Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Re: OT: The Who Hits 50! tour
Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: June 28, 2015 14:12

Beast
Thanks for your perspectives, BluzDude - interesting for us Brits to read!

The Who undoubtedly put on a great show, but I agree with others that the lack of an encore was disappointing. And I'm with grzegorz67 when he says Johnny Marr was a revelation. His set was excellent and trumped Paul Weller, IMHO. I like Kaiser Chiefs but I was unfortunately trapped in endless food, drink and loo queues while they were on, so missed them sad smiley

I'll be looking out for The Who at Glastonbury on tonight's TV.

Hi Beast, nice to meet you, if across a double fence! I ate before entry and limited myself to one loo run, strategically between Kaiser Chiefs and Paul Weller. Even then there was a huge queue, and that for the gents! The all IORR colony on your side did very well indeed with your viewing spots - you're obviously well versed in that fine art! I saw yourself, PaulyWaul, Crawdaddy & Zgubi all together and perhaps others too?

Bizarre and disappointing end to a great show. It will be interesting to see if they do the same at Glasto tonight, which I too, will be watching. On the plus side, the big screen montage of their history prior to taking to the stage was, for me, a very nice touch.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-28 14:37 by grzegorz67.

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: June 28, 2015 17:04

Just saw on TY “Pictures of Lily”, “Listening to you” and “behind blue eyes” – looks like a great solid show: loud guitar and great show altogether (though I do not like the drums sound of ZS in recent tours, sounding as if coming from an inside of a box’ which it is pretty much what it is…). Hard to compare to the arena shows I’ve seen in the UK at the end of 2014 (from front rows) but clearly the show is energetic –

Being both a Stones and The Who fan, as well as seeing both in several occasions since summer 2013, one can feel the differences:

The Stones, whether you like it or not, preserved a certain consistent level of showmanship through the years and when going on stage they put out a whole package show. With The Who generally speaking, it looks more like what you may expect them )two) looking, and performing, at this late stage and after many years of not being creative together. The Who still put a lot of “personal” touch into their shows, which you can feel if you go to several shows in a row, pay attention to nuances or… like me… pay for the VIP soundcheck package. There you can see them work at ease or even, like me, manage to propose them with the “what song should we put instead of that one dropped” – which they might agree and adopt… (seems like the “My Generation” in Liverpool 2014 gig was after my suggestion following Rogers question to the small crowd in the sound check J.)

With the Stones it’s the carefully managed show where very little can become improvised and with personal touch.

Strange, though, occasionally to read fans complaining about each of the bands current attitude… for The Who the occasional song “loosing its way” (due to improvisation) as opposed to the common complaint about the Stones concerts “being too much like the one before/one after”.

Obviously as a fan of both I’m happy to enjoy both ways.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-28 17:10 by Wroclaw.

OT- The Who at Glastonbury
Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: June 28, 2015 20:21

I've been looking around trying to find out with little success if the BBC will show all of The Who's headline set tonight from Worthy farm? Do any of you know if this will happen? Thanks in advance.

Re: OT- The Who at Glastonbury
Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: June 28, 2015 21:26

Yes it will be live on BBC2.

Paul Weller will be in 5 minutes which you can watch on the BBC website.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: June 28, 2015 21:57

10.40 pm is the Who set.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: June 28, 2015 22:03

cheers smileys with beer

Date: June 28, 2015 22:31

But The Who start at 9.15pm. Are the BBC just joining in half way through? I'm recording Weller now.

Posted by: maradona ()
Date: June 28, 2015 22:53

geordiestone
But The Who start at 9.15pm. Are the BBC just joining in half way through? I'm recording Weller now.

Would you be so kind and share the file later on? Just cannot seem to get the stream here in Germany...

Date: June 28, 2015 22:56

maradona
geordiestone

Would you be so kind and share the file later on? Just cannot seem to get the stream here in Germany...
Oh Maradona i'm sorry i'm recording from tv but if i see a youtube link later i shall post.

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: June 28, 2015 23:10

Most of these streams are up on dimeadozen.org...if any of you have Dropbox I could send you a few acts I have so far...

