Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Live Aid + Stones = again (...?)
Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: May 20, 2005 01:28

A couple of days ago it was to be seen in the Daily Telegraph, but anyway -

"Second Live Aid show to be held in Hyde Park
By Hugh Davies
(Filed: 18/05/2005)

A second Live Aid concert is being planned, with U2, The Rolling Stones and Sir Paul McCartney all set to return.

The Prince of Wales, a guest at the first event in July 1985, has cancelled "Party in the Park", a Prince's Trust event on July 2 in Hyde Park, to make way for the show, which could run for up to 16 hours.

Despite Sir Bob Geldof's earlier claim that Live Aid II would happen "over my dead body", the unveiling of the new date is imminent.

Just about everybody in the music world is clamouring to appear in Washington or London - rumoured acts include Coldplay, Eminem, Oasis and Robbie Williams.

The BBC will again broadcast the show, which in 1985 raised £60 million and had a global audience of 1.5 billion.

The show, said to be called "Live 8", aims to put pressure on the G8 leaders meeting in Scotland to help Africa. "

...I can´t judge this information. As a non-British, newbie-Stones freak I just can feel that the three-song mini concert on the 10th last week might make this a little more likely. Or... ? Some three song... ?
- Or is this utter rubbish... I just sense this paper is to some degree more serious than some of the other´s that has been quoted.
Pardon me if I´ve posted something that´s plain crap!

Re: Live Aid + Stones = again (...?)
Posted by: tomstones ()
Date: May 20, 2005 01:40

The concert will take place, but it is still uncertain whether the Stones can get their stuff together in time. They are rumoured for the Washington show. Macca will be headliner of the show in Hyde Park, although his tour also starts in September. He has already booked his backing band for one week before the Live 8 show - I read this on his website.
It seems like the Stones have to work hard now: They have to finish their album (McCartney has recorded two albums, one all alone and one with his band - the "solo" album will be released first, the band album in time for his European leg of the World Tour) at least by mid June and then start rehearsals.
If the do the Live 8 gig, this would be the first time for them to go out dry - without a club gig before the "big" show. I fear its gonna be worse than the Toronto SARS concert, but let´s hope for the best.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: May 20, 2005 01:51

i seriously doubt the Stones will participate.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 20, 2005 01:54

They won't!

Posted by: Bruce ()
Date: May 20, 2005 08:51

More news coming in from THE SCOTSMAN, Friday 20 May 2005
[news.scotsman.com]

Geldof in secret talks for 'Live 8'

KAREN MCVEIGH

IT WAS the first of its kind and became an international symbol of idealism, passion and action against poverty through music. Now, two decades later, Live Aid II looks set to go ahead in Hyde Park on Saturday, 2 July.

After weeks of speculation and vigorous denials by Bob Geldof, it became clear yesterday that he has been holding secret talks for weeks.

He is reported to have described the idea of a sequel to the first gig as a "disaster" and insisted: "I wouldn't do it and I can't see a point to it."

However, both Capital FM and the Prince's Trust have admitted that they have cancelled their annual Party in the Park to support Geldof's event.

A spokeswoman for Capital FM said: "We have been in discussion with Bob Geldof and Live Aid. We have offered them the use of the infrastructure that has been set up in the park."

She said that while there had been no official announcement, one was imminent.

Stars reported to be "about to be confirmed" include Joss Stone, Oasis and Robbie Williams. Others rumoured to be involved include Coldplay's Chris Martin, and U2's Bono, both supporters of the Make Poverty History campaign.

The concert's aim is reportedly to pressurise world leaders into addressing the problem of Third World debt.

However, Bernard Doherty, chief executive of LD Communications, which acts as the Band Aid Trust's press office, said:

"We cannot confirm whether it is or it isn't happening until Bob Geldof announces whether it is or it isn't happening."

A spokeswoman for promoter Harvey Goldsmith, who is rumoured to be behind the project, also refused to confirm his involvement.

The charity Make Poverty History, which is set to benefit from the gig, is also under strict instructions not to talk about it.

