

john scialfa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-06-16 16:54 by backstreetboy.

Date: June 16, 2005 17:22

No ticket for a stadium show for ANYONE should be anywhere near $100 IMO

Even if youre in the front row, youre still not THAT close and if its general admission it certainly shouldnt be expensive

To charge anyone a three figure sum to watch a video screen (as is the case for about 95% of the audience in a stadium) is an obscenity.

I can understand charging more for smaller shows and for tickets near the front, but lets face it, if youre charging 50,000 people an average of say $60 for a stadium show, thats still a gross take of $3 million for a night's work. I dont care what overheads there are, thats still a huge profit any way you look at it and should be more than enough for anyone.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: June 16, 2005 17:42

they get what they get because that's what folks are willing to pay. works the same in all of our lines of work.

Date: June 16, 2005 17:56

that isnt in dispute, Tod (although I'd add that while folks are willing to pay not everyone who could GET that amount is as brazen as to charge it!)

Its still a lot of dough to watch a TV screen!

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: June 16, 2005 17:58

Too Tough says: "I love those figures from 81 and 89, LA Coliseum for example...2 times and 4 times 90.000 each...sold first one first served as it should be. That is/was a STADIUM!"

On 81-82 tour they have attracted 3.5 million people. The same, 3.5 million, was the total number of Licks Tour. Don't forget, 89-90 had been the first tour after 8 years and everyone was "thirsty" to see them. SW/UJ tour was a kind of ...global celebration. During 1989- 2003 period they have attracted more than 22 million people and that's a SUPERB number! Noone, band or artist, come close. But, after all, the high frequency of the tours means smaller crowds. It's logic. Remember the seventies. They were on the road very often, so every tour was attracting less than 1 million, even less than 500,000 people. Now they do a new tour, after a break of only two years, without the new CD and the following promotion yet, with very high ticket prices (i can say exasperating prices!)atleast in the USA. It's very ambitious, but will be sucessful once again. Because they are the Stones!

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: June 16, 2005 18:04

Gazza Wrote:
> that isnt in dispute, Tod (although I'd add that
> while folks are willing to pay not everyone who
> could GET that amount is as brazen as to charge
> it!)
>

Brazen-ness is a good quality in a rocker, no? Makes me think of the Brazen Head in Dublin - some fine food there (not to mention the Guinness)....

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: June 16, 2005 18:14

in the 70's the stones still toured every 3 years in the usa...69-72-75-78 & 81.
sadly the tickets are high and with this tour i may only go to 2 shows..at least for now....ha... in other years, especially the early years when they had general admission, you could fight your way closer to the front... thAt was great...all paid the same price but 1st come 1st served...

Date: June 16, 2005 18:56

They played Pacific Bell twice (SF Giants) on Lick's. Also Candlestick Park twice on the 81 tour which was originally a baseball stadium b4 the 49ers joined in and made it a two sport stadium. Same with the Oakland Coliseum which they have played numerous times.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: June 16, 2005 20:23

Alot of the baseball stadiums in the US are fairly new, having been build since the 90's. Previous stadiums were used for both baseball and football but the trend turned to having individual stadiums for baseball/football.
As was mentioned earlier, Candlestick, Oakland Coliseum are/were multiuse facilities. Seattle Kingdome, Veterans Stadium in Philly, Minneapolis Metrodome, 3 Rivers Pittsburgh, Houston Astrodome are all examples of the stadiums built in the 70's that were designed for both football and baseball.
I think the last of the multipurpose stadiums built was the Skydome in Toronto. Even though it opened in the late 80's, I believe both the Argos (CFL FOOTBALL) and the Blue Jays (baseball) say it's outdated. Argos wanted to move to a smaller outdoor stadium but recently renewed their lease there.
Comiskey in Chicago was the last of the traditional looking stadiums, looking alot like Dodger Stadium in LA. After that, Baltimore built Camden Yards Stadium which has a retro look reminiscent of stadiums from a long time ago. After that was built, all of the baseball stadiums (I think) were built in similar fashion: Seattle, Phoenix, San Fran, San Diego, Pittsburgh, Philly, Boston, Houston, Detroit, etc.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: June 16, 2005 21:22

stickydion Wrote:
> > Too Tough says: "I love those figures from 81
> and 89, LA Coliseum for example...2 times and 4
> times 90.000 each...sold first one first served as
> it should be. That is/was a STADIUM!"
>
> On 81-82 tour they have attracted 3.5 million
> people. The same, 3.5 million, was the total
> number of Licks Tour.