Date: June 28, 2015 23:51

The show at Hyde Park on Friday night was filmed for a future official release. I was there. Their official start time for tonight's show is 945pm but the BBC2 broadcast is not until 2240pm. So either the BBC are joining the show half way through and broadcasting live or it's a delayed broadcast with naughty words edited out winking smiley There were a few of those on Friday night...

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: June 29, 2015 00:01

grzegorz67
The show at Hyde Park on Friday night was filmed for a future official release. I was there. Their official start time for tonight's show is 945pm but the BBC2 broadcast is not until 2240pm. So either the BBC are joining the show half way through and broadcasting live or it's a delayed broadcast with naughty words edited out winking smiley There were a few of those on Friday night...

After watching Kanye's set last night, I really don't think the BBC mind about language for Glastonbury. My god was it potty.

Date: June 29, 2015 01:13

Yep, I'm watching now. The naughty line in Who are You?, the show opener was left in smiling smiley Sad that they've dropped Can't Explain as their opener imho. Pictures of Lily is back but Substitute not played since mid April, perhaps due to the strain of that chorus on Roger's voice.

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: June 29, 2015 01:56

Bastion
grzegorz67

After watching Kanye's set last night, I really don't think the BBC mind about language for Glastonbury. My god was it potty.

The real "potty" part was Kayne being allowed to headline Glastonbury.
What a royal jackass.

Cheers,
SonicD

Date: June 29, 2015 01:56

BBC broadcast just finished. They showed about 10 songs of a rather curtailed 16 song set list. For those seeing them in Europe and America later in the year, I hope this was not a sign of problems. I thought Roger sang pretty well but Pete looked to be in one of his pissed off can't be bothered moods. I'd be interested to hear the thoughts of others with a deeper knowledge of this band that I've only really got into since seeing a great 22 song set by them at the O2 in March.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: June 29, 2015 02:05

Pete was definitely not in the same mood as he was at Hyde Park - he appeared to be a bit tense - & Roger's voice was not as good either. I thought he was struggling quite a lot, which maybe accounted for the generally more subdued mood.

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: June 29, 2015 02:11

Beast
Pete was definitely not in the same mood as he was at Hyde Park - he appeared to be a bit tense - & Roger's voice was not as good either. I thought he was struggling quite a lot, which maybe accounted for the generally more subdued mood.

Yep, Rog was struggling at Glasters for sure.

Date: June 29, 2015 02:19

A contributory factor may be that their setlist was brought forward by 30 mins at short notice and they were given no time to do a sound check. On Friday night the sound checks were carried out by the crew of not just the Who but their 4 support acts and seemed very thorough.

It will be interesting to hear what happens in Paris on Tuesday, firstly for how good a performance they deliver and secondly, what reaction they get from the crowd given that they cancelled a sell out show there scheduled for tonight when they got the Glasto headline slot.

Posted by: DD ()
Date: June 29, 2015 02:38

Hello.

Regarding the Glastonbury performance; for what it's worth, and from what I could gauge from watching on television, Pete was actually in a rather good mood (for him, anyway), although his playing wasn't as inspired as usual. Roger appeared to struggle with both pitching and range on more than one occasion, which saddens me because of how great he was and can still sometimes be. Much lower key than I hoped for - although actually being there may have been very different, as the crowd seemed to be digging it.

Declan

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 29, 2015 03:05

They ain't done yet? COME ON. HANG IT UP!!!!!!!!!!

Date: June 29, 2015 03:31

The crowd were mad for it on Friday night in Hyde Park! I feel that they subject themselves to far too punishing a schedule. The Stones now do 2 shows a week and the Who and MCCartney really ought to follow suit to get the best out of themselves. In March the Who did back to back gigs at the O2 and and MCCartney followed suit at the same venue in May - silly for performers of their age if you ask me. Mick was warned not to do 2 nights on the trot as long ago as 2003 when they had to postpone a night at Twickenham. He was 60 at the time. He took the advice on board and has reaped the rewards, mostly from useye popping smiley

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: June 29, 2015 04:45

[www.youtube.com]

one I shot with my cell....
For some reason the video is not appearing directly, even when I remove the "s"

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: June 29, 2015 12:51

Love the video BluzDude. I loved that gig from start to finish. smileys with beer

Date: June 29, 2015 13:46

I agree Tony. Fantastic day out from start to finish, with all flaws (the usual poor security and unpunished pushers-in). Imho, it's very hard to beat a day of bands in Hyde Park in the Summer Time.

