Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT - How good were The Bee Gees!
Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: August 22, 2014 18:06

[www.rollingstone.com]

Great article...worth reading.
Some amazing periods in the history or music.
Just goes to show they are arguably in the top few bands ever!!!
Their songwriting is stronger than all but the Beatles I think.
I think they are underrated...
Bee Gees rock on...

Re: OT - How good were The Bee Gees!
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 22, 2014 18:52

wow so much 'tragedy' in their lives.

Bee Gees were great but I'm not sure I'd put them quite as high on the pedestal.

Thanks for posting, good reading.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 22, 2014 18:54

I think they were very talented (especially Barry). Like some of their songs better than others. Nights On Broadway, Run To Me, To Love Somebody, Love So Right, etc.

Posted by: OCarol ()
Date: August 22, 2014 21:30

Great lyrics..Great harmonies..love their work!

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: August 22, 2014 21:37

As I have posted here before, obviously there was a big backlash against them here in the states by rock fans when disco took over the airwaves...being a teenager and Stones fan, I was somewhat indifferent to them, but everyone saw Saturday Night Fever and you could not help to catch yourself humming the tunes. They lived on Star Island here in Miami for many years and did many good things for our community.
I recently watched their Vegas show and it was sad to realize only Barry is left. Andy was down here too, and if I recall, filed his BR down here.
The songs that they have written are quite impressive even if not a genre I particularly care for, but no one can deny their genius, particularly Barry.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: August 22, 2014 21:53

I liked them very much when I was very young. Now that I am getting older I start to like them again

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 22, 2014 23:42

Rolling Hansie
I liked them very much when I was very young. Now that I am getting older I start to like them again

Same here Hansie, and Brstonesfan is right, it's hard to overstate what a huge deal Saturday Night Fever was in the US. And then that's all everyone thought the Bee Gees were about, me included. But, I loved a lot of disco, so I loved the Bee Gees. It wasn't until later that I discovered their earlier material. A hugely talented band of brothers.

Date: August 23, 2014 00:18

latebloomer
It wasn't until later that I discovered their earlier material.

That's what I meant when I said "when I was very young". They lost me with that disco Saturday Night Fever stuff.

-------------------

Date: August 23, 2014 00:21

-------------------

Date: August 23, 2014 00:23

-------------------

Date: August 23, 2014 00:25

-------------------

Date: August 23, 2014 00:26

-------------------

Date: August 23, 2014 00:27

-------------------

Date: August 23, 2014 00:28

That's when I was very young, which reminds me of this one LOL

-------------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-23 00:30 by Rolling Hansie.

Date: August 23, 2014 00:56

My first LP

-------------------

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 23, 2014 01:47

Pretty good! I even appreciate the disco stuff now (somewhat). Favorite BeeGees song is "Massachussetts".

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: August 23, 2014 02:17

latebloomer
Rolling Hansie

Same here Hansie, and Brstonesfan is right, it's hard to overstate what a huge deal Saturday Night Fever was in the US. And then that's all everyone thought the Bee Gees were about, me included. But, I loved a lot of disco, so I loved the Bee Gees. It wasn't until later that I discovered their earlier material. A hugely talented band of brothers.

I can still remember when my mom bought the soundtrack for my sister, but she was actually buying it for all of us. It was a big deal to be able to put the needle on songs you heard on the radio...I can remember sitting on these huge Kenwood speakers in my mom's room and hearing Night Fever with that big bass and drum sound.
Here's another gem post-SNF
[www.youtube.com]

Date: August 23, 2014 02:19

treaclefingers
wow so much 'tragedy' in their lives.

Bee Gees were great but I'm not sure I'd put them quite as high on the pedestal.

Thanks for posting, good reading.

I see what your saying, but its not so much that the belong on a 'pedestal' of the great bands or need to be. But I do think they've been underrated. For a long time, because of the disco backlash, they were seen as a niche group, but they were more than that.
Im always amazed at how seamlessly they moved from the poppy/folky late-60s stuff to the more soulful stuff in the 70s and doing it well.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: August 23, 2014 03:10

Since my thing is blues, soul, rock, I never saw the Bee Gees in concert but their music was certainly always worth listening to...and "How Deep Is Your Love" is one of my favorite songs. Every song they sang however was special...those voices working together were fantastic.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: August 23, 2014 03:30

This great song is written by Barry, Robin and Maurice Gibb. The whole Marbles LP from 1970 is worth owning.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-23 03:31 by noughties.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 23, 2014 03:33

Disco Sucks...peace

Date: August 23, 2014 04:08

Naturalust
Disco Sucks...peace

You suck! Just kidding...nice to see your peace loving self around again, Naturalust. smiling smiley

Date: August 23, 2014 04:12

Disco was more subversive than punk. Punk begat a thousand pretenders and poseurs that thrives to this day. Disco evoled into so many different things and remains something that influences music today.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 23, 2014 05:00

latebloomer
Naturalust
Disco Sucks...peace

You suck! Just kidding...nice to see your peace loving self around again, Naturalust. smiling smiley

Thanks bloomer! Nice to be seen.

As far as stupidguy's comment "Disco evolved into so many different things and remains something that influences music today."

If true, probably why most music today sucks! I like to think that Motown and R&B and Soul and Gospel may have influenced music in a positive way, while disco didn't do much for music...may have got the ladies dancing which was fine with me but nothing is quite as unappealing to me as seeing guys dance to disco. peace

Date: August 23, 2014 05:16

Naturalust
latebloomer
Naturalust
Disco Sucks...peace

Thanks bloomer! Nice to be seen.

As far as stupidguy's comment "Disco evolved into so many different things and remains something that influences music today."

If true, probably why most music today sucks! I like to think that Motown and R&B and Soul and Gospel may have influenced music in a positive way, while disco didn't do much for music...may have got the ladies dancing which was fine with me but nothing is quite as unappealing to me as seeing guys dance to disco. peace

Fair enough NL, to each his own...and a lot of the ladies weren't all that great on the dance floor either, but we sure thought we were. smiling smiley

Like any music genrre, some disco was great and some not so much. I do agree with you that R&B, soul and gospel have had a more significant influence than disco. I think of good disco as pure fun.

Date: August 23, 2014 06:18

71Tele
Pretty good! I even appreciate the disco stuff now (somewhat). Favorite BeeGees song is "Massachussetts".

same here

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: August 23, 2014 07:28

They obviously don't fit in the same category as the Stones, Zepp, Allmans, Who, AC/DC, etc., but I would place them in the top 5 of all pop groups - probably after the Beatles, Beach Boys and perhaps Abba. Great group.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: August 23, 2014 08:27

I was a fan of the Bee Gees prior to their disco days.
I loved their shows when played with a full orchestra.

Met them a couple times, Robin was always the friendliest.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 23, 2014 08:51

Always on Aussie TV in the 60's ... and the Spicks and Specks clip
in '66 that was one of the first Australian music video's with the
brothers all full-on goofin' off Beatles style around some Cessna's at an airport ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: August 23, 2014 08:59

Disco v Rock appears to occupy the same place in American musical culture as Punk v The Dinosaurs does in the UK. The Bee Gees did a hell of a lot more than just Saturday night Fever!
Greatest ever songwriting team after Lennon/McCartney?
The only thing I can't forgive them is the disparaging comments made about their birthplace Chorlton (suburb in South Manchester) in a BBC documentary. Came back in a limo and slagged us right off.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1977
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home