Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Who still reads Rolling Stone magazine?
Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: August 14, 2014 13:34

Sometimes I read the italian version; but I prefer Buscadero and other magazines.

Date: August 14, 2014 14:37

I still do...have subscribed for 25+ years...it's cheap.

I have to admit that I don't read it like I used to.

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: August 14, 2014 15:13

Rolling Stone magazine hasn't been relevant to music since I graduated highschool. I'm 57 now.

Somebody gave me a subscription to the damned thing for Christmas this year. No one I know will admit having done so.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: August 14, 2014 16:09

Disclaimer: I was 22 the first time I heard Nirvana and I "didn't get it". The more I heard them, the more I couldn't stand them.

Now, Regarding Rolling Stone Magazine...

When Kurt Cobain killed himself and RS Magazine mourned his death and tried to convince me it was as an important enough event as the deaths of Morrison, Jones, Lennon, Janis, Jimi, I gave up on the magazine. I had already grown tired of their political agenda and the Cobain article proved to be my final straw. I called them when I finished the issue and asked them to cancel my subscription. The customer service rep tried to convince me to not cancel as I only had 5 issues left anyway. I told him that I was over it, didn't want to see it in my mailbox, they could keep my money and send the magazines to a homeless shelter if they wanted to, just not to me.

Although I have bought a few single issues since, even if I like the cover feature, I normally read a bit of it in the store and put it back on the rack.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: August 14, 2014 17:17

Rolling Stone hasn't been right since they changed from the "newspaper" format...when was that? I remember when it was bitched about when they went from a double fold to a single fold format. I will pick one up and read it for the political articles if someone leaves a copy laying around at the post office but I wont waste my money on it. It USED to be about the music man....now its just "People" for those who think "ah,man this makes me cool"....never thought the adds for LP releases and stereo gear would be replaced by perfume and clothing adds...

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 14, 2014 17:25

I usually get a copy when I'm in an airport. Other than that the last copy I bought to have at home was... Jimmy Page.

Their special artist issues are good. Led Zeppelin, Bob Marley. Those are nice reads.

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: August 14, 2014 17:38

RS is the most overrated magazine on the rack. I only buy it if it has an artist on the cover that I collect (Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Eric Clapton, etc.) and even then I do so begrudgingly. The final straw was when they put that Boston bomber on the front cover like he was something much more than what he is. The hell with RS magazine.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 14, 2014 17:52

Rockman
love the padding!

HAAAA ... then treacle I bet ya can't wait the 100 greatest of the 100 greatest lists .....

Careful what you wish for Rockman!

[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: August 14, 2014 17:53

Horrible publication.

They do two things- put people like Myley Cyrus (whatever her name is) on the cover and do nothing but have people like Mike Taibbi blast the right - over and over and over and...(Not trying to make a political statement just stating facts about that pub)

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 14, 2014 18:37

treaclefingers
Rockman
love the padding!

HAAAA ... then treacle I bet ya can't wait the 100 greatest of the 100 greatest lists .....

[www.rollingstone.com]

Oh wow, how AWFUL!

I find it quite... strange - I am 'of' the Gen X, I guess. I never talked about being a part of it but it's my generation, so "they" say; it's beyond lame. But this millennial thing...

WTF? How does saying 'Oh the millennials are such wannabe hipsters' mean anything? How can one know for sure if they are a 'millennial', whatever that is supposed to be? For supposedly up and coming smart people they sure like the label.

Date: August 14, 2014 19:47

GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
Rockman
love the padding!

[www.rollingstone.com]

Oh wow, how AWFUL!

I find it quite... strange - I am 'of' the Gen X, I guess. I never talked about being a part of it but it's my generation, so "they" say; it's beyond lame. But this millennial thing...

WTF? How does saying 'Oh the millennials are such wannabe hipsters' mean anything? How can one know for sure if they are a 'millennial', whatever that is supposed to be? For supposedly up and coming smart people they sure like the label.

I'm waiting for the 'post-millennial' generation, so we can get past all this nonsense.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: August 14, 2014 20:12

stupidguy2
I was wondering because I used to, but now I can't stand it.
Am I just old? If I have to read another Rolling Stone Interview featuring Clapton, Bono....the same old suspects. Over and over. They have a new generation of young artists they cater to, like they used to cater to older favorites.

I remember the first Rolling Stone I had, begged my mom to buy it for me from the local convenience store. Jon Voight was on the cover, 1979.
I was 13 and felt like I had entered some kind of club of coolness.
I ended up subscribing to it non-stop from 81-89.
Now I can't stand it.

