Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Sweet Summer Sun on BBC4 - postponed
Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: March 22, 2014 09:06

This bit would have been VERY interesting...

Green Lady
BBC4 Friday 21st March

10.10 pm The Stones At The BBC - 45 minutes of vintage clips from the BBC archives

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 22, 2014 10:22

Aquamarine
As this thread now seems to be about the Stones on TV--I was browsing tonight and found the Some Girls show on VH1 Classic, though too late to post about it. ... (Trivia question--throughout the show, there was a fuzzy blur where they had obviously obscured something written on Mick's shirt. I'm sure someone knows what it was?

It was a swastika. The word "destroy" was there too, and some other symbols.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: March 22, 2014 10:30

with sssoul
Aquamarine
As this thread now seems to be about the Stones on TV--I was browsing tonight and found the Some Girls show on VH1 Classic, though too late to post about it. ... (Trivia question--throughout the show, there was a fuzzy blur where they had obviously obscured something written on Mick's shirt. I'm sure someone knows what it was?

It was a swastika. The word "destroy" was there too, and some other symbols.

Oh, THAT shirt! I knew someone would know--thanks. smiling smiley

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: March 22, 2014 11:10

CaptainCorella

Green Lady
BBC4 Friday 21st March

10.10 pm The Stones At The BBC - 45 minutes of vintage clips from the BBC archives

Yes. What we got instead was the Kinks at the BBC (and Ray Davies solo, too) which was very enjoyable.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: March 22, 2014 11:35

Aquamarine
As this thread now seems to be about the Stones on TV--I was browsing tonight and found the Some Girls show on VH1 Classic, though too late to post about it. I think it had been preceded by another Stones show that I missed. (Trivia question--throughout the show, there was a fuzzy blur where they had obviously obscured something written on Mick's shirt. I'm sure someone knows what it was? I thought I had this show, but can't find it, and don''t remember it in that much detail!)

I think it says DESTROY that symbol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-22 14:19 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: March 22, 2014 11:38

oops- I didnt notice this had turned into page 2, and this question was already answered.

Date: March 22, 2014 22:07

Thanks for the picture, though, it makes it clearer what they were obscuring.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: March 22, 2014 23:06

Is that some of bandage on mick's arm?

Date: March 22, 2014 23:33

I think it was a scarf (the Scarf strikes again), but will take another look later.

Re: Media Respect
Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: March 23, 2014 00:21

thumbs up
Max'sKansasCity
How is not playing Stones music a sign of respect in this situation?

Music is what helps get me through tough times.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: March 23, 2014 01:15

Max'sKansasCity
Aquamarine
As this thread now seems to be about the Stones on TV--I was browsing tonight and found the Some Girls show on VH1 Classic, though too late to post about it. I think it had been preceded by another Stones show that I missed. (Trivia question--throughout the show, there was a fuzzy blur where they had obviously obscured something written on Mick's shirt. I'm sure someone knows what it was? I thought I had this show, but can't find it, and don''t remember it in that much detail!)

I think it says DESTROY that symbol

tasteless

Date: March 23, 2014 01:19

I think its saying destroy the symbol.

But then again it was the punk era, or I had two many bottles of wine HAHA

Date: March 23, 2014 01:19

Munichhilton
stonehearted
<<Mick Jagger, dancing and joking on Hyde Park Stage on BBC TV,
meanwhile the same Mick Jagger, broken, preparing the fuferal of his friend L'Wren, in LA.
>>

Ahem. It's the current tour leg that's been postponed, not their entire past, recent or otherwise.

Dammit, I just snapped Black n Blue over my knee out of respect...are we not committing to this thing people?

I'm not impressed. Throwing away all your records, videos, films, CD's and DVD's is the least you could have done. Oh and don't save your bootlegs.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: March 23, 2014 01:37

Is that an upside down jesus nailed to a cross, on Mick's shirt?

Posted by: silkcut1978_ ()
Date: March 23, 2014 01:39

Munichhilton

Dammit, I just snapped Black n Blue over my knee out of respect...are we not committing to this thing people?

I changed the title on all of my Some Girls-copies with a marker. We all have our own way to handle hard times.

Date: March 23, 2014 01:40

Food for thought?

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 23, 2014 02:22

MingSubu
Is that an upside down jesus nailed to a cross, on Mick's shirt?

Yes.

Posted by: TimeIs ()
Date: March 23, 2014 02:36

kleermaker
tasteless

No, it isn't. It's a classic punk aesthetic Vivienne Westwood (& Malcolm McLaren) T-shirt.

Photograph of Vivienne Westwood in 1977 wearing one of her infamous punk creations - the Destroy T-shirt. Made from muslin cloth and printed in lurid color, the confrontational silk-screened art combined images of an upside down crucifix, a swastika, and a small profile photo of the Queen of England. While misinterpreted by many, the graphic was meant as an angry denunciation of government, religion and fascism.

[art-for-a-change.com]
[poppybaines.wordpress.com]

Punk had a unique and complex aesthetic. It was steeped in shock value and revered what was considered ugly. The whole look of punk was designed to disturb and disrupt the happy complacency of the wider society.
[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 23, 2014 02:50

Green Lady
CaptainCorella

Green Lady
BBC4 Friday 21st March

Yes. What we got instead was the Kinks at the BBC (and Ray Davies solo, too) which was very enjoyable.

Now that sounds like an interesting broadcast, as I'm a huge Kinks fan and have the BBC double CD. I'm in the States, so is there any way that I'd be able to see it? I wouldn't mind that on DVD as well, but I'd settle for a look at a rebroadcast.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 23, 2014 09:49

odean73
Is that some of bandage on Mick's arm?

It was a garment - he wore it at the CNIB shows in 79 as well.
A long glove without the hand part. A detached sleeve. I don't know what to call it.

Posted by: HighwireC ()
Date: March 23, 2014 10:07

Date: March 23, 2014 14:01

TimeIs
kleermaker
tasteless

No, it isn't. It's a classic punk aesthetic Vivienne Westwood (& Malcolm McLaren) T-shirt.

Photograph of Vivienne Westwood in 1977 wearing one of her infamous punk creations - the Destroy T-shirt. Made from muslin cloth and printed in lurid color, the confrontational silk-screened art combined images of an upside down crucifix, a swastika, and a small profile photo of the Queen of England. While misinterpreted by many, the graphic was meant as an angry denunciation of government, religion and fascism.

[art-for-a-change.com]
[poppybaines.wordpress.com]

Punk had a unique and complex aesthetic. It was steeped in shock value and revered what was considered ugly. The whole look of punk was designed to disturb and disrupt the happy complacency of the wider society.
[en.wikipedia.org]

Tasteless and utterly insulting too. I don't understand I'm the only one who can't stand it and protests retrospectively.

Date: March 23, 2014 15:01

Posted by: MarthaTuesday ()
Date: March 25, 2014 20:49

Just thought I'd let people know that the show seems to be available on catch-up TV.

I was looking for a different show I'd missed from Friday - and noticed this was there. I watched the opening credits (haven't time to watch it all now) to check it was indeed the Stones (and not the replacement show).

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: March 25, 2014 20:57

Well I never - so it is! If you can get the IPlayer, its there. Well spotted.

Posted by: MarthaTuesday ()
Date: March 25, 2014 21:03

Green Lady
Well I never - so it is! If you can get the IPlayer, its there. Well spotted.

It was a pleasant surprise. I wasn't even looking for it!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1473
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home