In 1981/82 it was just another thing. The youth was following them again! Many new faces. General admission $ 15.50! In 2002/2003 the prices were just too high for many young people who were interested in music. That is a real pity.

The whole SW/UJ tour saw 6 (!) million people coming to the shows. Because tickets prices were affordable ($ 30 maximum, Europe ca. Euro 25).

If 3.5 million people wanted to see them it´s just great, no doubt. But with more reasonable prices they could easily draw double of that. I know a lot of people who would like to see the Stones but can´t afford or just don´t want to pay that much. That´s a pity, dying without having seen the Stones.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2005-06-16 21:24 by TooTough.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: June 16, 2005 21:46

Impressed by Stones in 1989 in LA. How do they score this year.Are the show(s) sold out ?

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: June 16, 2005 22:38

Agree, Too Tough. I hope in Europe the ticket prices will be more reasonable, as usualy are, atleast for the stadium shows. During Licks Tour i went to San Siro, Rrague, Stade De France and the prices were ...almost OK! Honestly, i cannot understand mr Cohl's tactics and thoughts about the market of the USA. Is he thinking that everyone in a rich country is a rich man? With lower ticket prices Detroit could be already sold out or near sold out. I can't imagine the Stones playing "Salt of the Earth" in Detroit with these prices!

Date: June 17, 2005 01:23

stickydion Wrote:
> > Agree, Too Tough. I hope in Europe the ticket
> prices will be more reasonable, as usualy are,
> atleast for the stadium shows. During Licks Tour i
> went to San Siro, Rrague, Stade De France and the
> prices were ...almost OK! Honestly, i cannot
> understand mr Cohl's tactics and thoughts about
> the market of the USA. Is he thinking that
> everyone in a rich country is a rich man? With
> lower ticket prices Detroit could be already sold
> out or near sold out. I can't imagine the Stones
> playing "Salt of the Earth" in Detroit with these
> prices!

if they can have the cheek to sing "I know/its only rock n roll" at a show at the Joint in Vegas where tickets cost over $1,000 then why not? LOL

Cohl's high demands for the Stones guaranteed fee per show scared a lot of arena sized venues off (including the original choice of detroit area show at the Palace at Auburn Hills). So, you end up with more stadium sized venues to satisfy that thirst for money.

Date: June 17, 2005 02:55

DGA35 Wrote:
> > Comiskey in Chicago was the last of the
> traditional looking stadiums, looking alot like
> Dodger Stadium in LA. After that, Baltimore built
> Camden Yards Stadium which has a retro look
> reminiscent of stadiums from a long time ago.
> After that was built, all of the baseball stadiums
> (I think) were built in similar fashion: Seattle,
> Phoenix, San Fran, San Diego, Pittsburgh, Philly,
> Boston, Houston, Detroit, etc.

Boston?????????????? Fenway has been there since like 1912 or something.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: June 17, 2005 08:52

Sorry, I was thinking of Boston's new football stadium, not Fenway. Also, Denver,Cleveland and Milwaukee have new retro style baseball stadiums and now the Yankees are going to build a new Yankee Stadium next to the current one!

Posted by: DD ()
Date: June 17, 2005 11:41

Hello,

This is an interesting site, related to this discussion;

www.worldstadiums.com

A lot of what has been said above is true. Looking at the size of some of the stadiums, and knowing that The Stones played 4,5 and even 6 nights at some of them in 1989, it is a quite incredible achievement. And, as has also been said, the combination of increased touring and astronomical prices means we'll never see them play to those numbers again.

Seems counter-productive if you ask me. Mick always seems to want to make the band relevant to each new generation, yet he and Cohl price huge numbers of people out of seeing them. And this with a band who are all already obscenely wealthy. Bonkers.

Declan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1492
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home