Another one to be added to the collection of great gigging memories. I'm going to Copenhagen on Friday and I'm tempted to go to Roskilde on Saturday where Paul McCartney's headlining. Prices are now falling steadily on the secondary sites. Anyone with experience of the process of getting into the front of stage pit at Roskilde please advise. I'd be interested to know when the best time to start queuing is. I do know that since the Pearl Jam tragedy in 2000 they've operated a traffic light system. I know a few from here were at the Stones gig there last year.

Definitely been bitten by the festival bug smileys with beer

Posted by: chriseganstar ()
Date: June 29, 2015 18:04

crawdaddy
Here's the link Mr D.

On my way to Hyde Park in about 10 minutes to see The Who Paul Weller,Kaiser Chiefs , Vintage Trouble and a whole lot more. smileys with beer

AndreeaTravelAdventures

Sorry not to see you there, Tony.....I tried your number a couple of times but didn't get through. I was also in Premium View, about 10 back on the side rail as I didn't go in until 4pm after a few beers in a pub beforehand. I don't buy the crap lager in Hyde Park at those ridiculous prices !!

Cheers,

Chriseganstar

Satisfied since 1976

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: June 29, 2015 18:50

Hi Chris, sorry I missed you. I thought you have my U.K. mobile number. I know you have my Spanish one, but I don't use it over in U.K.

You probably seen that I met up with paulywaul, Beast and later on zgubi.
We got right on the best spot on corner of rail, centre stage at 1 p.m.
Once we got it we were there and took turns to go out of premium view area for a while. Hope to see you again soon mate. smileys with beer

Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: June 29, 2015 18:58

grzegorz67
Beast
Thanks for your perspectives, BluzDude - interesting for us Brits to read!

The Who undoubtedly put on a great show, but I agree with others that the lack of an encore was disappointing. And I'm with grzegorz67 when he says Johnny Marr was a revelation. His set was excellent and trumped Paul Weller, IMHO. I like Kaiser Chiefs but I was unfortunately trapped in endless food, drink and loo queues while they were on, so missed them sad smiley

I'll be looking out for The Who at Glastonbury on tonight's TV.

Hi Beast, nice to meet you, if across a double fence! I ate before entry and limited myself to one loo run, strategically between Kaiser Chiefs and Paul Weller. Even then there was a huge queue, and that for the gents! The all IORR colony on your side did very well indeed with your viewing spots - you're obviously well versed in that fine art! I saw yourself, PaulyWaul, Crawdaddy & Zgubi all together and perhaps others too?

Bizarre and disappointing end to a great show. It will be interesting to see if they do the same at Glasto tonight, which I too, will be watching. On the plus side, the big screen montage of their history prior to taking to the stage was, for me, a very nice touch.

No encore in Forest Hills either. Who cares. Stones used to never do encores

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 29, 2015 19:07

I love The Who dearly and they are the band I have seen most often after the Stones - about 33 times, first seeing them at Sundown Edmonton on the Quadrophenia tour in Dec 73.

But I must admit that the last few occasions - Wembley for the Quadrophenia tour last summer and the Royal Albert hall show in March left me cold. I wasn't going to bother again.

I was invited by a friend to see them on Friday in Hyde Park and was not expecting a lot but they were fantastic. The power was back, Daltrey was in great voice and Pete was on fire.

Long live The Who.

Posted by: johnnythunders ()
Date: June 29, 2015 22:19

Hyde Park was a great show

Here I am onstage with Pete and Rog

[onlyrockandroll.london]

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: July 2, 2015 21:43

I am at the Ziggo dome right now. 20 minutes to go. I wonder if some Iorrians is here

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2096
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home