I had a letter published in that issue - it was about George Harrison. I was a teenager in Hawaii planning in becoming a rock journalist. I would probably be starving today if I had followed that path. I still subscribe.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 14, 2014 20:12

I still have a subscription. It's been pretty dire lately, with some lightweight issues, but there are still pretty good articles sporadically. And I like their political coverage. They started out as political, as the voice of the counter culture. I think what we're seeing is the winding down of rock and roll in general. Even interviews with the 'old farts' are starting to bore me. (See Clapton, Petty).

I read the Brit import MOJO at the library, and it is what Rolling Stone used to be. I guess Rolling Stone figures its current readership won't read stories about bands and what they did in the 60s.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: August 14, 2014 21:36

StonedInTokyo
RS is the most overrated magazine on the rack. I only buy it if it has an artist on the cover that I collect (Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Eric Clapton, etc.) and even then I do so begrudgingly. The final straw was when they put that Boston bomber on the front cover like he was something much more than what he is. The hell with RS magazine.

That pissed me off. Not the coverage, but the cover and why?
The kid had that 'look', like a musician...he looked like a cover boy. He was mildly attractive.
It he'd been some fat guy with crazy eyes he wouldn't have made the cover. Fact.
And I love Phillip Seymour Hoffman, and he should have been on the cover before. The fact that died from heroin overdose got him a RS cover.
I know that sounds silly, but I feel like RS is the ultimate poseur, trying to be edgy and PSH had to be a heroin addict to make the cover. I have no proof of that, but I believe it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-14 21:37 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: August 14, 2014 21:57

I'm a bit confused by the original post - are you upset that they continue to cover the older artists, or that they are covering newer artists?

I usually find myself getting a bit pissed off when I see a Justin Beiber on the cover - but then was delighted to see Willie Nelson is, or is about to be, a cover.

Date: August 14, 2014 22:09

DEmerson
I'm a bit confused by the original post - are you upset that they continue to cover the older artists, or that they are covering newer artists?

I usually find myself getting a bit pissed off when I see a Justin Beiber on the cover - but then was delighted to see Willie Nelson is, or is about to be, a cover.

Both. But maybe Im just old. How many Clapton, Dylan interviews do we need at this point? They've become ubiquitous. Its not that they're 'old', its just the same people over and over. I know she's not a marquee star for a cover, but I'd like to read the Definitive Aretha Franklin Interview, the Definitive Carole King Interview, or you get the idea. They recycle the same subjects.
And its not just musicians, but other personalities. I'm still waiting for the Matthew Mcconaughey cover, with his comeback, True Detective, Oscar, big Nolan film coming up and on top of all that, he's quirky as hell etc...
He's the perfect 'it' actor of the moment, and that's what RS used to be..But we'll get another Johnny Depp, or Brad Pitt cover. Im just cranky. But I can't stand that kind of pseudo-hipster ethic in media.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-14 22:19 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: August 14, 2014 22:28

around the last era I was interested

Date: August 14, 2014 22:44

I guess I haven't looked at one in a very long time. Just saw one at the store with Willie Nelson on the cover. It's so small...looked like People magazine.

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: August 14, 2014 22:56

Got the old Rolling Stones in Rolling Stone book off ebay a long time ago. Has every article and interview with/about them up until it came out in '75.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: August 14, 2014 23:02

I read it for the musical stuff and roll my eyes at the lefty crap. "No one knows if Freddie Mercury caught AIDS from a man or a woman" it said—in so many words—in a recent Queen story. I think an educated guess can be made....

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: August 15, 2014 01:30

I picked up my first copy of Rolling Stone as a 13 year old back in 1970-- It was a revelation-- I never,ever, missed an issue after that-- I got the music news I craved--- in the 80"s when Wenner moved his base of operations and the magazine became another version of People magazine I wrote them a letter telling them how disappointed I had become and canceled my subscription-- I actually received a letter from Jann Wenner telling me how narrow minded I was for cancelling---how we all grow up and how we all need to look at all aspects of life in America and not just music---ok Jann
pity......I would much rather an issue of Mojo any day than a current issue of Rolling Stone.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: August 15, 2014 02:00

i just love rolling stone magazine-all the great lists,the best 100 this and the best 100 that.because i need to pay money to have someone tell me their favorite 100 of something.

and the terrorist issue that was great too-putting the boston bomber on the cover,looking like a rock star.i really believe that a guy that who murdered a little boy who went to see his dad run a race deserved to be on the cover just like jim morrison,mick jagger keith richards etc. because you know jann has to be provocative and edgy ya know.

