Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Vinyl
Posted by: captkirk ()
Date: May 20, 2005 23:34

I'm a new guy. I've occasionally read a few things, but this is the first post I've made. I'm glad to see that the Stones are about to hit the road with a new record. I'm curious if anyone knows if the new album will be available on LP. Gotta have the black circle. Also, I haven't seen 40 Licks or Live Licks on LP either. I know Jump Back was on vinyl. If anyone knows about the availability of these records on vinyl, please let me know. Thanks.

Bill

Re: Vinyl
Posted by: Jan Richards ()
Date: May 21, 2005 01:19

I am a vinylaholic also and I would very much like to have a "complete" collection of all Stones issues on LP. Unfortunately this will never happen. There are a few official ones that have not come out on LP:
Rock'n Roll Cirkus - not on vinyl
Forty Licks - not on vinyl. There were a few of them up for sale on e-bay last winter but they were all bootlegs. So, it kind of exists on vinyl but not any official one.
Live Licks - not on vinyl
NEW ALBUM - Sure hope that it will be out on the plastic fantastic.

Jan Richards
www.stonesvikings.com

Hey, if you like vinyls, check out my DECCA page on stonesvikings

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: May 21, 2005 05:26

Vinyl rules. Suprised that the Stones would miss a revenue possibility.

Karl

'Don’t forget, if you’re on your bike, wear white'

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: May 21, 2005 06:30

I know a person who manages the rare record shop on the web.
The site is as follows. Check it please.

[www.redtrumpet.com]

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: May 21, 2005 07:48

I do like the old Decca records. No super audio CD will beat the sound of an
old heavy vinyl copy of Aftermath. For the new ones I don't see the necessity. Stripped
was the last one I bought on vinyl. But I think in that case the CD sounds better.
However if they put it out on old style heavy vinyl, I'd definitely be curious to hear it.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: May 21, 2005 11:53

40 Licks did come out on vinyl,limited dedition though.Saw it in Amsterdam in Palais records across from Paradiso,and also in Auckland at a little collectors shop the name of which escapes me.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 21, 2005 13:33

But it's not an official release !

Date: May 22, 2005 19:53

I figured I was out of luck with those albums. But I guess there is hope for the new album on vinyl, after all the new Robert Plant & Van Morrison albums are on vinyl so I suspect that the Stones album will be too. Virgin released Mick's last album on vinyl as well. EMI has been good about it for the most part. So we will see.

Bill

Posted by: drake ()
Date: May 22, 2005 21:55

I GUARANTEE YOU the new album will be released on vinyl, just as Bridges was released on vinyl. Official full album releases are always put out on vinyl. And I cant tell you how awesome it is to hear more people appreciate vinyl. Seriously, it gets the full sound wave, unlike cds. Crackles and pops are the medium, and its a sacrifice, but you dont loose any sound. CD is crystal clean, but misses some of the sound (particularly high end, such as cymbols, etc...)

Drake

Date: May 23, 2005 06:22

I've bought more vinyl in the last year than I have since 1990. Stuff I had no idea was available I've been able to find: Deep Purple's Bananas album, Yes-Union, The Ladder, and Somethings Coming, The Who's BBC Sessions, Led Zeppelin's BBC Sessions and the list goes on and on. I still wish that 40 Licks and Live Licks had been made available. Maybe someone like Classic Records will pick those up and do vinyl versions. Classic has done the Dylan Bootleg Series vinyl releases and the Zep BBC album. Beautiful packages done right.

Bill

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 23, 2005 09:42

I still own all of the original vinyl Stones albums I bought - up to Dirty Work. Didn't bother buying any Stones on vinyl after that.

The only one I will still play though is Made In The Shade, the first Stones album I ever bought when I was 13 years old. Snaps, crackles, pops, skips, and all...I only play it when I'm drunk and want to reminisce. There's supernatural vibes in this, I relive my youth whenever I play it. It's very sentimental.

Posted by: sherer ()
Date: May 23, 2005 12:33

i saw Forty Licks on vinyl in HMV in London and they don't stock bootlegs.. it was in the format if a box set.. already had it on CD twice so never bothered to get it.. will let you know if it's still available

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: May 23, 2005 12:56

Sherer, the box set you saw contains the CD:s (Did you miss this???), not vinyl. The only vinyl edition of Forty Licks is a bootleg, as stated above

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: May 25, 2005 03:48

I saw 40 Licks on vinyl here in Houston. I don't recall if it was a box or not (I think not) but I'm pretty sure that it was vinyl as I collect vinyl and considered buying it.

Whatever

Date: May 25, 2005 16:12

Does anyone know why Virgin did not decide to officially release this or Live Licks on vinyl? It seems with the recent upsurge in vinyl releases that these would have been two perfect albums for the format.

Bill

Posted by: john r ()
Date: May 25, 2005 17:34

No, but the Stripped 2 lp set beats the cd sound wise imo...I have the 1984 Mobile Fidelity box 'o' Stones lps, a weird mix of UK (Aftermath, the debut) & US (12 x 5, Heads) titles with inexplicable omissions (Dec Children, Now!, Flowers - yet they include the 2 disc Hot Rocks 64-71, a waste, but NOT More HR) - nice to have great sounding mono 12x5 & Heads to compliment Abkco's partly stereo cds - & the best sounding Ya Ya's I've heard is the Mofi...I loved buying all the lps for decades, starting with the octangular (?) Thru the Past Darkly, & the first US pressing of Exile (not that its easy to find mint) still beats the cd hands down for ambience, impact, etc - & has the 10 second pause (dramatically, perfect) before Let it Loose that has not been reproduced on any cd edition....

Date: May 25, 2005 19:23

Most of my Stones albums are the orginal vinyl editions. I've picked up a few resissues on vinyl, but not many. I've got the original Now! album on the red London label and it still sounds great nearly 40 years on. Of course care has been given to keep it sounding good. I did buy later editions of the first album and Got Live if You Want It.

Stripped did sound better on LP than CD, but I think that's true for any album, for the most part. No Security did too. Shame on Virgin for not putting Live Licks out on vinyl. LL has turned out to be one of my favorite live albums by the band.

Bill

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1634
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home