Yesterday, a string of new names were reportedly added to the planned bill, including original Band Aid veterans Annie Lennox and Sting, as well young rockers Razorlight.

The Live Aid show, reportedly scheduled to coincide with the G8 summit in Gleneagles on Third World debt, has been dubbed "Live 8".

But, unlike the original Live Aid concert, it is understood the event will not be geared toward raising public cash.

Posted by: Bruce ()
Date: May 20, 2005 09:00

And this just in from London's The Evening Standard, Thursday May 19, 2005
[www.thisislondon.co.uk]

Live Aid II in the park

By Alexa Baracaia, Evening Standard
19 May 2005

Stars including Joss Stone, Oasis and Robbie Williams are set to be confirmed for a massive new Live Aid concert in Hyde Park this summer. The 16-hour gig, 20 years since the original Live Aid at Wembley, is being arranged to pressurise world leaders into addressing the problem of Third World debt.

Bob Geldof is understood to be behind the project and is in talks with dozens of other A-List stars to convince them to perform free.

The event comes despite his public protestations that a sequel to Live Aid would take place "over my f****** dead body".

He is reported to have described the idea as a "disaster" and insisted: "I wouldn't do it and I can't see a point to it."

But it has emerged that he has been secretly planning the event for months, along with promoter Harvey Goldsmith and film director Richard Curtis.

And today the concert came closer than ever to being confirmed, with a string of new names added to the planned bill, including original Band Aid veterans Annie Lennox and Sting, and young rockers Razorlight.

The Live Aid show is being scheduled for Saturday, 2 July to coincide with the G8 world leaders' summit in Scotland on Third World debt, and so has been dubbed Live 8.

It will be screened live on BBC and broadcast simultaneously by all major commercial radio stations - similar to the UK Radio Aid stunt earlier this year, organised to raise money for the tsunami disaster.

The Prince of Wales, a guest at the first Live Aid concert 20 years ago, has agreed to cancel this summer's Prince's Trust Party In The Park event to make way for the show.

Unlike the original Live Aid concert, it is understood the event will not be geared toward raising public cash.

In 1985, £60 million was raised by individual donations but this year's concert is being held to urge G8 leaders to address the issue of poverty in the developing world, as well as Aids and TB in Africa.

It is being backed by the Make Poverty History campaign.

Nelson Mandela is also reported to be planning to either appear live or send a message via video link.

Organisers are working behind the scenes to secure sponsorship for the concert, which could cost as much as £1 million to set up.

Live Aid at Wembley had a global audience of 1.5 billion, but with the rapid developments in satellite and digital technology it is hoped millions more will tune in this time.

A formal announcement is expected later this month, along with details of how to apply for tickets, which will be free but allocated by ballot.

About 100,000 people are expected to fill the park with a further 100,000 attending a similar event in the US city of Washington later the same day.

Plans for the gig follow the success of the Band Aid single, which took the Christmas number one slot and raised about £15 million for African aid charities.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: May 20, 2005 13:34

They can use the sponsorship money to pay the Stones because they won't do it for free. Even that Green gig they did in early 2003 they were paid for.

They didn't do Knebworth 1990 or Woodstock 1994, again you have to assume because the pay check wasn't up to it....but you never know with a big pay off coming up they may do it.

Date: May 20, 2005 13:53

As long as the Angels take care of the security it will go just fine.
Seriously English bikers (Angels?) were said to have a great day in Hyde Park in the "Brian Memorial Concert" (note quote marks) back in 69, not as badly tripped as their colleagues in Ca.
Well, I started this thread, but I have been one of the most sceoptical to this Live8-thing from the start. But like Fenway once, its getting more & more likely as I see it. I´d like to see some comments by Gazza and/or Bjornuld on this one though.

Date: May 23, 2005 14:31

I see the emphasis for this now is on a Pink Floyd reunion with Roger Waters and appearances by McCartney, U2 and Coldplay. The Stones seem to have slipped off the list.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: May 24, 2005 14:13

The stones mentioned on the bbc website <i do repeat mentioned> along with u2 & paul mccartney & joss stone.

