Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Mick recording with Kanye West?
Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: August 21, 2014 10:06

Big Al
An egomaniacal, self-absorbed character, but one who has produced some terrific music.

I was SURE you were going to say this was Mick!!!!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 21, 2014 10:18

bitusa2012
Big Al
An egomaniacal, self-absorbed character, but one who has produced some terrific music.

I was SURE you were going to say this was Mick!!!!

grinning smiley

It is amusing to read some of these comments concerning the shocking character and behaviour of mr. West, and thinking that the best behavior, non-controversality or political correctness has never been the secret of the success of the heroes of this board... But I guess the old dictum holds on; more the parents hates him/them, more the kids love them/him...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-21 10:20 by Doxa.

Posted by: Rickster ()
Date: August 21, 2014 18:09

I sure hope not Kanya West is a low life useless worthless scumbag

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 21, 2014 18:15

Watching some of Kanye's interviews on You Tube earlier, I do wonder how genuine he's actually being in his responses and blizzard statements: could it be tongue-in-cheek, perhaps? His 'rock-star' proclamations during a BBC Radio 1 interview are downright hilarious!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 21, 2014 20:20

swiss
24FPS
Where is this genius Kanye West is supposed to exhibit? His greatest song is a novelty tune, with the best part being Jamie Foxx doing his Ray Charles imitation. Other than that I only hear Kanye rapping about material goods and how great he is, like every other rapper. I can usually see the greatness in someone in just about every genre of art & sports and I admit I don't get Kanye, if there is something to get.

hmm....not trying to change your mind, but he's really not all about material goods or
braggadacio...here's an example:

Aquamarine
It's all a matter of taste, obviously. For me, Yeezus was the most exciting album of last year, taking risks on every track. I finally had to stop listening to Black Skinhead because I didn't want to get tired of it. smiling smiley

thumbs up
It used to feel like I was one of the only hip hop fans on iorr - glad to be in good company, Aquamarine!
(even if Yeesus were the only album you're fond of)

- swiss

See, I'm reminded of when Keith said a few years back that rap was crap, he called it Mary Had a Little Lamb music. And I am not against Hip Hop or say that all rap is crap. I like Jay Z, but I don't get where the genius b.s. comes in for Kanye. I've never understood how that particular genre has lasted so long. It seems like a fad that should have lasted 2-3 years, like rockabilly, a subset. Everything that needed to be said was said, much better, by 1982, with 'The Message' by Grandmaster Flash.

Kanye isn't even saying anything that interesting with a novel way of saying it, like Eminem. Yeah, we get it, growing up black in the ghetto was tough. And?

I think my biggest beef with rap is that it blotted out the sun from shining on black singers who can really sing, not just talk angry over a dead, repetitive beat. The line that went from Sam Cooke, through Marvin Gaye just petered out for no good reason.

And yes you can apply some of these things to rock, but we know rock is on a respirator anyway.

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: August 21, 2014 21:12

24FPS
I've never understood how that particular genre has lasted so long. It seems like a fad that should have lasted 2-3 years, like rockabilly, a subset. Everything that needed to be said was said, much better, by 1982, with 'The Message' by Grandmaster Flash.

I think my biggest beef with rap is that it blotted out the sun from shining on black singers who can really sing, not just talk angry over a dead, repetitive beat. The line that went from Sam Cooke, through Marvin Gaye just petered out for no good reason.

I guess I don't have anything to add, but you've set out my feelings about rap perfectly. I am still amazed it has lasted so long, considering how limited it is. I suppose I'm missing something, but for the life of me I have no idea what it could be. All I hear is, as you said, angry talk over a dead, repetitive beat. When I realized it was becoming increasingly popular, back in the early 80s, I remember thinking "I hope this goes away soon." Joke's on me.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-21 21:14 by blivet.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1536
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home