not edgy enough to show the picture of the guy franticaly pushing the girl in the wheelchair who just had both legs completely blown off at the knee of course,but you know, show a picture of the rockstar terrorist just to get people talking.

they also need a few more ads,i dont think they have enough.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: August 15, 2014 04:30

It has become a joke

Date: August 15, 2014 08:44

lem motlow
i just love rolling stone magazine-all the great lists,the best 100 this and the best 100 that.because i need to pay money to have someone tell me their favorite 100 of something.

and the terrorist issue that was great too-putting the boston bomber on the cover,looking like a rock star.i really believe that a guy that who murdered a little boy who went to see his dad run a race deserved to be on the cover just like jim morrison,mick jagger keith richards etc. because you know jann has to be provocative and edgy ya know.

not edgy enough to show the picture of the guy franticaly pushing the girl in the wheelchair who just had both legs completely blown off at the knee of course,but you know, show a picture of the rockstar terrorist just to get people talking.

they also need a few more ads,i dont think they have enough.

Exactly. My sensibilities are not fragile and not offended easily, but that was rank. 'Oh look... He's got rock star hair.. How sexy. Let's put him on the cover!'
It was disgusting because it really was about how this kid looked. Why not the Unabomber? Or hey, Timothy MCV.. I mean why not. They were at least more fascinating..
Because they were not 'sexy' enough for Jann Wenner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-15 08:46 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: August 15, 2014 20:52

Here's an article related to english music magazines that I think it fits perfectly on this thread.

"Have you fallen out of love with music magazines?
Open thread: NME, Q Magazine and Kerrang! have all seen their sales slump. Do you still buy music magazines, and if not, where do you go to find out about new music?"

[www.theguardian.com]

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: August 15, 2014 21:38

I still like music magazines, not necessarily the ones that have anything to do with new music, though. The problem over here in the US is that the Brits do it much better with Mojo, Classic Rock, Uncut, etc. and the print editions get charged a crazy price since they're imported. Each one's around ten or twelve bucks, thankfully tablet editions are about half that now.

For whatever reason, there's not a whole lot of music magazines at all from the States anymore. Quite a few magazines kind of cover music as part of a catch-all for men's mags, your Esquires and GQs of the world. Probably 15 years ago now, I remember when Revolver started. It was much like an American version of Mojo, first couple issues had a big interview with the 3 Police together for the first time in forever, a big story on Big Star, etc etc. I was like, "Finally!", then about 6 issues in after I'd subscribed it went to a heavy metal mag. That's how it goes here.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: August 15, 2014 22:18

StonesCat
Probably 15 years ago now, I remember when Revolver started. It was much like an American version of Mojo, first couple issues had a big interview with the 3 Police together for the first time in forever, a big story on Big Star, etc etc. I was like, "Finally!", then about 6 issues in after I'd subscribed it went to a heavy metal mag. That's how it goes here.

How cool! You went through the same thing I did! I remember reading that first issue and thinking, "Finally, something to make up for the fact that Rolling Stone is now worthless"! A few issues later I was thinking, "When did I subscribe to a "Metal Magazine"? Needless to say, I never renewed my subscription.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 15, 2014 22:19

alhavu1
do nothing but have people like Mike Taibbi blast the right

Since 2008 Taibbi discovered the Dems are another sort of evil. An evil that sleeps with bankers.

Overall, ANY British rock mag (Mojo Uncut Classic Rock) is better than RS.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-15 22:20 by dcba.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 15, 2014 22:19

shadooby
Not since 1990 or so, maybe...before grunge & rap crap took over. Around the same time MTV took a nose-dive now that I think about it.

Post of the week!

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 15, 2014 22:23

mr_dja
Disclaimer: I was 22 the first time I heard Nirvana and I "didn't get it". The more I heard them, the more I couldn't stand them.

Now, Regarding Rolling Stone Magazine...

When Kurt Cobain killed himself and RS Magazine mourned his death and tried to convince me it was as an important enough event as the deaths of Morrison, Jones, Lennon, Janis, Jimi, I gave up on the magazine. I had already grown tired of their political agenda and the Cobain article proved to be my final straw. I called them when I finished the issue and asked them to cancel my subscription. The customer service rep tried to convince me to not cancel as I only had 5 issues left anyway. I told him that I was over it, didn't want to see it in my mailbox, they could keep my money and send the magazines to a homeless shelter if they wanted to, just not to me.

Although I have bought a few single issues since, even if I like the cover feature, I normally read a bit of it in the store and put it back on the rack.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Another great post

"No Anchovies, Please"

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1834
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home