Posted by: riffhard72 ()
Date: May 24, 2005 17:18

I hope the Stones never do a 'charity' thing ever. It doesn't fit with their image. They probably all donate large amount to charities of their choice anyway, so bollocks to it.

Date: May 26, 2005 11:29

One of the acts touted is

The spice girls!!!!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 26, 2005 12:17

Baboon Bro Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As long as the Angels take care of the security it
> will go just fine.
> Seriously English bikers (Angels?) were said to
> have a great day in Hyde Park in the "Brian
> Memorial Concert" (note quote marks) back in 69,
> not as badly tripped as their colleagues in Ca.
> Well, I started this thread, but I have been one
> of the most sceoptical to this Live8-thing from
> the start. But like Fenway once, its getting more
> & more likely as I see it. I´d like to see
> some comments by Gazza and/or Bjornuld on this one
> though.

for what its worth, I've never thought there was a chance in hell of the Stones playing this show.

I still dont

Date: May 26, 2005 12:21

Gazza Wrote:
> Baboon Bro Wrote:
---
I´d like to
> see
> some comments by Gazza and/or Bjornulf on
> this one
> though.

> for what its worth, I've never thought there was a
> chance in hell of the Stones playing this show.
>
> I still dont

- Ok, Gaz. Sounds calming.
No plink-plonk beside any Robbie Zimmerman, either, we do hope, right?

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: May 26, 2005 13:01

Just for the record its mentioned ere

[uk.news.yahoo.com]

Perhaps Mick'll pull a Spice Girl......mmmmmm which one I wonder?

Date: May 26, 2005 13:03

Come, on, ablett; they´re past 30: too old!

Date: May 26, 2005 13:09

Baby Spice?????

Posted by: Pedro99 ()
Date: May 26, 2005 13:19

The Stones din't play the first one. Can't see them playing the second one.

Date: May 26, 2005 13:30

None of the papers I've read are touting the Stones for this any more so I think it's a dead story. If they do it they'd want to be the headliners and I wonder if Pink Floyd or the Spice Girls would want to be lower down on the bill.

Date: May 26, 2005 13:37

Imagine the Spice girlsd headlining over Pink Floyd, Stones etc....there would be a riot!....

Date: May 26, 2005 13:39

Then the Stones should not play because it would distract from the cause, it is not about egos or crowd pleasing.

Date: May 26, 2005 13:56

Pergaps mick might do a duet like the last one.

Date: May 26, 2005 14:38

ablett Wrote:
> Imagine the Spice girlsd headlining over Pink
> Floyd, Stones etc....there would be a riot!....

I doubt they'll play it either.

Its only six weeks away. It doesnt give them enough time to learn how to sing "live" into a microphone...

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: May 26, 2005 19:41

the stones will not play second fiddle to macca, no way
mick will not let this happen unless the stones headline

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 26, 2005 21:40

What if....

What if the Stones headline, but are joined onstage by Macca as a grand finale encore?
We could live with that, right? It would be a meeting of the minds, a performance that would live forever in rock and roll history.
After all, if the Stones allowed that little gay fairy Jutine Timberlake join them onstage, why wouldn't they allow Sir Paul?!
It would be great!!!

Date: May 26, 2005 21:43

"that little gay fairy Justine Timberlake"

- You said it!

Date: May 27, 2005 00:35

if I banged Britney Spears AND Cameron Diaz, I could live with being called a "little gay fairy"!

Date: May 27, 2005 08:05

Hey, Gazza... Gettin old... ? Britney bloomin Spears. How interesting... ?? The Cameron girl maybe, but Spears...

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: May 27, 2005 15:03

BV, what do you think?!
We know what Gazza thinks. Hope he is wrong though. So do you Gazza, don't you?

Posted by: King Saint ()
Date: May 27, 2005 18:26

At the Last "Live Aid" U2 covered "Painted Black" (and Ruby Tuesday?) in the middle of their song "Bad". (In fact, U2 later covered "Painted Black" for a CD single.) Do any ardent Stones fans know why U2 would do that? I have my own ideas. I know Bono has visited Jagger, but how are the relations between the Stones and U2? www.elvis-conspiracy.com

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1989
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home