Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Ronnie Should Get a Solo Spot!
Posted by: erad ()
Date: March 25, 2014 08:27

Ronnie has the best solo albums by far out of any members of the Stones imo, he really should get the spotlight for a couple of tunes. He's a massive star in his own right, Ooh La La would be awesome to hear as well as tunes like Seven Days, this version from 2012 absolutely rips!

Re: Ronnie Should Get a Solo Spot!
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 25, 2014 09:08

He is 67 years old and probably a billionaire ... solo career?

If I were He, I would continue chasing babes...

2 1 2 0

Date: March 25, 2014 09:23

What I mean is a solo spot during a stones concert.

Date: March 25, 2014 09:35

erad
What I mean is a solo spot during a stones concert.

smiling smiley Absolutely! thumbs up

Posted by: ab ()
Date: March 25, 2014 09:38

Not a chance. To begin with, he sings like a chain-smoking, asthmatic chicken. At least Keith's vocals have character. There'd a mass exodus to the bathrooms for any Ronnie solo spot during a Stones show.

Also, he's not a founding member. He joined after the vast majority of their best records had already been made. He hasn't got any lead vocals on Stones albums. And they generally don't perform songs from solo albums onstage (other than the 2 times they did Sure the One You Need in 1975).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-25 09:52 by ab.

Posted by: Sespin ()
Date: March 25, 2014 10:38

Ronnie has indeed the best solo albums and (imo) a perfect bluesrock voice. But yes, they don't perform solo songs during stones concerts, even if Keith plays the same two songs for years...

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: March 25, 2014 10:55

I'd cheer him on!

Date: March 25, 2014 12:06

Ronnie is my favorit Stone as a solo artist. But it's just doesn't make sense. What if Mick and Keith also get a couple of solo songs?

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: March 25, 2014 12:14

ab
Not a chance. To begin with, he sings like a chain-smoking, asthmatic chicken. At least Keith's vocals have character. There'd a mass exodus to the bathrooms for any Ronnie solo spot during a Stones show.

Also, he's not a founding member. He joined after the vast majority of their best records had already been made. He hasn't got any lead vocals on Stones albums. And they generally don't perform songs from solo albums onstage (other than the 2 times they did Sure the One You Need in 1975).

Doesn't have to be so cut and dried does it? So f..ing what that he's not a founder member. He's been in the band for 40 years!! They could easily do a blues number where they take it turns doing a verse each. I think that would be great personally.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 25, 2014 12:24

I'd love it if they opened with Am I Groovin You with three Stones handing the vocals.
Charlie can sing on it too if he feels moved to, why not :E

Date: March 25, 2014 12:49

with sssoul
I'd love it if they opened with Am I Groovin You with three Stones handing the vocals.
Charlie can sing on it too if he feels moved to, why not :E
Love the riff on that track. "I've Got My Own Album To Do" is one of my favorite albums period. Far East Man probably being the stand out for me.

Posted by: Glammy ()
Date: March 25, 2014 13:18

He's the new guy in the band. He doesn't deserve a solo spot.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 25, 2014 13:59

never gonna happen but one tune would work might be 'I Can Feel The Fire'... indeed

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 25, 2014 15:17

Give one to Darryl and Chuck too... grinning smiley

Date: March 25, 2014 15:23

dcba

Give one to Darryl and Chuck too... grinning smiley

And especially to Chuck........winking smiley

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: March 25, 2014 15:42

No, but how about a 15-20 minute Charlie drum solo, maybe he could get one of those spinning around and upside down carnival drum sets and/or maybe some horses riding around with drums on them and Charlie could ride around and play the horse drums while fireworks shoot out of his... on second thought, no on that idea too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-25 15:43 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 25, 2014 16:24

Bring Bill Wyman back to sing "Pussy" from Monkey Grip, and then let Charlie have a 15-minute set with his jazz big band.

Date: March 25, 2014 16:31

71Tele
Bring Bill Wyman back to sing "Pussy" from Monkey Grip, and then let Charlie have a 15-minute set with his jazz big band.
grinning smiley

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: March 25, 2014 16:58

Not a solo spot, but he should be allowed to do more solos (with the exception on TD and YCAGWYW. His solos on these tracks were better by far in the seventies and eighties). And he should more prominent in the mix. His contributions are often excellent (SFTD e.g.). If the Stones want to release a new album he should write one or two tracks. He is a quite good song writer.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: March 25, 2014 17:08

duke richardson
never gonna happen but one tune would work might be 'I Can Feel The Fire'... indeed

I think the Stones catalog is too vast to start working in solo tunes like the Eagles or Fleetwood Mac does. I'll go see Don Henley solo if I want to hear The Boys of Summer or Stevie Nicks if I want to hear Stand Back.

Although I must say CSNY did a nice job of working in a lot of side project songs but they've had so many incarnations it kinda made sense.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 25, 2014 17:12

Before the show starts, he could come out and liven up the crowd with a comedy bit...maybe do some juggling also.

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: March 25, 2014 17:38

Chuck and Charlie should do a jazz solo number too....

This is why Ronnie plays and records so much outside the Stones, he is very creative and isn't allowed to showcase inside the Jaggar/Richards domination.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 25, 2014 18:09

Max'sKansasCity
71Tele
grinning smiley

Why stop there? Yoko can come out and wail inside a black bag.

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: March 25, 2014 19:06

I agree, Ronnie should also sing on 1 song the leadvocals. Its time to make something new after 50 years & Counting!!!

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: March 25, 2014 19:44

Max'sKansasCity
No, but how about a 15-20 minute Charlie drum solo, maybe he could get one of those spinning around and upside down carnival drum sets and/or maybe some horses riding around with drums on them and Charlie could ride around and play the horse drums while fireworks shoot out of his... on second thought, no on that idea too.

How about a 5 minute Bobby Keys Cadenzaconfused smiley

Date: March 25, 2014 19:49

BluzDude
Max'sKansasCity

How about a 5 minute Bobby Keys Cadenza
PERFECTO!!!

Wait... what is a 5 foot credenza?

Music ca·den·za
noun: cadenza; plural noun: cadenzas
1. a virtuoso solo passage inserted into a movement in a concerto or other work, typically near the end.

Not to be confused with a 5 foot credenza
noun: cre-den-za; plural noun: credenzas
1. a sideboard or cupboard.

Or confused with a

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-25 19:52 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: March 25, 2014 20:00

I find it hard believing that anyone following the stones hasn't realized yet:

Ronnie loves his job at the RS
He loves being Keith's co-pilot
He loves giving fillings
He loves being "Ronnie Wood of the Stones" just the way he is.

No all performers own a huge ego (problem). Ronnie is clearly one of them. I think he enjoys his current position much more than he would enjoy being the 2nd piss break, after Keith's numbers.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 25, 2014 20:28

>> I think he enjoys his current position much more than he would enjoy being the 2nd piss break, after Keith's numbers.<<

well, yeah, when you put it like that..

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: March 25, 2014 20:49

The Stones have never really been about extended solo's.
There are already lead breaks within some of their songs that work very well.
Keith said once, the Stones make and build songs….extended solo's take away from
the "band" identity, and they scream "noodling" imo.
MR and CYHMK excepted….they were built this way from day one.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 25, 2014 21:38

I wouldn't have a problem with him doing a solo song, with the rest of the band backing up. It would create a different dynamic for sure to the show.

As we seem to be getting fewer and fewer songs for each concert, my issue would be what song would we have to give up to get it?

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1584
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home